Repost of an ADIDAS EQUIPMENT ADV RACING W bz0000 Turchese Eqt SCARPE SNEAKER donne from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Adidas Originals Women's Superstar Decon Sneakers Size 8.5 us BY8703
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Adidas Wmns Equipment Support ADV Brand NEW, Authentic Size 5 USAdidas deerupt Corredor W FUCSIA cq2910 ZAPATILLAS DEPORTIVAS MUJER
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Adidas NMD CS2 PK Primeknint Core Black Wonder Pink Women BY9312 US 5-9 Grey
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.adidas - I-5923 Runner W Grey Two / Chalk Pink / Core Black Sneaker CQ25281711 adidas NEO CF Advantage CL Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes AH2242 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Adidas B41727 Women Runner Deerupt Running shoes orange white SneakersDS 2015 ADIDAS MARY KATRANTZOU IRRIDESCENT ZX FLUX TECH WOMEN 8.5 SMITH STAN Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Adidas Stan Smith Bold Womens Style : S32266 White,White,GREEN Womens Size 10
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Adidas ZX Flux PK W S81900 pink-weißAdidas HardCourt Hi Defender GS White Black Berry Juniors Girls Boys TrainersAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Adidas Originals Pw Tennis Hu Basket Femme Rose
- Balenciaga black Triple S sneaker in size 37 shoes
- New Balance Women's WL999 - Capsule Meteorite Collection Fashion Sneakers
- Prada blue Suede, loafers shoes men Size US10
- MENS JOHNSTON & MURPHY SHEEPSKIN DRIVING MOCS LOAFERS SZ 9.5M Black J & M FLEX
- fashion mens closed toe cut out breathable sandals flats summer shoes gommino sz
- Sanuk Men's Chibalicious - Brown Hemp - 9
- Allen Edmonds Weekender Men Brown Slip On Driving Loafer Shoe Size 11 D
- Womens Sz 8 Gray Suede Booties Platform Boots By Guess, Buckle
- FRYE SAM Double Shaft Boots Black Leather Sz 7.5 M 77387
- Unworn 1970s Vintage Leather Sherpa-lined Winter Wedge Boot 5 - 5.5
- Kenneth Cole New York Davidson Black Womens Tall LEATHER Boots Size 8 1/2 EUC
- Vintage Women's LL Bean 8 M Medium Navy Low Gum Shoe Boots USA Old Logo Maine
- NIB $150 Converse First String CT 1970 Hi Black Multi Floral 148575C USMens 10.5
- ECCO Men's Ian Casual Tie Oxfordblack45 EU/11-11.5 M US
- PIRELLI MAN SNEAKER SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME SUEDE LEATHER CODE PRIME-04
- HAVAIANAS SLIM FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOPS FINGER WOMENS ORIGINAL 4000030 0090 BLACK
- Womens Shoes AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Brown 558342 Ballet Flats Sz 37.5 N EU
- Adidas cloudfoam white sz 13 mens tennis shoes athletic running
- Propet Travel Fit Strap Sneaker - Men's Size 11.5 EW, Black
- EL DORADO Brown leather cowboy boots LEATHER 9.5 D
- Winter Man Rock Pocket Dr Martens Vintage Army Military High-tops Boots Shoes
- CHUKKA Boots MADE BY ALTAMA LEATHER MEN SIZE 5 LADIES SIZE 6.5-7
- Vintage Hanover Mens Leather Ankle Boots Side Zip Brown 10 C Free Shipping!
- New Men's Casual Round Toe Motorcycle Zip Combats Shoes Fashion Punk Boots Size
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star OX Mens 1J794C Charcoal Canvas Shoes Size 5.5
- Bugatti Slipper Shoes Sneaker Shoes Black, Real Leather New
- Christian Louboutin Peach/Pink/Rose Lady Peep Toe Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Clarks Black Leather Peep Toe Orthopedic Comfort High Heel New Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Carolina Herrera Red Bow Leather Flats Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Behold Low Men's Size 9 and 11.5 New in Box NO Top Lid 898450 008
- Florsheim Men's Uptown Plain Toe Chukka Boot Cognac Leather Business Shoes
- Man's/Woman's：Adidas Womens Honey Stripes White Pastel Trim Trainers [D66039] ：Excellent Quality
- Nike Classic Cortez Nylon sz 11.5 807472 011 retro casual kung fu kenny damn
- ADIDAS EQUIPMENT RUNNING GUIDANCE PUSHA-T BLACK MARKET Sz 5.5-11 BLACK AQ7433
- nike huarache women Size 12
- Skechers BOBS Women's Bobs Phresh-Lil Flash. Boiled Wool Oxford W Memory...
- Chic Women's Winter Creepers Rabbit Fur Warm Platform Wedge Heels Casual Shoes
- S86 Nike Air Max 2 CB 94 Low 917752-002 Wolf Grey Bordeaux
- NEW Nike Zoom Rotational - Black Running, Cross Training (Men's 10.5)
- 18CM Womens Boots Patent Leather Ballerina Shoes SM Lock US Sz Wedge High Heel
- Chinese Laundry Kristin Cavallari Women's Georgie Slouch Boot
- Corral Women's Embroidered & Swarovsky Snip Toe Western Boots Bone C3178
- Womens Embroidery Fur Lining Leather Mules Flat Warm Slippers Casual Shoes A571
- Chic Women Genuine Leather Ankle Boots Punk Pearl Low Heel Oxfords Round Toe Cz8
- Nine West Women's Adelphine Leather Pointed Toe Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- EUC Free People Royale Flat Cut Out orange Asymmetrical Shoe Sz 8.5M
- Rockport Cobb Hill Women's Paulette Flat Bark 8.5 N US
- New Balance WMNS 574 NB women lifestyle casual sneakers NEW navy WL574-CC
- NIKE Womens Nike Downshifter 8 908994-003 LIGHT PUMICE Size 11
- Nike Womens Air Max 95 Neutral Olive Arctic Punch AQ6385-200 Size 7.5
- Alegria Women's Slip On Clogs Leather ALG-702 Size 37 EU or 6.5-7 US F10
- Walking Cradles Women's Caden Brown Roughout Leather Comfort Shoes
- Daniele Alessandrini Shoes Sneaker -40% Made Italy Man White F7170KL4593602-211
- Men's RealTree Habit All Weather Footwear Camo Color Size 10
- Fashion Mens Casual Dress Shoes Slip On Comfort Driving Moccasins Casual Loafers
- Skechers Work Gretna Gering US 10.5 M Black Leather Cap Toe Mens Shoes $90.00
- NIKE Flex 2017 RN New Black Running Shoes Men's Size 9 (US) RETAIL $85
- Aerosoles Womens Size 8 Commentary Brown Cap Toe Stacked Heel Zip Ankle Boots
- Women's American Eagle Brown Leather Hiking Outdoor Ankle Boots size 10
- Merrell Women's Ridgepass Hiking Shoes Granite/Eggshell Size 8.5
- New In Box Minnetonka Women's 5 Layer Fringe Moccasin Boot US Size 7 in Black
- VINTAGE BOHO CANADIAN LEATHER FAUX SHEARLING BOOTS
- Men/Women New Balance - Mens Shoes Diverse new design Trendy fine
- Tod's Men's Gommino Suede Driving Shoes Red 2381 Sz 6.5 UK
- Alden C.D.I. Mens Brown Leather Oxfords Shoes X Wide Size 11 E/EEE Goodyear Welt
- Skechers Performance Men's On The Go 400 Flip FlopBlack Synthetic Leather11 M US
Adidas Eqt Racing Adv Womens Style : By9798 Black Womens Size 5
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Scarpe Adidas Forum Low BA7276 sneakers ftwr white biancothe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Zapatos ADIDAS Mujer BIANCO/BLU Tela S75148Adidas Sneaker EQT SUPPORT RF W BY9107 Hellgrau.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Adidas NMD_R1 STLT PK W Women Primeknit Running Triple White Clear Orange B37655
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Adidas FOREST GROVE W B37990 Pink mod. B37990After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, ADIDAS ULTRABOOST 4.0 BB6309 ASH PEARL CHAMPAGNE PINK WHITE PEACHwhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
ADIDAS ORIGINALS ARKYN BOOST CASUAL WOMEN's DARK BLUE - GUM AUTHENTIC NEW IN BOX
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, New Adidas Supernova Glide 8 GFX AQ5058 Black Running Shoes Women NIB נעלי אדידסadidas Clima Cool 1 Womens Trainer Size 3.5 4.5 5 6 Shoe White Blackspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.CALZATURA DONNA SNEAKERS ADIDAS TESSUTO GRIGIO - 4EF21801 adidas Essential Fun 2.0 Women's Traning Running Shoes CP8951
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. adidas ORIGINALS NMD_R2 W TRAINERS WOMENS RUNNING SHOES SIZE 5 - 7.51711 adidas Neo Cloudfoam Racer TR Women's Training Running Shoes BC0055They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,ADIDAS CHAUSSURE SUPERESTRELLA - WHTBLK - 6 1/2 (4059812545779)DONNA ADIDAS STAN SMITH ADICOLOR - s80248 - Scarpe da ginnastica rosse tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Adidas Originals x Parley Women's Ultraboost 4.0 in Blue Spirit/Carbon BC0251
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Scarpe ADIDAS Donna BIANCO/ARGENTO Pelle naturale BB5114and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Mujer Adidas Zx Flux con - s42057 - Blanco y Negro Zapatillasdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Adidas NMD R1 White Pink BY9952 Women's Size 6.5 2017 Release Running
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Adidas B28166 Women Sambarose Casual shoes green sneakersThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Adidas CQ2913 Women Runner Deerupt Running shoes ivory white Sneakerscounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Adidas CG4682 Women Aero Bounce ST Running grey Sneakers tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Adidas Hamburg BY9673 black halfshoesadidas Wmns Stan Smith ( AQ0887 )
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Adidas Originals Women's I-5923 Boost Sneakers Size 5 to 10 us CQ2530Adidas Women's Nmd_Racer Primeknit Running Shoe
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given