Repost of an NEW Nike AIR FORCE MAX SZ 9.5 AH5534-200 'Charles Barkley' SEPIA STONE from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Air Trainer SC High Bo Jackson Black Sneakers Men's Size 10
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Air Trainer 1 “Cruz 2 Victory” Sz 14Brand New Nike FREE HYPERVENOM 2 FC SNEAKER Size 9
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Air Force 1 AF1 Low FRESH MINT GREEN SUMMIT WHITE 823511-301 sz 9.5
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Air one Size 11/12 TurquoiseAuthentic Nike KD 7 VII Egg Nog Christmas Size 10.5 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike Air Jordan Men's Son of Mars Shoes White Red Black 512245 112 SZ 9Nike Men Match Classic LX 875794-001 Grey White Orange Sole Size 13 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
MENS Nike Mercurial Victory V CR RONALDO TF Black White Total Crimson 684878 018
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI CANVAS OBSIDIAN / SUMMIT WHITE *NEW*Nike Air Max Vision PRM Men's Running Shoes, 918229 600 Size 11 NWBAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.NIKE New Air Force 1 BLACK size 12
- RIEKER DORIS 85 BRONZE 41385 SLIP-ON ANTI-STRESS LOAFER WOMEN'S 40 / 9 - 9.5
- Alegria Women's Kayla Clog Black Nappa 38 EU/8-8.5 M US
- NIB ECCO BIOM GRIP MENS SHOES CREEK SLIP-ON~7-7.5~GREY~AWESOME SHOE'S
- Church'S Fairfield Last81 Wing Chip Suede Shoes 026,403 Copper (40118
- Mens PU Ostrich Leather Buckle Slip On Snake Smart Formal Italian Design Shoes
- SKECHERS Men's 64260/BLK SEGMENT RILAR Black Size 11
- Dr MARTENS Casual Work Ankle Boots Size 8 US/7UK Men Made in ENGLAND
- Calvin Klein Aubrey Color Block Suede Ankle Zip Boot Purple Orange Brown 6
- Born black leather tall boots sz 7 riding low heel buckles zipper
- Womens Size 7STUART WEITZMAN Littleneck Black Suede Bootie Shoes
- Demonia Huge 3" Vegan Lavender Bat Wing Creepers Punk Goth Mod Womens 6-11
- Hush Puppies Women's Mazin Cayto HW05977-025 in Grey Nubuck Sz 6.5-10 NEW
- Converse Crimson Core Canvas Ox Men | Casual Shoes
- Magnanni Blanco Perforated Sneakers Cognac Brown Leather Men's Sz 11.5
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star 1970s Heritage Court Green Men Women 160520C
- Nike Benassi JDI White/Black Men's Slides Sandals - Size 9/11/12/13 NWB
- Anne Klein AK Sport Women's Able Flat - Ivory - 7.5 [EH-A]
- Vans Grey Men Size 7 Womens 8.5 Canvas Low Top Shoes
- Asics gel Nimbus 17 T507N men Athletic Running walking Shoes Size 14
- British Style Casual Mens Pull On Riding Shoes Chelsea Work Retro Ankle Boots
- Men's Casual High Top Sneakers Athletic Running Shoes Hip-hop Printed shoes
- COLUMBIA NEW Men's Redmond Mid Leather Omni-Tech Boot, Sz 11.5,MSRP$129
- Military Boots 11 R type I hot weather black spike protective sole NWT NEW
- Mens Wolverine Work Boots Brown Size 9.5
- Rockport Men's Pre Owned Streetsailing 3 Eyelet Boat Shoes Brown M76926 Size 7 M
- CONVERSE Sneaker All Star SLIP III OX AS SLP 3 OX 1C239 White / 11.5 New
- Valentino Nude Rockstud May Jane Strap Ballerina Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Follies Strass 100 Velvet Mesh Pigalle Classic Stiletto Heel Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Gena 85 Stretch Suede Mid Calf Ankle Classic Heel Boots/Booties Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- NEW Nike Zoom Javelin Elite 2 Men's Size 15 Shoes & Spikes with Tool 631055-100
- RED WING SHOES Mens Black Suede Leather Casual Oxfords Sz 11 D NEW! 217097
- Men's/Women's: air jordan 10 shoes: Comfortable feel
- Nike Lunar TR1 AMP Richard Sherman Seattle Seahawks Sz. 11
- ADIDAS ZX FLUX B25483 women's running training Shoes floral roses 100% AUTHENTIC
- Nike Wmns Air Max Kantara Particle Rose Women Running Shoes Sneakers 908992-601
- RYKA Womens Hydrosphere Cross Trainer- Hot Pink Size 7
- Women Autumn Ankle Boots Platform Lacquered Skin Leather Solid Platform 5.5-9US
- 718895 007 Grey And Green Nike Sz 10
- NEW NIKE FORCE SAVAGE ELITE TD = SIZE 10.5 = MEN'S FOOTBALL CLEATS 857063-011
- NEON HOT PINK 7" PF w/FRINGE or BLACK VEGAN LEATHER BOOT 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
- Mephisto Slacker Gore-Tek Genuine Leather Women’s Size 8 Hiking Boots Vtg
- NEW YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL BRONZE LEATHER SIDE ELASTIC PLATFORM ANKLE BOOT 6.5
- Bass Weejuns Jaclyn Loafer Black Leather Tassel Kiltie Shoe Womens SIZE 6.5 M
- Man/Woman FRYE Womens Kiki Stitch Ballet Consumer first Let our goods go to the world Direct business
- SAS Tripad Comfort Roamer - San Antonio Shoe Loafers USA Chestnut Women's 7.5 W
- Tory Burch Womens Beige Straw Flats 6 M
- Cole Haan Tali Bow Ballet Flats - Women's Size 9B, Maple Sugar Leather
- WOMENS NEW BALANCE WL574CHF LIGHT PORCELAIN BLUE/WHITE
- ADIDAS INIKI RUNNER Women's Originals LAST SIZES Boost BY9094 DS FREE SHIPPING !
- Caterpillar Women's Ellie Work Boot Dark Beige Full Grain Leather Work Boots
- Delighted WOMEN'S SHOES Size 7 Open Toe Black Orthopedic Casual Wedge New in Box
- Dolce Vita Women's Camia Mule Black Leather Mules
- Emporio Armani Shoes Sneaker Sz. 43 Leather Man Blue X4X223XL201-D879 MAKE OFFER
- Alden Chukka Boot 26Cmblk Horse Leather Shoes (22086
- Dexter Mens Size 8.5 M Brown Slip On Loafer Leather Casual Shoes
- SANUK MEN'S BLACK CANVAS SIDEWALK SURFER SLIP ON SHOES SIZE 9 NEW WITHOUT TAGS
- Puma SKY II LOW B&W Puma White Men's Shoes 8.5
- Plomo Georgina Flat Sandal Off white New 37 7 M ankle Buckle
- Marc Fisher Womens FELISSA 3 Black Over Knee Fashion Boots Size 7 M NIB
- Trotters Women 9.5 Stormy Bordeaux Waterproof Ankle Heeled Boots Gray Maroon
- Nine West Womens Kelela Suede Boot- Pick SZ/Color.
- Man/Woman CLARKS PLAZA MEDIA WOMEN'S BOOTS New market Known for its good quality Authentic guarantee
- DS NIKE 2004 AIR FORCE 1 UN-HTM BAROQUE BROWN 8.5 SUPREME HYPERFUSE GOLD MAX 90
- Cole Haan Lunargrand Milkshake Wintip Fragment Visvim Supreme Monk Strap 8 9
- FRYE Greyson Chelsea Mens Size 8 Black Leather Pull On Boots FB-219
- NEW-ADIDAS MEN'S ADILETTE SLIDE SANDALS,WHT/BLK OR BLK/WHT, ASST. SIZES, $39.99
New Men 7.5 11.5 NIKE Zoom D Chalk Blue Orange White Track Distance Spikes Shoes
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Air ZOOM ROOKIE PENNY BLACK ANTHRACITE GREY 472688-010 size 9.5the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike KD Trey 5 IV / 856484-551 / Kevin Durant SZ 12 / BRAND NEW/ RARENIKE SUPER FLY 2 SUPERNOVA BASKETBALL SHOES 599945 008 MEN SIZE 11 US.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Men's Nike Air Penny II Shoes (333886-100) White/Varsity Royal/Black 7.5,8.5,13
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Air Force 1 High Neon Green Black Sneakers Mens Sz 9 Rare UniqueAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Air Jordan 5 AM Men's Basketball Shoes, 807546 603 Size 10 NEWwhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nike Air Jordan Retro 1 Low Size 15 Black and Red Basketball Shoes
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, NEW Nike Men's Zoom Hyperrev 2016 Royal Blue White Basketball Shoes Size 10.5Men's Nike Air Zoom Sertig 16' Hiking Boots Size 8 Black/Cool Grey 904335-001specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.NEW - NIKE 820321-600 HYPERDUNK ‘08 Basketball Solar Red Size 8 - $150 NEWNike Mercurial Veloce AG Artificial Grass Soccer Cleats new shoes 555069 708
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike DUNK HIGH PRO SB Teal University Gold White Discounted (295) Men's ShoesNIKE Zoom D Crimson Orange Black White Track Distance Spikes Shoes New Mens 8.5They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike Swoosh Hunter HNTR Black 832820-001 Size 9.5Nike Men Basketball Shoes 9 Elite Hero KD Turbo Green/Pink 642838-300 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
nike air max 1 KICKASSO kickasso freestyle VNDS foamposite flight jordan 3 11
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Dunk Flyknit College Navy Wolf Grey Pure Platinum 917746-400 Size 11and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, NWT MEN NIKE ZOOM TRAIN COMPLETE RUNNING SNEAKERS TRAINING SHOES SIZE 10-13dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike NEW Mens Metcon Repper DSX Training & Gym Shoes 898048-400 sz 11 0
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. $125 NIB Men's Nike AIR JORDAN ULTRA FLY 2 TB SHOES 921211-606The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Kobe X 10 Bright Crimson Size 8counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike Air Unlimited Flax Wheat Outdoor Green David Robinson Sz 10.5 889013-200 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike Flyknit Max Men’s Size 9.5 Bright Crimson/Black-Photo Blue 620469-600Nike Lebron XII 12 EXT 'Finish Your Breakfast' Multi-Color Red White 748861-900
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike Flystepper 2K3 PRM Premium "Yeezy" Black 644576 008Nike Comfort Air Max 442090-401 Men's Size 9.5 Blue
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given