Repost of an Womens Adidas Ultra Boost X Stella McCartney Running Shoes Orange Size 8 1/2 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Adidas Coneo QT F99357 light blue halfshoes
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Women’s Adidas NMD R2 W Shoes Sneakers CQ2008 Size 8 Blue BoostAdidas Stella McCartney Adizero Adios Silver/Grey/Blush Womens Sneakers - Size 8
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Women's adidas PureBounce+ Running Raw Steel/Legend Ink/Chalk Pearl D96595 GRY
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Adidas By Stella McCartney Women's Pure Boost X Shoes Size: 8. BY1970adidas NMD XR1 PK BB2368 NWB History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.WMNS (SZ 6.5) Sneaker Runner Adidas ultra Boost 2.0 'Oreo' (LIMITED)Adidas NMD_R1 W PK BB2363 Size 10 Women’s Running Shoes Shock Pink/black Camo Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Women's adidas EQT Support ADV Casual Clear Mint/White/Hi-Res Aqua B37538 MNT
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. [CG2999] Womens Adidas Originals NMD_R1 Running Sneaker - Clear Brownadidas TERREX FAST R MID GTX W - Grey - WomensAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Adidas Originals Superstar Up Strap White Black Women's Sz 8 Sneakers S81351 NEW
- Women’s Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit Size-9.5 “Glacier Blue” Platinum (849557 014)
- Fabulicious Women's Chic 26 Black Velvet/Satin/Black Matte Party Shoes
- Armani Jeans Trainers AM506/13 Shoes Men Size 11.5 gray black white yellow
- Gentleman/Lady BLACK SHOES MEN'S SIZE 13 Many varieties New design unique
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Camo House Blend Casual Shoes Sneakers Men's Size 8.5
- Propet Landon Sneaker - Men's Size 10H (3E) - Brown
- Men's Cole Haan Black Leather Penny Loafers US 8.5 M
- Amanda Smith Beige Brown Jeans Print Stretch Fabric Bardo Heels Boots 6.5M BN1
- VANS Womens Reily Beige Suede Leather Faux Fur Trim Boots Sz US 10
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Miles Ankle Boots 259, Black, 10 US / 40 EU
- Hot Women England Round Toe Winter Fashion Flats Lacu Up High Top Ankle Boots
- Man/Woman Merrell Winter/Hiking boots size 6.5 US Charming design Ranked first in its class Shopping promotion
- Saturdays NYC Quentin low sneaker, new in box
- New Rock Style M.654-S1 Mens Ankle Boots (Black)
- Nike Air Max 180 Ultramarine qs sw vapormax plus 97 1 98 270 615287 100 MEN 11
- OLUKAI 'OHANA DARK JAVA/ RAY 10110A-4827 OC MENS FLIP FLOPS MENS 9
- Munro 7.5 Brown Zip Oxford Women's Shoe
- Mens Footjoy Golf Shoes White Black Wingtip Buckle 9N Metal Spikes Vtg
- Men's Casual Korean Fashion Sneakers Athletic Flat Heels Running Trainers Shoes
- Men's Boots Special Force Combat Side Zipper Work Security Boots Cosplay Shoes
- Cabela’s Men’s Heavy Duty Hunting Hiking Winter Boots Insulated Canada Size 9
- Man's/Woman's Rocky S2V Tactical Military Boot Practical and economical discount comfortable
- Acme Western 4607 Cowboy Boots Size 8.5 D Men
- Dos De Leather Cowboy Boots Eel Skin Pointed Toe SZ 5/24 Maroon Orange
- SKECHERS Skechers Relaxed Fit Quantum Flex Hudzick Mens Sneakers
- Florsheim Men's Tempo Moc Ox Black leather Shoes 11518-001
- Christian Louboutin Blue Trezuma Denim Lurex Sandal Stiletto Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Sergio Zelcer Brown Winger Platform Stiletto Heel Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Silver Velvet Toe Tone Leather Closed - Stunning Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's Training Shoe US 10.5 Metcon DSX Flyknit 852930-402
- RALPH LAUREN COLLECTION MEN'S NAVY SUEDE BOAT SHOES, 9.5 D, $595
- Puma Fierce Knit Training Women's Shoes Size
- NIKE HYPERVENOM PHELON 3 DF FG BLACK ON BLACK SIZE 10.5 NEW W/BOX (917764-001)
- Adidas Tubular Shadow Womens Style : Cq2460 CBLACK,CBLACK,OWHITE Womens Size 5.5
- Nike FREE TR FlYKNIT5 "Wolf Grey" WMN sz:5.5 Running Casual Shoe 718785-001
- Womens Fur Furry Bowknot Side Zip Stilettos High Heel Ankle Boots Elegant Shoes
- NAUGHTY MONKEY Womens FEMME FATALE Taupe Knee Boot US 6; (NMTB0008-277)
- MEN'S NIKE AIRMAX IVO WHITE BLACK TRAINER 580518-106
- Nike KD Kevin Durant 7 Weatherman 653996 303 Size 10 NDS OG ALL Nice Sneaker
- American Rag Aleonna Women Round Toe Synthetic Brown Knee High Boot
- Womens Winter Faux Fur Over Knee Boots Block Heels Shoes Zipper Ridding Shoes M2
- FRYE Women's Carson Harness Cognac Washed Antique Pull Up 9 M US
- Roots W006BM Black Oiled Leather Mules Clogs Flats Women's Size 7 M
- Gentlemen/Ladies Women's Canvas Slip-On Long-term reputation New products in 2018 TRUE
- Men's/Women's NEW CHIARA FERRAGNI WOMENS BALLET FLATS Reputation first Preferred material Caramel, gentle
- Vegan Arcopedico L45 Black/Beige Leopard Mary Jane Flats (US 9)
- Munro Women's Brown Suede Ramie Loafer 2527 Size 6.5M
- Balance Women's WT410v5 Cushioning Trail Running Shoe, Black, 8.5 D US
- Comfortiva Women's Shayla Fringe Thong Sandal Parchment Vegetable Leather
- WOMENS SAUCONY TRIUMPH ISO LADIES RUNNING/SNEAKERS/FITNESS/GYM SHOES
- Sanita Blue Shoes Clogs Womens Size 36 5.5 6
- DR. MARTENS WOMEN'S SHOREDITCH 7-EYE BOOTS CHERRY RED CANVAS 6 MEDIUM 4 UK $90
- Hush Puppies Irving Banker Mens Slip-On LoaferW US- Choose SZ/Color.
- TRETORN MEN'S OR WOMEN'S ALKARR SNEAKERS - MEN'S SZ 6.5 - WOMEN'S SIZE 8 - NEW!
- Fashion Mens Velvet Rivet Loafers Slip On Low top Dress Breathable Leisure Shoes
- Breathable buckle mens slip on casual business driving shoes comfort mesh shoes
- Merrell Kangaroo Brown Leather Slip On Athletic Hiking Shoes Men's Size 10
- Steve Madden Womens Black Suede Booties Size 8.5 Side Zipper
- Fornarina Sportglam Funlight Boots Fashion Sneakers Shoes $150 NEW
- J Crew Womens Boots Size 10 Brown Suede Pull On Block Heel
- Vintage Retro Miss Capezio Knee High Brown Leather Riding Boots Woman`s 6 1/2 M
- Hot Women Fashion Suede Pointy Toe Flower bead metal stiletto Rhinestone Shoes
- Royal Elastics Icon 1805 Leather White Red Blue Men Casual Shoes 02082-109
- OluKai Men's Kahu POW!WOW! Slip On Sneaker Carbon/Vintage Indigo Textile
- Onitsuka Tiger MEXICO 66 Sneakers Men's Casual Shoes Sports OATMEAL 1183A201-250
- NEW MERRELL DOWTOWN FLIP FLOP SPORT SANDALS MENS 10 BROWN LEATHER FREE SHIP
Adidas Alphabounce Instinct W [CG5590] Women Running Shoes White/Grey
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Adidas Ultraboost X White Pearl US 10 running shoesthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:WOMENS ADIDAS ORIGINALS NMD R1 STLT SZ 6 STEEL ASH PEARL RUNNING WHITE CQ2029Adidas Size 8 Purple Sneakers New Womens Shoes.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Adidas Originals Campus W [CQ2100] Women Casual Shoes Navy/White-Silver
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. BRAND NEW Running Shoes Women's (Size 6.5) Adidas Ultra Boost 3.0 "Trace Cargo"After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, ADIDAS ORIGINALS WOMENS NMD R1 STLT SZ 9.5 CORE BLACK NOBLE INDIGLO AC8326when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Adidas NMD XR1 Primeknit W Women Running Shoes NMD BOOST BB3685 100% AUTHENTIC
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, adidas ULTRABOOST X ALL Terrain LTD - Black - Womensadidas UltraBoost X All Terrain Mystery Ruby/White (BY1678) Women's Size 11specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.adidas Originals Women's ULTRABOOST X SHOES - BB0879Women’s Adidas UltraBoost Parley Stella McCartney Running Shoes Size 7
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. DB1979 Adidas Women Arkyn W white chalk white cloud white gumAdidas Women's RARE Stan Smith Mint Crocodile Print Pattern Casual Shoe SneakerThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,adidas falcon size 9.5 (w)NEW SZ:6 adidas W SAMBA Leather Ostrich Skin-Look Fits Like a SZ:7 LAST1 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Adidas Originals Tubular Defiant S75247 Black White Pick Your Size 4 to 10
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” NEW Womens Sz 7 ADIDAS Adizero XT Prime Boost B23491 Black Purple Sneaker Shoesand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, 1710 adidas NEO Lite Racer Women's Training Running Shoes BB9833dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
WOMENS ADIDAS SUPERNOVA SEQUENCE 9 LADIES RUNNING/SNEAKERS/RUNNERS SHOES
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Adidas Originals Women's NMD_CS2 Primeknit in Collegiate Navy/WhiteThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, NiB~Adidas CRAZYTRAIN ELITE BOOST Running Pure Ultra energy Shoe gym~Womens sz 7counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,ADIDAS ORIGINALS WOMENS JEZZY INSPIRED ARKYN SHOES D97090 BLACK/WHITE/RED tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.NEW ADIDAS ORIGINALS NMD R1 STLT PRIMEKNIT CASUAL WOMENS Shoes Linen White 5 -11Adidas A18u shoes woman low sneakers B28126 FALCON W
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Adidas Cloudfoam QT Racer W AW4007 black halfshoesadidas Adilette Womens Core Black/Footwear White/Core Black Festival Pack AQ1124
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given