Repost of an Men's Nike Air Max Hyperaggressor TB New Basketball Shoe - 524867-601 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Men’s Nike Air Force 180 Premium Sz 11 2006 Barkley Pearl Grey Rave Pink
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Lunar Fingertrap TR Black/White Size US 11.5 Men's 898066 001Nike MVP Free Trainer Elite JAPAN SAMPLE Shoes Grey Blue SZ 10 ( 599368-230 )
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Field General 2 Black University Red Bright Crimson football 749310-066
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Air Penny 1/2 Cents Cranberry Red BLack Sz11 Foamposite1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10Nike Air Max Force STAT Black Basketball Shoes Size 13 Style 315005-001 EUC History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike Kevin Durant VIII Men's NSW Lifestyle ShoesNike Air Max "Go Strong" Men's Shoes Size 9.5 Retro Black Sneakers Kicks Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Air Flight 89 University Red Size 10.5
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. 844591 700 "NEW" NIKE LUNARS SHOES833411-001 Nike Men Kaishi 2.0 Wolf Grey Black WhiteAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike SB Dunk Low Grey Perfect Pink Silver White Yeezy Supreme Sz 10 895969-160
- Women’s Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit Size-9.5 “Glacier Blue” Platinum (849557 014)
- Fabulicious Women's Chic 26 Black Velvet/Satin/Black Matte Party Shoes
- Armani Jeans Trainers AM506/13 Shoes Men Size 11.5 gray black white yellow
- Gentleman/Lady BLACK SHOES MEN'S SIZE 13 Many varieties New design unique
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Camo House Blend Casual Shoes Sneakers Men's Size 8.5
- Propet Landon Sneaker - Men's Size 10H (3E) - Brown
- Men's Cole Haan Black Leather Penny Loafers US 8.5 M
- Amanda Smith Beige Brown Jeans Print Stretch Fabric Bardo Heels Boots 6.5M BN1
- VANS Womens Reily Beige Suede Leather Faux Fur Trim Boots Sz US 10
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Miles Ankle Boots 259, Black, 10 US / 40 EU
- Hot Women England Round Toe Winter Fashion Flats Lacu Up High Top Ankle Boots
- Merrell Chameleon Wrap XCR Vibram Gore-Tex Olive USA 10 Hiking shoe
- Skechers 65406 USA Mens Relaxed Fit-Elent-Velago Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- ECCO Men's Soft 8 High Top Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- New Tansmith Luxury Mens Brown Leather Boat Shoes Size13 MSRP $140
- Men's/Women's Adidas Alphabounce Men's Slide Sandal B41720, High quality and low overhead Elegant style Human border
- Rockport Emalyn Slip On Shoe - Women's Size 6M - Blue
- Men's Sport Shoes Athletic Sneakers Training Running Tennis Breathable Outdoor
- Nike KD 7 Bad Apples Black Action Red Medium Mint Sz 12(653996-063) GDFAS‼️✔️♨️
- KEESKY Men's Winter Snow Boots Waterproof - Insulated Outdoor Shoes Yellow Si...
- Ladies Remonte D0579 Black Synthetic Double Zip All Weather Ankle Boots
- Justin 3133 Western Leather Cowboy Boots Mens US 9 E Made In USA Black Roper
- Perry Ellis Mens Ankle Boots Range Sand Suede
- Clarks Men's Originals Desert Boots US 13 M Stone Nubuck Leather Shoes $130
- Madden Men's M-Ingle Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- Massimo Dutti Men Size US 8 Sneaker Tan 2109/222/001
- Hermès Blue Liberty Flats Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Hugo Boss Black Sandals Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- DKNY White Canvas Grommet Zip Token Wedges Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Huarache Drift Run Shoes Volt Black White AH7334-700 Mens Sz 12 CP45
- NEW! Quoddy Canoe Mocs 9D Shoes BLUE Suede Moccasins Maine USA NWOB Arch Support
- Men's/Women's：PUMA Women's Suede Heart Reset WN's Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color：High Quality and Affordable
- nike zoom stefan janoski cnvs
- Adidas M17495 Volley Light Womens Volleyball Shoe 7 -White-Silver
- Nike Women's Air Max 90 Essential Running White/Crimson 616730-113 Sz 8
- Women's Saucony Freedom Runner Wool, Charcoal, 6.5 B
- Hush Puppies Rustique 14 Inch Tall Boots Womens Black Leather H506875 WH Stairs
- NEW Nike AIR MAX ZERO SE 918232-100 White Armory Blue Running Shoe Men Size 8.5
- Nike Dunk CMFT Premium University Red/White 705433-600 Men's SZ 10
- NEW Nine West Chorus Womens Black Heeled Over Knee Boots US Size 9.5 M Shoes 674
- Jessica Simpson Women's Cherrell Ankle Bootie Black 6.5 M US
- 1803 Black Leather Loafer Shoes Size US 9.5/10 Size 41 Medium Pre-Owned
- Tommy Hilfiger Womens Frank8 Suede Closed Toe Mules
- PRADA Womens Beige Real Leather Moccasins Slip On Shoes Penny Loafers Size 6.5
- RON WHITE Rita Platform Penny Loafer patent leather size 41
- NEW Aerosoles LOAFER MULES Ladies Shoes SIZE 11 DARK TAN SUEDE
- Klogs Austin Womens - Clogs Flower Tool - 10 Wide
- adidas ultra boost women 8.5 Black BRAND NEW W BOX
- Nike Air Max Jewell Lea Womens AH6790-100 Summit White Running Shoes Size 9.5
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 PRM DOERNBECHER FREESTYLE OREGON WOMENS SIZE 9.5 838767 100
- LLBean Women's Faux Fur Slip On Clogs Career Dress Shoes Size 9 Medium Black
- Trotters Women's Leana Dark Taupe Burnished Soft Kid/Dark Brown Patent Loafers
- ROBERTO SERPENTINI 1003a Brown Leather Driver Moccasins Loafers 42 / US 9
- Man/Woman Zig Zag Printed Slip-On Shoe Special price Wholesale trade Modern mode
- Hunters Bay Mens Black Leather Loafers 8
- Gently Used! Mens (Size 8.5M) COLE HAAN G Series Brown Leather Loafers! FREE S/H
- Puma Basket Rainbow Reflective 36178801 Casual Men Black Shoes Medium (D,M) Men
- Women's Round Toe Zipper Low Flat Heel Knee High Boots Shoes All Size 5 -10 NEW
- WOMENS JUSTIN L3703 BLACK LEATHER ROPER COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS SZ 6.5~1/2 B
- SEVEN DIALS 'Teresa' Women's Bootie, Black - 7 M
- Vintage Hyer Women’s Western Boots Women’s Size 7 Red and Black Leather Cowboys
- Call It Spring Womens Legivia Closed Toe Over Knee, Black Nubuck, Size 6.0
- Born Mens Leather Albert Taupe Marmotto Suede Shoes Size 13 M NIB
- New Men's Slip On Loafers Breathable Casual Moccasins Driving Real Leather Shoes
- DR. MARTENS steel toe industrial safety shoe slip resistant heavy work boot 11M
- Mens Summer Black Open Toe Roman Style Slippers Sandals Shoes Casual Walking
NIKE LEBRON JAMES 10 X HOME HEAT BASKETBALL SHOES MENS SIZE 9.5 NICE WITH BOX
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, NIKE FREE TRAINER 3.0 MENS RUNNING SHOES 630856-300 SZ 8.5the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:2008 Nike Air Max 90 Sz 10 White/Mean Green-Anthracite 325018-131Nike SB Janoski Max Concepts Mosaic Holy Grail Stained Glass Sz 10 749678-614.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
US sz 10.0 Nike Air Force 1 Low INSIDEOUT ALBIS PACK 2005 Size 10.0
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Sb Kenny Powers Safari Purple Mens Size 11.5 Beasly Bison Dunk Cheetah LowAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Men's Bruin Low Athletic Shoes 537332 Black 13when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nike Air Huarache Drift PRM Super Color Combo Size 10.5
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, NEW Mens NIKE Vapor Speed Low TD 643152 610 Game Red Football Cleats Shoes684855 605 NEW Jordan CP3.VIII Basketballspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.NIKE ROSHE ONE SZ 9 TRIPLE WHITE 511881 112MEN'S NIKE DUEL RACER RUNNING SHOES KHAKI MEDIUM OLIVE 918228 201 SIZE 10.5
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Men's Shoes "Nike''--(SB Blazer Low CNVS Decon)--Black/Black- AnthraciteNike Men's Flex Fury, SIZE 9 - 14 COLORS STRATUS BLUE/BLACK-LIGHT PHOTO BLUE-SRThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike Lunar Magista II FK Flyknit College Navy Blue 852614 401 SZ 8.5 9.5 10 10.5New Nike Men's Lunar 180 Trainer SC 630922-001 Black/White/Anthracite/Volt 10.5 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nike Air Trainer 180 Men's Training Shoes, Size 11.5 New 916460-002
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike SB Blazer Mid XT Dark Team Red White Sz 10.5 876872-619and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nike Zoom Victory 3 Track Running Shoes Black/White 835997-017 Mens Size 10.5dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike Air Huarache Run Mid Black Trainers Hot Punch 807313-003 6-9
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro '97 Basketball Shoes 555071-045 Pewter/Yellow Men's SZ 8The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, [525059-076] NIKE MENS NIKE LUNAR SAFARI FUSE + MENS SHOES WOLF GREY/BLACK-OLD Rcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike SB Blazer Vapor TXT tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike SB Dunk Boots Mens 6 (Womens 7.5) High Black OMS Hiking Trail C8 W1Nike Air Jordan Retro 7 VII TD Football Cleats Size 10 Black White 719543-010
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike™ ~ AIR JORDAN HORIZON LOW GYM Basketball Shoes ~ 845098-001 ~ Men Sz 10.5nike Duel Racer BLACK SEQUIOA US MENS SIZES 918228-012
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given