Repost of an NEW MEN'S NIKE LUNAR FINGERTRAP TR 898066-001 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Air Jordan 12 Retro Flint Grey 2003 Size 16 136001-102 no og box
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.NIB MENS SIZE 12 NIKE AIR MAX ADVANTAGE 2 RUNNING SNEAKERS BLACK AA7396-002Nike Men's Downshifter 8 Running Shoe grey 908984 008 size 10
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
NIKE AF1 Ultra Flyknit Low Black/Blue Lagoon/Voltage Green Mens 11.5 Training
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Air Pegasus New Racer Squadron Blue Midnight Navy 705172 414 Msrp $90 DWNew Mens Nike HypervenomX Proximo II DF IC Soccer Shoes 852577-308 sz 11.5 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.NIKE AIR MAX SEQUENT 2 852461 001 BLACK/METALLIC HEMATITE-DARK GREY SIZE 11.5Nike Air Pegasus AT Men's Running Shoe Midnight Fog/Cobblestone 924469-001 Sz 10 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Zoom Air Vintage 2007 Basketball Shoes blue White Men's Size 17.5
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Nike Dunk CMFT PRM Wolf Grey/White Men's Basketball Shoes 705433-002New! NIKE Roshe 2 Two Flyknit 365 Black Red Men's Size 10Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.NIKE AIR MAX MOTION LW MENS RUNNING SHOE BLACK/WHITE SZ. 8 833260 010
- Dansko 38 (EU) 7.5/8 (US) Crushed Velvet Clogs Brown Closed Back Career Shoes
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Pearl Cross-Strap Black Full Grain Leather Mary Janes
- Men Hugo Boss Shoes Orland_Lowp_sdny1 Sneakers Blue Size 10
- Mens Propet Summit Walker M6026 Outdoor Hiking Trail Boots Size 8.5 M
- Alfani Crown Leather Oxfords Black Men's 9 M US - MSRP $99
- Giorgio Brutini Mens Candent 21094 Leather Wingtip Oxford Dress Shoe Gray 9.5 11
- men's shoes +2 MADE IN ITALY 8 () slip on blue leather BZ452-B
- New Women Breckelles Dorado-18 Suede Fringe Cap Toe Ankle Bootie Size
- Mi Bottes BARRATTS Daim Marron Clair T4 (37) TTBE
- Womens Ladies Fashion Suede Leather Rabbit Fur High Heel Ankle Boots Shoes Rainb
- VINTAGE LEATHER EUROPEAN PLATFORM BOOTS IVORY BULGERIA WOOL LINED 7.5 M TALL
- Zigi Soho Womens Black Leather Imrie Ankle Boots Shoe Size 6.5 M NEW!
- Santoni 9 D Mens Leather Shoes Loafers Burgundy
- Asics Onitsuka Tiger TIGER CORSAIR shoes Black X black Japan New F/S
- Allen Edmonds "EASTPORT" Boat Shoes 13 B Navy (684)
- Nike Kawa Adjust Mens 834818-101 White Black Logo Strap Slide Sandals Size 8
- Munro Napoli Loafers, Women's Size 5 M, Black
- Fashion Mens Canvas Shoes Size 10 Oxfords Casual High Top Shoes Leather Sneakers
- Men's Sneakers Mesh Lightweight Breathable Athletic Running Walking Gym Shoes
- Cole Haan Men's Size 11 Vibram Sole Leather Boots - Nice - Fast Shipping
- Zanzara Men's Callow Chelsea Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Demonia TRASHVILLE-502 Vegan Boots Black Vegan Leather Biker Knee High
- Men Snow Boot Hiking Plush Warm Climb Shoe Outdoor Mountain Military High Top 13
- Converse CTAS Modern Hi Antique Shoes Size Men 11 Women 12.5
- Genuine Stingray Carreta Black Cowboy Western Boots Size 28.5 USA 9.5
- MENS LEATHER WORK SAFETY SHOES TRAINERS TOE CAP DIKE GLIDER GARISH S3 SRC 24914
- Christian Louboutin Black Pigalle Follies 100 Grey Fusain Camouflage Classic Stiletto Heel Pumps Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Special Collection Platforms Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Silver Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike TRAINERENDOR L Black White Athletic Leather Discounted (594) Men's Shoes
- Sperry Top Sider Mens Decoy Sherling Boot Waterproof Brown STS14469
- Men's/Women's：PUMA Women's Enzo NF Wn Sneaker, - Choose SZ/Color：Economy
- NIKE MENS HYPHERSHIFT PE BASKET BALL SHOES (BOX NO LID )
- Adidas Originals Women's Superstar Decon Shoes Size 5 to 10 us BY8702
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 CL (GS) SAIL-BROWN-PINK SZ 6Y-WOMENS SZ 7.5 [312153-121]
- Man/Woman LE COQ SPORTIF Agate Bleu Selling Medium cost Complete specifications
- Womens Low Cuban Heels Round Toe Mid Calf Riding Boots Retro Zip Back Shoes E798
- Nike Air Zoom Spiridon '16 Metallic Grey Black Reflective Shoes 926955 003 Size
- Nike Free Trainer V7 Mens 898053-006 Dark Grey Blue Training Shoes Size 6.5
- Mr/Ms Cobb Hill Women's Cdk12pt selling price the most economical Don't worry when shopping
- Pleaser ELECTRA-2020/W/PU Womens Electra-2020/W/PU Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- Man/Woman Durango Women's Jealous 13-Inch Boot Outstanding features High-quality materials Diversified new design
- Plus Size 34-44 Women Fashion 2017 Summer Hollow Out Flats Shoes Slip-on Comfort
- Crocs - Womens Walu Minnie Slip-on, Size: 6 B(M) US Womens, Color: Khaki/Stucco
- Soludos Women's Tassel Slip ON Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- JCrew $148 Mary Janes Flats in Glitter Sz 6.5 Pale Gold F4977 Sparkle (Flaw) AVL
- AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Black Suede Cap Toe Ballerina Flats Size US 8
- Aerosoles TRACK RECORD Womens Track Record Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Lacoste Women's Rey Sport 318 1 Sneaker
- Sam Edelman Women's Yaro Ankle Strap Sandal Navy Multi Fabric
- Merrell Plaza Bandeau Mary Jane Shoes 8.5 Brown Suede Strap
- J. Renee Women's Landan Open Toe Slingback Black Patent/Synthetic Comfort Shoes
- Authentic Loriblu Leather Italian Designer Shoes New Sizes 7,8,10,11
- Vetements 17Awinsta Pump Fury Sneakers 26.5Cmblkwht Box Yes Shoes (88487
- Johnston & Murphy 25-1073 Colvard Moc Stitched Waterproof Loafer Men's Sz 10M
- HOT Mens Floral Low Top Sneakers Casual Slip On Loafers Tennis Fabric Rivet New
- Rockport Eureka Plus Boot-Men's Size 14W Dark Brown
- Gomax Grayson Tan Short Ankle Boots Women’s Size 10 M*
- Shoemint Viola High Heel Ankle Bootie in Cognac (Size 6.5, NIB)
- Women's Charles David 'Easton' Shoes Black Half Suede Wedge Boots Size 9 M NEW!
- Thalia Sodi Womens Palomaa Closed Toe Ankle Fashion ELDERBERRY Size 11.0
- Ralph Lauren Maleah Polo Tan Brown Bootie Ankle Boots Burnished Calf 11 New Box
- CLARKS ORIGINALS WALLABEE LOW DARK TAN MENS SIZE CASUAL SHOES BOOTS 18578
- Hugo Boss Men's Lighter_Lowp_nych Fashion Sneaker Shoes 50327368 060 Open Grey
- GIVENCHY Tyson High Top Shoes Black Sneakers Mens 44 US 11
- Mr/Ms keen mens 9 Durable service Medium cost buy online
Nike Air Force 1 Low NBA Force Logo Back Black White 823511-011 Men's Size 8.5
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike MagistaX Proximo Tf Turf Street Shoes 718361-010 Soccer Boot Blackthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike Air Jordan Trainer St Athletic Shoes 820253-603 (SZ 13) NEWNike LunarEpic Low Flyknit 2 ( Blue ) Mens Us Size 12 (no box cover ).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
555305-003 Nike Men Air Berwuda Black Off White Anthracite
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike SB Zoom Blazer Low Yellow Ochre Black Gold Wheat Flax 864347 701 Size 13After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Free RN 2017 Solstice Run Black White Men Running Shoes Sneakers 883294-001when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
NIKE New Men's Air Precision Basketball Shoe Size 10.5 Color White Black & Sliv
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike LeBron Soldier XI 11 ELEVEN White/Black ZOOM US Men's Size 9.5, Euro 43MEN'S NIKE AIR FLIGHT '89 A 315793-142 WHITE/UNIVERSITY BLK WAS$92.00 NEW IN BOXspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.317295-011 Nike Men Air Force 1 07 Low Black /white / Pine Green size 10.5Nike Air Max 90 Sneaker Boot 316339-002 Black/Silver Men’s Sz 13
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Hyperdunk 2011 TB Basketball Shoes -Reg $125- StyleSz 14 -NEWNew Nike SB Zoom Dunk Low Pro QS Soulland Mens Sizes Black White 918288 041They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike Classic Cortez Nylon Size 8.5 Black White 807472-011 Men's Shoes NEWMEN'S BASKETBALL SHOE NIKE ZOOM HYPERREV 2015 STYLE 705370-001 9.5M tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
New Nike Mens Tiempo VI Legion Green Sizes 9 - 852615-300 Casual Shoe
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” RARE Nike Air Jordan VIII 8 Retro White Stealth Orange Blaze Sz 10 305381-102and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nike Air Huarche Run Ultra 819685 012 Black/Red Size 10dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
New Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 TB Men's Running Shoes Size 12.5 - 887009-002
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Air Max Lunar 1 WR Deep Burgundy Men's Running Shoes 654470-600 Size 8.5The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Kyrie 3 Irving University Red Suede White 852395 601 Msrp $120 DNcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,NIKE AIR JORDAN 10 X RETRO POWDER BLUE 310805-106 size 10.5 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike Hyperfuse Shoe Size 10.5 M Men's Blue Basketball Athletic Sneaker NIB$200 Nike FC Zoom Mercurial XI Flyknit Casual Shoes Street Sneakers Black 852616
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given