Repost of an Adidas Stan Smith W BZ0407 white from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
adidas Originals Iniki Runner Women's Tactile Green/Black/White BY9096
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Adidas ZX Flux Smooth W S78963 red halfshoesAdidas ZX Flux Adv J S76252 violet halfshoes
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
adidas Originals Wmns NMD R1 STLT Primeknit Women New Lifestyle Sneakers B37655
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Women Adidas AC6921 Alphabounce Running shoes white grey sneakersadidas Wmns Stan Smith ( AQ0887 ) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Women AQ0542 Adidas Aero Bounce tw Running shoes black SneakersAdidas Tubular Invader 20 W S80554 navy blue Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
adidas Originals Swift Run Primeknit Women's Icey Blue/Icey Blue/White CG4137
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Adidas Originals Women's Superstar Boost Shoes Size 5 to 10 us BB2270NEW WOMEN'S ADIDAS ORIGINALS I-5923 INIKI BOOST SHOES [CQ2527] CHALK PINKAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Adidas Originals Women's Rita Ora ZX 500 2.0 Shoes Size 9 us M19080
- B.O.C. Women's Peggy Clogs Size 6.5 Med
- Finn Comfort Stanford 2552 Bronze Womens Mary Jane Clogs Sandals Leather
- NIKE Air Max Zero Essential Noir Noir 876070 006
- Gentlemen/Ladies DC Women's Trase SE Skateboarding Shoe Complete specification a wide range of products Modern mode
- Cole Haan Mens 10.5 M Oxfords Apron Toe Shoes Black Leather Upper (F28)
- 76937 BKGY Skechers Men's Work Millenium Strikes Athletic Steel Toe Black/Gray
- New NIKE TANJUN (812654-011) MENS FASHION SNEAKERS RUNNING SHOES
- J CREW Crop Horse GENUINE LEATHER TALL RIDING DRESS BOOTS WOMENS SHOES SIZE 7
- Steve Madden Black "Waltz" Wedge Platform boots Boots Sz 10
- CROCS SUPER MOLDED WEAVE CROCBAND WELLIE RAIN SNOW BOOT SHOE~Pink Berry~W 4~NWT
- Sugar Vale boot women's black over the knee tall boot size 8
- FRANCO SARTO 9 Black Vegan Leather PETITE Multi Buckle Tall Motorcycle Boots
- Mens British Vintage Carved Wing Tip Fringe Loafers Business Leather Shoes Y431
- S-1315983 New Bally Wabler Indigo Suede Driver Shoes Size US 12D Marked 11E
- THE FLORSHEIM SHOE WINGTIP LEATHER OXFORD US10 UNIQUE HANDMADE
- Columbia Wave Train Athletic Water Sandals Mud / Canyon Men's Shoes Size 12 NIB
- Men's/Women's Demonia Daisy-03 Ballet Flats - Gothic,Goth,Punk,Black,Buckle Outstanding features Used in durability Shopping promotion
- New Balance MW411BB2 Walking Shoes - Men's Size 8.5 4E - Black
- converse all star classic blue/white high size 7 men,canvas
- Tingley Men's Workbrutes PVC Boot
- JUSTIN 3163 Mens 12 EE Chestnut Marbled Deerlite Roper Cowboy Western Boots
- Kickers Kick Hi Adult Unisex Black Boots
- Men's Snow Boots, kingshow Waxed synthetic leather (13 M US Men's, Brown
- NEW Ariat Mens Leather Groundbreaker Pull-on Work Boots sizes AU 7.5 12 13
- Men’s Goretex Shoes HS Trask Oxford Dark Brown Leather Tie Loafers 8.5 Montana
- Men/Women Men's Empire Hi Wr Rust Boots Big clearance sale Skilled manufacturing Complete specifications
- Christian Louboutin Camel Decollete 100 Calf Jazz Pumps Size US 4 Regular (M, B)
- Charles David Black Parker Pumps Size US 6
- Aerosoles Red Platforms Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- [AO1133-001] NIKE AIR HUARACHE DRIFT WOLF GREY VOLT WHITE MEN SNEAKER SIZE 9.5
- Mezlan Men's 5890-1 Rogier Black Leather Slip-On Loafer
- Adidas Adizero HJ High Jump Track Spikes White Orange SZ ( BB4098 ) New!!
- NEW NIKE ALPHABALLER LOW Basketball MENS NIB LTD Black Grey Blue NR
- (CG6776) Women's Pharrell x adidas Solar Hu Glide ST WHITE *NEW*
- Nike Flyknit Trainer Chukka FSB Blk/Volt Women's SZ 5.5 NEW 624975-001 LUNAR HTM
- Karen Scott Womens Deliee Black Mid-Calf Boots Shoes 6 Medium (B,M) BHFO 6927
- Cactus Womens 6" LS60s DK Brown Slip-Resistant Boots Memory Foam Work restaurant
- Nike Air Jordan SPIZIKE BLK WHT INFRARED RED BLUE CEMENT Men sz 10 retro
- Adidas Originals Stan Smith BZ0412 Colorful Parrot Tropical Women’s Size 6.5
- Columbia Women's Terrebonne Hiking Shoe - Choose SZ/color
- ECCO Women's Gillian Tie Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- Women's Flats shoes Round toe Oxford Casual Pumps Comfort Breathable Loafers C9z
- Retro Womens loafers Creeper Shoes Preppy Ladies Faux Suede Platform Slip On New
- -Womens DONALD J PLINNER Blue Fabric Loafers Sz. 8.5 M
- Anne Klein Women's Able Fabric Ballet Flat Red/Black 8 M US
- Giacomorelli Velvet Studded Slip On Sneakers Size US 9
- NEW CLARKS WOMENS UN.LOOP - WOMENS SHOES - BLACK
- Man/Woman Aerosoles Womens Fashion Sneaker- Pick SZ/Color. fashion Price reduction Caramel, gentle
- Women's Black Puma Sky Wedge Spikestud Hidden Wedge Hightop Sneaker
- Nike Wmns Zoom Fly SP Dusty Peach/White Running Shoes Sneakers 2018 AJ8229-200
- Brand New Not Rated Womens More Fun Oxford Flats Lite Biege Shoes, 8 M
- Men's/Women's SPRING STEP SWEDEN Rich design Fast delivery Human border
- Converse by John Varvatos Oxford CTAS Vintage OX Ink/Turtle Dove/Beluga,Sz 11.5
- SKECHERS MARK NASON EMBOLDEN Gray SUEDE Leather Loafer WINGTIPS SHOES 68045 11
- Mens Patent Leather Metal Decor Slip Loafers Casual Shoes Platform Dress Formal
- Sanuk Donny Denim Brown Stripe Mens Size 13 *NEW*
- CROCS Santa Cruz 2 Luxe Loafer Shoes Canvas Black Gray Stitch Sz 7 Standard Fit
- Polo Sport Ralph Lauren 5.5 Leather Upper Man Made Sole Gruff Zip
- Ladies Shoes Synthetic Leather High Block Heels Zip Over Knee Boots US Size b164
- Very G Janice Women's Peep Toe Block Heel Ankle Booties
- TEVA De La Vina Dos Chelsea Quilted Bison Waterproof Leather Boots US 9 NEW!
- Zigi Girl Courtly Women's Black Leather Over the Knee Boots Size 7 M Shoes
- Allen Edmonds "Dryden" Cognac Leather Oxford Shoes size 9.5 3E TRIPLE WIDE EEE
- COLE HAAN ZEROGRAND WINGTIP OXFORD WITH STITCHLITE GREY SIZE 10 NEW (C26252)
- CAMPER sz 42 mens Suede Leather shoes
- G.T. HAWKINS mens sandals open shoe size 8 GT6100 8 JE-JF comfort blue black
1801 adidas X Women's Traning Running Shoes BY8929
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, adidas Performance AQ4878 Womens Gymbreaker Bounce Training Shoethe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:adidas Originals B41884 Womens PW HU Tennis Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.Adidas Pure Boost X Element Womens BB6085 Grey Knit Running Shoes Size 7.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
1801 adidas Originals Superstar MT Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CQ2611
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. ADIDAS Womens Adidas ZX FLUX W/ cheetah Print- Pick SZ/Color.After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, adidas Originals Women's NMD Windbreaker - Choose SZ/Colorwhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Women Adidas CQ2414 NMD R1 Running shoes khaki green white sneakers
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, ADIDAS Adidas Originals Gazelle - Women's BA9595 BLACK Womens SZ 7Adidas Tubular Shadow W Womens AC7925 OLICAR,OLICAR,White Womens Size 5specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Adidas Tubular Dusk Primeknit Womens AQ1198 Black Pink Athletic Shoes Size 7.5ADIDAS WOMEN'S BOOST NMD CS2 PK W PRIMEKNIT LINEN VAPOUR GREY WHITE CQ2039
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Adidas Mi Supernova Boost 7 Womens Running Trainers SneakersFW16 ADIDAS TUBULAR VIRAL W SPORT SHOES WOMAN GYM SHOES S75915They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,adidas EQT Racing Adv, Women’s Low-Top Sneakers 5.5 UKAdidas Tubular Dusk Primeknit Womens AQ1198 Black Pink Athletic Shoes Size 9.5 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Adidas Superstar Light Gold Glitter Womens Trainer ♡ Wedding ♡ Prom ♡ Any Size
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Adidas Cloudfoam Daily Qt Mid B74245 Black White Womens Size 9.5and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Adidas Originals NMD R2 Triple Black Shoes Womens Adidas Boost Sneakers NEWdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
|B37528| adidas Shoes – Eqt Support Sk Pk W black/white/green 2018 Women Mesh
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Women’s Adidas NMD R1 Roller Knit Cream Grey Tan Beige White Brown CG2999 Sz 9.5The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Adidas NMD_R1 PK W Women Primeknit Shock Pink Core Black Glitch Camo BB2363counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Adidas Womens NMD_XR1 PK Primeknit Boost shoes sneakers new BB2376 Granite tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.New Adidas Stella McCartney Ultra Boost Sneakers Size 10NiB~Adidas RESPONSE LIMITED SONIC DRIVE BOOST Running Shoe Supernova~Womens sz 9
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.New ADIDAS UltraBoost X - BB6162 - Running Shoes For Women s 11Adidas Women's Stella McCartney Barricade Boost Running Tennis Shoes ASMC AC8258
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given