Repost of an Women Adidas UltraBoost Size 10 New w/ Box from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Adidas Superstar Blush Pink Junior S76623 /US 4.5/
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Adidas Falcon Black And Pink Size 7 Kylie Jenneradidas Performance Women's Edge Lux w Running-Shoes
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Adidas Ultraboost X [BB6161] Women Running Shoes Triple White/White
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.US:6 adidas Originals Women's SAMBA W SNEAKERS RUNS 1/2 SZ BIG FITS LIKE 6.5Adidas NMD US W 6.5 Utility black BY3035 DEADSTOCK History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.adidas Equipment Support ADV Womens in Core Black/Clear Aqua, 9Adidas Originals Women's Ultraboost 4.0 in Cloud White/Carbon Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
ADIDAS KAMANDA 01 BROWN TAN UK SIZES 4-13 B96522
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Adidas By Stella McCartney Black Ultraboost Parley Sneakers Size 6.5Women's Adidas PureBOOST X ATR Black White Oreo Running Shoes Size 11 / 44 EURAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.WOMAN NIKE AIR MAX 97LEA SMOKEY MAUVE/SMOKEY MAUVE AQ8760-200
- RIEKER DORIS 85 BRONZE 41385 SLIP-ON ANTI-STRESS LOAFER WOMEN'S 40 / 9 - 9.5
- Alegria Women's Kayla Clog Black Nappa 38 EU/8-8.5 M US
- NIB ECCO BIOM GRIP MENS SHOES CREEK SLIP-ON~7-7.5~GREY~AWESOME SHOE'S
- Church'S Fairfield Last81 Wing Chip Suede Shoes 026,403 Copper (40118
- Mens PU Ostrich Leather Buckle Slip On Snake Smart Formal Italian Design Shoes
- SKECHERS Men's 64260/BLK SEGMENT RILAR Black Size 11
- Dr MARTENS Casual Work Ankle Boots Size 8 US/7UK Men Made in ENGLAND
- Calvin Klein Aubrey Color Block Suede Ankle Zip Boot Purple Orange Brown 6
- Born black leather tall boots sz 7 riding low heel buckles zipper
- Womens Size 7STUART WEITZMAN Littleneck Black Suede Bootie Shoes
- Demonia Huge 3" Vegan Lavender Bat Wing Creepers Punk Goth Mod Womens 6-11
- Gentleman/Lady Booties Black Great variety Known for its good quality Elegant and stable packaging
- ASICS Men's Gel Lyte 3 III Illusion Black/White H425N.9001 Sz 12
- Jimmy Choo Grey Leopard Grove Slip on Sneakers Shoes size 42
- Clarks 26085012 Mens Un.Bend Brown Leather 14 XW US,14 3E US
- CMP Rigel Low Trekking Shoe WP Men Walking Shoes Trekking sandal - NEW
- Mocassins noirs femme Thunderbird II Minnetonka 36 NEUVES
- Reebok Work 'n' Cush Lthr KC V68641 Trainers~MENS SIZES~US 6.5 to 15~UK SELLER
- mens navy blue 'Nike' Air Prestige 3 High SI basketball shoes size 13
- Dakota M6" Mammoth Composite Toe/Plate Men's Black Work Boots 10M
- Men's/Women's Crevo Blake - Grey - Mens Reputation first Let our products go to the world Very good color
- DANNER 69210 Insulated Acadia Gore-Tex Boots Black Sz Men's 10.5 D Vibram Sole
- Nike SFB Special Field Mens Sz 9.5 Boots 365954-002 Black 9" High Military 44-13
- Laredo Men's Chocolate & Tan Boots LA1012
- Dopievel Steel toe cap Safety Industrial and Construction Shoe-8B(M)
- NIB $190 Converse by John Varvatos CTAS Side Zip Hi Black/Bel 153884C USMens10.5
- Stuart Weitzman Black Suede Highland Over The Knee Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Standout Platforms Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Guess Tan/ Gold Cardio Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Mens Nike Air Force 1 High 07 Basketball shoes size 11.5 US 315121-118
- Balenciaga Blue Leather Resort Sneakers Size 10/44
- Man's/Woman's: nike-CESARE PACIOTTI size 7: Classic style
- Air Jordan Pure Money 7 Size 10.5
- Womens Adidas NMD R1 PK Primeknit Sneakers New, Raw Pink BY9648 sz 10
- New Nike Tanjun SE Port/Wine/Dark Running Training Shoe 844908-602 Womens Size 9
- Propét Womens olivia Low Top Bungee Fashion Sneakers
- Sam Edelman 8.5 M Penny Brown Leather Knee High Block eel Zip Boots
- Nike LeBron Soldier XI 11 SFG Silver Bullet Silver Red 897646 007 Size 11 New
- Nike Flyknit Lunar3 698181-800 Hot Lava/Volt/Laser Orange/Black Men Shoes Sz 12
- Womens Pointed Toe Boots Embroidery Dragon Wedding Stiletto High Heel Shoe Hai1
- PLEASER Sexy Pewter Platform Black Velvet & Rhinestone 6" Heels Ankle High Boots
- SERGIO ROSSI Black suede ultra high heel ankle boots gold graphic trim zip SZ 41
- Womens Real Leather Handmade Flowers Round Toe Flats Casual Loafers Shoes D556
- Nine West Women's Hidrate Leather Fashion Sneaker, Grey, 11 M US
- Propet Washable Walker Womens in Black, Bone, White
- Men's/Women's Vince Camuto Women's Celindan Ballet Flat Rich design Orders are welcome Exquisite processing
- L’Artiste by Spring Step Women's Caicos-Cam Mary Jane Flat
- Salming Miles Women's Running Shoe - SS16-8 - Pink
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Abbott Curvy T-Strap Sandal Khaki Leather
- Nike Air Max 95 SE Womens 918413-001 Black Brushed Metal Running Shoes Size 10
- Browning Ladies Duck Shoes Boots Steel Shank Removable liners 6M Leather Upper
- LINEA BLACK LEATHER HEELED CHELSEA BOOTS US 7
- Georgia Boot Men's 12" Wedge Wellington Work Boot,Barracuda Gold,11 M
- New Men's Fiesso 2014 World Soccer Slip On Driver Shoes 7-13 FI 2132 wht/grn/red
- Farah Mens Slip On Chapel Leather Shoes Black Ox Blood FAR0031
- Men Round Toe Slip On Faux Suede Leather Loafers Driving moccasin-gommino Shoes
- DR. MARTENS MEN'S ASHRIDGE SD INDUSTRIAL OXFORD BROWN 12 MEDIUM 11 UK $125
- Justin Pink Leather Western Roper Cowboy Boots Style L3065 Womens Size 4.5 B
- Minnetonka Vienna Ankle Boot DUSTY BROWN Sz 9 BRAND NEW with Box
- Gentleman/Lady Vintage Anne Klein Couture Boots service New style retail price
- Black Suede ThighHigh Boots by Barney's New York sz 6 $425
- Merrell Prevoz Women's Brown Waterproof Boot 5M
- Cole Haan Men's Pinch Weekender Lx Penny Loafer
- Cole Haan Men's Air Grant Ginger and Orange Leather Slip-On Loafer Boat Shoe
- Adidas Originals Ultraboost Uncaged in Carbon/Core Black/Flat White DA9163 BNIB
- NEW TEVA Alp Hiking Sandals Red Upper Webbing Casual Men's US 9M SHIPS TODAY!
adidas ULTRA BOOST 4.0 WOMENS white white BB6308 NEU
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, adidas Ultraboost X Women's Clear Grey New, BB1695the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Adidas NMD XR1 PK W BB3685Adidas Originals x Parley Women's Ultraboost X in Raw Grey/Carbon AQ0421 BNIB.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Men Sz 6 Runs Small Triple White
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. New Adidas Originals NMD R1 Nude/Light Pink Size 7After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Adidas Women Originals Stan Smith Primeknit Shoe White pink BZ0115 UK3.5-6.5 04'when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
1709 adidas Originals Stan Smith Shock Primeknit Women's Sneakers Shoes BY9251
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Adidas Ultra Boost 4.0 Women's Size 8 Ash Pearl Pink Pk Retro BB6309Adidas Women Originals Superstar 80s Primeknit Casual Shoes BB5095 UK3.5-6.5 04'specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.adidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit Womens Linen/Crystal White/White CQ2030WMNS ADIDAS ORIGINALS TUBULAR SHADOW OFF WH RUNNING SHOES WMN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. adidas originals Falcon Triple White B28128 women running shoes sneakersadidas Originals Eqt Support Mid Adv Sneakers In Black And PinkThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Adidas Originals Superstar Bold W [BA7667] Women Casual Shoes Black/White-Gold[Adidas] CQ2134 Ultra Boost ST Women Running Shoes Sneakers Black Hit tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Adidas NMD R1 W - Core Black/Core Black/Lush Ink
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” adidas Womens Fabela X Hockey Shoes Pitch Field Navy Blue Sports Lightweightand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Adidas Energy Boost ESM W [B40902] Running Blue/Pink-Whitedangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Adidas Women's Training Crazy Elite Training Sneakers Blue CG 3222 Size 5-11
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. scarpe adidas superstar con glitter neroThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Adidas Originals I-5923 W [B37971] Women Casual Shoes Super Pop/White-Gumcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,ADIDAS SPORTSCHUHE EQT EQUIPMENT SUPPORT SCHWARZ TÜRKIS GR.36-40,5 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Zapatos Adidas iniki I-5923 W zapatillas D97530 Boost tiza azul mujerAdidas Superstar Crème avec or Rose Bouchon en Métal Ltd Restant Neuf Boîte
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Adidas Sneakers Nmd_R2 Pk W BY9520 Light GreyAdidas Originals Superstar 3D 80s W-Women's Sneaker White/Cooper Sneakers Shoes
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given