Repost of an Adidas Superstar Iridescent - White & Dubai Ocean Blue AQ6278 Size 4 5 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Adidas Originals Women's Ultra Boost 3.0 in White/Crystal White BA7686 Free Ship
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Adidas NMD R1 W Black Icey Blue 3 4 5 6 7 All Sizes BY9951 SportsLockerRARE ADIDAS JAPAN JAPANESE MANGA TRAINERS ORIGINALS BLACK WHITE CARTOON SIZE 4.5
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
WMNS ADIDAS ORIGINALS DEERUPT CHALK PINK CASUAL SHOES WMN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Adidas Originals Women's Rita Ora Superstar Shoes Size 8 us S80290Adidas Originals FLB W [BY9685] Women Casual Shoes White/Tactile Green History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Adidas A17f BY9664 chaussures de sport de haute plate-forme chaussures SMITH MID1801 adidas CrazyTrain LT Women's Traning Running Shoes CG3496 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Adidas N5923 Sneakers Ash Pearl Size 6-9 Womens Shoes No NMD Boost Y-3 Ultra
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. 1802 adidas Originals Stan Smith Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CQ2815ORIGINALS FLB W FLASHBACK BLACK WHITE WOMEN SHOES BB5323Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.1711 adidas Originals Swift Run Women's Training Running Shoes CG4146
- Dansko 38 (EU) 7.5/8 (US) Crushed Velvet Clogs Brown Closed Back Career Shoes
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Pearl Cross-Strap Black Full Grain Leather Mary Janes
- Men Hugo Boss Shoes Orland_Lowp_sdny1 Sneakers Blue Size 10
- Mens Propet Summit Walker M6026 Outdoor Hiking Trail Boots Size 8.5 M
- Alfani Crown Leather Oxfords Black Men's 9 M US - MSRP $99
- Giorgio Brutini Mens Candent 21094 Leather Wingtip Oxford Dress Shoe Gray 9.5 11
- men's shoes +2 MADE IN ITALY 8 () slip on blue leather BZ452-B
- New Women Breckelles Dorado-18 Suede Fringe Cap Toe Ankle Bootie Size
- Mi Bottes BARRATTS Daim Marron Clair T4 (37) TTBE
- Womens Ladies Fashion Suede Leather Rabbit Fur High Heel Ankle Boots Shoes Rainb
- VINTAGE LEATHER EUROPEAN PLATFORM BOOTS IVORY BULGERIA WOOL LINED 7.5 M TALL
- G By Guess Dukke Boots Black Faux Leather Size 8
- OluKai Men's HIAPO Flip Flops Shoes 10US BROWN Leather NWOB $110 MSRP
- Asics Onitsuka Tiger TIGER CORSAIR shoes Mid gray × white Japan New F/S
- Salvatore Ferragamo Desert 2 Chalk White Leather Sneakers - Mens 10.5 D
- Mens Chaco Sandals Sports Trail Hiking Comfort Size 14 Black Gray Excellent Cond
- Nike 749340-001 Men Zoom Pegasus 32 Black White Running Athletic Shoes Size 11.5
- Men/Women Men's Shoe's Big clearance sale product quality Great choice
- Chic Mens Outdoor Fashion Waterproof Walking Trail Premium Boots Tactical Shoes#
- Stacy Adams Men's Trickster Moc Toe Chukka Boot 53419
- Fiesso By Aurelio Garcia Men's Boots F16090 Black leather and SuedeSize 8 NEW
- FootRests by Hytest 6" Black Met Guard Men's EH F Safety Boot 6 3E
- RED WING 6692 6" Aluminum Toe EH Work Boot Men's Size 9.5(US) RETAIL $179
- COLE HAAN NIKEAIR C08204 MENS BROWN LEATHER SLIP-ON COMFORT LOAFERS SIZE 11M
- NEW adidas Terrex CC Voyager BB1892 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Christian Louboutin White Naseeba Flat Latte Rainbow Red Multicolor Ankle Strap Slide Sandals Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Colinne 110 Siutta Pl Shooting Bronzo Pumps Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Zara Red Crisscross Flats Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- NWOB Nike Air Presto Fly 908019-600 Gym Red/White Mesh Shoes Size 10
- ECCO Men's CrepeTray Tie Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Gentleman/Lady：adidas Women's Questar Drive W, - Choose SZ/Color：Modern Fashion
- Nike Air Max Uptempo All Star 95 QS SIZE 8.5 9/10 Condition
- Adidas Women's Response Trail 21 Flash Orange/Silver Met Fashion Sneakers Shoes
- Nike Womens Air Huarache Run - 634835 108
- 2005 Womens Nike Shox NZ Gray/Anthracite Boots! Size 9.5 $160.00
- INC International Concepts Womens Taytee Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Heel M
- Jordan 31 All Star Size size 9.5 asg Nike air basketball used bred royal green b
- NIKE Men's Fs Lite Trainer 4 University Red/Black-stealth 11.5 D(M) US
- Sexy Womens Patent Leather Pointy Toe Stretchy Ankle Boots High Heels Zip Shoes
- Bearpaw Women's Elle Tall Winter Boots, 12" Classic Suede Blk NeverWet Tech US9M
- Alaïa midcalf zipped luxury booties in black suede leather Size US 9 -
- Womens Synthetic Leather Loafers Slip on Flats Casual Shoes Driving Walkin Color
- MINNETONKA MOCCASIN COLOR brown ALL LEATHER Moccasins - Man Size 9
- NWOB FRYE Melanie Metallic Leather Slip On Shoes 71254 Gunmetal Size 8M
- DANSKO MIDORI BLACK LEATHER MARY JANE CLOG SHOES 7305020200 SIZE 37 = SIZE 6.5
- Andre Assous Women's Maddie Pointed Toe Flat, Black, 7.5 M US
- NEW SUPERGA WOMENS 2790 COTROPEW SIZE 10
- Women's Asics Gel-kayano 25 running shoes.Carbon/mid grey. US size 7.5 medium.
- Nike Shox Avenue SE Running Shoes Size 9 Womens Athletic Silver Gray Green White
- LADIES "CLARKS" BLACK LEATHER SLIP ON LOAFER SHOES W/BUCKLE DETAIL 8M
- DANSKO Black Leather & Metallic Gold Loafers Women's Size 41 Medium EUC
- NIB $1250 KITON Dark Slate Gray Low-Top Calf Leather Sneakers US 9 (It 8) Shoes
- Men's REVERSE tan faux leather moccasins loafers slip on shoes style F41016
- Mens Cole Haan N*ke Air Brown Leather Loafer Slip On Shoes Size 10.5M
- Puma Men's Trinomic Blaze of Glory x Swash WTA 'London' 358851-01 Sz: 8.5,9,9.5
- Men's Shoes Johnston & Murphy "Heritage" Oxfords Dark Burgundy Leather Size 10D
- Retro Fur Balls Women Winter Winter Faux Suede Rivet Snow Mid-calf Boots US4-9
- Michael Antonio MULTI-COLOR Patch SUEDE Fashion BOOTS
- NIB Lucky Brand Mercerr Pointy Toe Fringed Bootie Boots Honey Oiled Suede Sz 8
- J. Renee women's boots 7.5 black leather leopard applique' classic vintage leath
- Womens Tall Rain Boots Featuring Graffiti Artwork Waterproof Wellies Size 10
- Camper Pelotas 87 White Mens Fashion Sneaker Size 43M
- Moreschi Sz 10 Slip On Casual Dress Leather Green Perforated Suede Loafers Shoes
- Men's/Women's dsquared shoes 44 Long-term reputation high quality Fine wild
- NIKE JORDAN HYDRO 7 WHITE/ROYAL BLUE/GRAY IRIDESCENT STRAP SPORT SANDALS MENS SZ
Adidas Falcon Kylie Jenner Chunky Core Black Light Pink Womens Trainers B28126
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, 1805 adidas SUPERSTAR SLIP-ON Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes AC8582the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Adidas I-5923 W Scarpe Donna Originals Casual Scarpe da Ginnastica Blue D97350adidas Womens Terrex Agravic Speed Trail Running Shoes Trainers Sneakers Black.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Adidas NMD R1 Roller Cream Clear Brown-Clear Brown-White CG2999 Women size 6-11
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. 1710 adidas Originals Superstar 80s Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes BZ0644After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Adidas Originals Womens Pharrell Williams Tennis Hu Shoes Size 5 to 10 us DB2553when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Adidas NMDR2 W CQ2007 pink halfshoes
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Adidas Women's TERREX Choleah Padded CW CP Boots Size 5 to 10 us S80749adidas Originals Tubular Defiant Women's Core White/Core White/Core White BB4234specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.WMNS ADIDAS GAZELLE CORE BLACK CASUAL SHOES WOMEN'S SELECT YOUR SIZEAdidas Originals Women's Superstar BW Slip-on Shoes Size 7.5 us BY9139
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Adidas ZX FLUX ADV VERVE BB2284 sneakers running sneakers womanadidas originals sneakers i-5923 W d97350 CELESTEThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,ADIDAS SCARPA SNEAKER NERO DONNA ART. S75897 TUBULAR DEFIANT WADIDAS SNEAKERS EQT RACING ADV PK W BLACK WHITE CQ2243 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Adidas Tubular X 2.0 W Womens BY9748 PEAGRE,PEAGRE,OWHITE Womens Size 9.5
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Shoes Adidas Superstar 80s new bold platform CQ2365 core black blackand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, ADIDAS SHOES EQT SUPPORT ADV - WHT - 5 (4059811356345)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
adidas Womens Crazyflight Bounce W Volleyball Shoes 4.5 UK
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Zapatos ADIDAS Mujer ARGENTO BB2271The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Women Adidas AC8509 Prophere Running shoes black Sneakerscounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,1710 adidas Originals Flb Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes BY9301 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Women Adidas CQ2475 Superstar OG Running shoes white black sneakersAdidas Shoes Originals Tubular Defiant W s75250 Unisex white Mesh Sneaker Sport
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given