Repost of an Adidas Gazelle Womens BY2852 Mid Grey White Gold Nubuck Leather Shoes Size 10 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Adidas NMD Primeknit R1 W Salmon Pink Glitch Camo Onix Sunglow BB2361 Women 5-11
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.adidas Women’s Supernova GTX W Running Shoes Black (Core Black/Sun Glow ) 5 UKadidas Womens Supernova Running Shoes Orange (Energy/Ftwr White/Easy Orange)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Wood Wood x Adidas Consortium Ultra Boost Size 7.5 AF5779 WMNS Uncaged Used Rare
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Adidas Cloudfoam Qt Flex Womens Casual Shoe AQ1622 BLACK Womens Size 9.5Adidas Eqt Racing Adv W Womens AC7350 White,CROYAL,CBLACK Womens Size 7 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Adidas EQT Support ADV Womens B37538 Mint Aqua White Knit Running Shoes Size 6Adidas Eqt Racing Adv Womens Style : By9798 Black/Black/Off White Size 7.5 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
women's adidas raw pink nmd
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Adidas Ultra Boost Uncaged Zapatillas de Mujer Zapatillas S80779 Zapatos Muestraadidas Women's Originals Falcon Suede Trainer Shoes GG8 Black BB9173 Size 9Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Adidas Women's Ultra Boost LTD 4.0 Multi-Color Blue White Size 8.5 (BB6148)
- Sanita Clogs Wooden Mules Wood Professional Shoes 7.5 Black Patent
- Naot Women's Matai Mary Jane Metal Leather/Black Suede Comfort Shoes
- Gentlemen/Ladies Rocky Long Range Waterproof Western Boot Exquisite (middle) workmanship online shop Fashion versatile shoes
- Retro Men Canvas Loafers Slip on Breathable Ethnic Casual Fashion Flat ShoesA484
- Men's Loafers Shoes Slip On Pointy Toe Casual PU Leather Military Metal Decor
- native Men's Monaco Low CT Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Polo Ralph Lauren Size 11 HALFORD Charcoal Gray Fashion Sneakers New Mens Shoes
- Nine West Women's ESHELLA, Dark Grey Fabric, 6 Medium US
- Womens Gray 1.5" Low Hidden Heel Side Buckle Sexy Knee Boot Size 7
- VANELi Womens Zandra Black Nappa Size 7.5 pF5h
- Men's/Women's Dr.Martens Shoes 912672 Red 4 wholesale Reliable performance King of the crowd
- Sam Edelman Salina Suede Ankle Sexy Boots Booties Black Sz 11 Shoes
- NEW adidas Copa 17.1 FG BA8516 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- ASOLO Supremacy Waterproof Boots (For Men)
- MEN'S DIADORA HERITAGE EQIUPE STONE WASH 12 BLACK/GREY 156988-01-C2067 MSRP$235
- OLUKAI 'OHANA MUSTANG/ MUSTANG 10110A- 1313 OC FLIP FLOPS MENS 11
- Aravon Women's Erica Mid Calf boots black leather side zip size 7B
- Nike Air Black Prestiege 407036-090 High Top Shoes Men's Sz 8.5 M
- Nike 6.0 Canvas Skate Shoes. Gray-Blue-light Greenish Yellow Tongue Strap. Sz 8
- Mens Forces Army Military Climbing Tactical Combat Desert Ankle Boots Outdoors
- NEW Nike MEN Manoa Leather BROWN 454350-208 WINTER BOOTS SHOES SNOW size 6
- G.H. BASS 'Brodie' Light Brown Leather Casual Engineer Boot Sz. 13M
- CALTO - G30335 - 2.6 Inches Elevator Height Increase Dark Brown Ankle Boots
- Magnum Tactical Response 8.0 Combat Police Army Military Side Zip Boots UK4-14
- New NIKE TANJUN (812654-011) MENS FASHION SNEAKERS RUNNING SHOES
- Man/Woman Jollys Men's Classic Clog Navy Clogs online sale In short supply Cost-effective
- Christian Louboutin Black 3130694 Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Chocolate Carma Air D20467 Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Grey Air Max Thea Jaccard Sneakers Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Men's Nike Hyperdunk 2017 Flyknit - "Multicolor" Black (917726 006)
- Puma MCQ Move Mid White White Gold Blue Men Sz 8 - 10
- PUMA X Fenty Rihanna Bow Creeper Sandals 7.5 MSRP $140 NEW
- Nike Magista Orden II FG RIO brazil neymar 843812-375 sz 11 CLEATS
- Adidas WOMEN'S CLOUDFOAM QT FLEX SHOES Sport Style CG5785 Sneakers Comfort
- NIKE - LUNARTEMPO DARK BLUE/FUCHSIA SNEAKER SZ 7, RETAIL $95
- 100% AUTHENTIC BROOKS TRANSCEND 4 120239 1B 476. NEW IN BOX. GREAT SHOES!
- New Womens Pointy Toe Block Heel Knee High Boots Fashion Winter Plus Sz 10.5
- 2007 Nike Air Force 1 men's 10 Premium Mr Shoe/Baltimore 315180-121
- 13 New Nike Air Unlimited NikeLab Purple Smoke Men's Shoes 854318 551 Size 10
- Pleaser DELIGHT-1018SK Women's Denim Blue Canvas Neon White Ankle Mid-Calf Boots
- Sam Edelman Women's Benjie Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/color
- Navy Slip On Only Sexy Met Suede Cute Narrow Wedding Womens Ballet Flats Shoes
- Womens Ecco Deluxe Mox Loafer Shoe Black Leather A US 10 10.5
- Irregular Choice Puppy Love Women's Spotted Ballerina Flat Dog Style Pumps New
- NWOT - TORY BURCH MINNIE TRAVEL BALLET FLATS TAPESTRY GEO DESIGN 6.5M
- Twiste X Women's Hooey Multi Color Casual Shoe WHYC003
- MOSCHINO Black Leather Gold Heart Cutout Plate Loafers Shoes Italy 36 6 GORGEOUS
- Salomon Women's X-Mission 3 CS W Trail Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- adidas W adistar Tour-W Womens Tour 6-spike Golf Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- Hoka Clifton 3 Pink Raspberry Road Running Shoes Women's SZ 7
- SKECHERS Women's Sz 9.5 Brown Fashion Sneakers Leather Upper Model 3478 EXCND!
- Dansko Womens Twin Pro Clog- Pick SZ/Color.
- ECCO Mens Size 44 US Brown Track 6 GTX Moc Toe Work Shoe Leather
- Yuketen Chukka Boot Us8Cml Suede Shoes (89581
- Cole Haan Two Tone Leather Slip On Venetian Loafer 11.5 M Cognac & Walnut Luxury
- Mens Loafers Shoes Men Casual Shoes Soft Brand Men's Casual Shoes Zapatos Hombre
- SKECHERS Skechers Relaxed Fit Quantum Flex Hudzick Mens Sneakers
- Women Fashion Grey Warm Ankle Boots Fur Plush Round Toe Soft Leather Shoes- 5
- Black Sequins Winter Long Fur Inside A Sexy Knee Boot Size 6.5
- Bella Vita Tanner II Women's Grey Platform Tall Boot 6.5W
- NEW Dr Martens LesBootlf Women's Brown Winter Fur Ankle Boots Size 7
- Women’s Laredo Cowboy Boots 52012 Size 7.5 Back Zip
- Eastland Downtown Moc Toe Leather Oxford US Shoe Size Men's 9 $155.00
- Gentleman/Lady Florsheim Mens Blaze Plain Toe Oxford Many styles Quality and quantity guaranteed Cheap order
- WOOL 100% Royal blue MEN'S CASUAL RUNNING SHOE COMFORTABLE BRAND NEW Lemouton
- Cobian Men's Movember Flip Flop Brown 10 M US
adidas Iniki Runner Womens In Petrol Night, 8.5
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Adidas I-5923 W Zapatos Mujer Originales Informal Zapatillas Deportivas Blancothe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:NIB adidas x Stella McCartney ClimaCool CC Revolution Sneakers Pearl Rose S80830[AQ5933] Womens Adidas Ultra Boost W Ultraboost Running Sneaker - Blue Black.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
adidas Solar Boost Women's Mystery Ink/Clear Mint/Real Lilac BB6602
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Women’s adidas NMD R1 PK BY9864 Size 9.5 Green Camo Glitch PinkAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Women’s Adidas NMD R1 W Nomad Ash Pearl Chalk Pink Salmon 3M White Sz 9.5 Shoeswhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
adidas Ultra Boost X Women's White/Crystal White/Grey BB3433
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Womens Adidas Ultra Boost 9.5 Pink NibLATE 2018 ADIDAS STELLA McCartney ULTRA BOOST X ORANGE PINK [BB6266] Size 7 NEWspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Adidas Falcon White Size 7(BB6154) WOMEN'S ADIDAS RUNNING ULTRABOOST SHOES ASH GREEN *NEW*
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Ultra Boost 2.0 Clear Green Size 7 Womenadidas Equipment Support ADV Womens in Core Black/Clear Aqua, 9They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,New Stan Smith II P4 Adidas Adicolor Pink Miss Piggy LE Sneakers Size 6 FLAWSAdidas Falcon Shoes | 8.5 | New With Box | Cloud White/ Crystal White tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
ADIDAS Stella McCartney PURE BOOST X SHOES CP8886 US WOMENS SZ 5-9
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Adidas Women's Solar Boost Running Training Shoes Black - BC0674and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Adidas NMD R1 White Pink BY9952 Women's Size 6.5 2017 Release Runningdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Adidas by Stella McCartney Women's adizero Adios Shoes - AQ2672
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. ADIDAS NMD R1 SHOES WHITE/GOLD b37650 US WOMENS SZ 5-11The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, ADIDAS NMD XR1 DUCK CAMO PINK BA7753 BRAND NEW BOXED UK SIZES 6.5 & 7 AVAILABLEcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,ADIDAS WOMENS ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR WHITE BLACK CASUAL SHOES 2018 **BEST SELLER tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.adidas Originals Tubular Dawn Women's Black/Black/Black BZ0629Adidas Originals I-5923 W [D97351] Women Casual Shoes White/Raw Indigo-Gum
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Adidas Ultraboost Sns X Social StatusADIDAS BY JEREMY SCOTT JSW TIGER TRAINERS WHITE B26037 SNEAKERS 9/3EU
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given