Repost of an *RARE* NIKE Sportswear FREE OG '14 WOVEN Men 12 chukka NSW qs inneva trainer run from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Zoom Force Savage Elite TD White Black Wolf Grey Shoes Size 8
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Men MD Runner 2 Mid Premium Sneakerboots 844864 004 SIZE 11 WOW Free ShipNike Retaliation TR Men’s Training Shoes [917707 660] Gym Red/Black Size 9.5
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
AUTHENTIC ADIDAS SAMBA MC D68794
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.JORDAN TRAINER 2 FLYKNIT TRIPLE BLACK SHOES MENS 11 NEW 921210-013 NIKE WOWNike Men's Air Vrtx '17 Running Shoe History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike Magista Orden FG men soccer cleats hyper grape SZ 8.5 -Nike 651329-505NIKE Force Savage Elite TD Promo Football Cleats Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Air Flight Falcon Red White Black Grey Shoes 397204-023 Sz 11
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Nike SB Satire ll Print ShoesNike Mens Vapor Speed Mid TD Football Cleat Black/WhiteAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike Mens Air Max Torch II White/Red/Silver/Black Size 10 Shoes (NO00044)
- Balenciaga black Triple S sneaker in size 37 shoes
- New Balance Women's WL999 - Capsule Meteorite Collection Fashion Sneakers
- Prada blue Suede, loafers shoes men Size US10
- MENS JOHNSTON & MURPHY SHEEPSKIN DRIVING MOCS LOAFERS SZ 9.5M Black J & M FLEX
- fashion mens closed toe cut out breathable sandals flats summer shoes gommino sz
- Sanuk Men's Chibalicious - Brown Hemp - 9
- Allen Edmonds Weekender Men Brown Slip On Driving Loafer Shoe Size 11 D
- Womens Sz 8 Gray Suede Booties Platform Boots By Guess, Buckle
- FRYE SAM Double Shaft Boots Black Leather Sz 7.5 M 77387
- Unworn 1970s Vintage Leather Sherpa-lined Winter Wedge Boot 5 - 5.5
- Kenneth Cole New York Davidson Black Womens Tall LEATHER Boots Size 8 1/2 EUC
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Macomb Ankle Boots Chateau Gray 6.5 M -NIB
- Skechers USA Mens Larson Berto Slip-On Loafer, Black Leather, 6.5 M US
- 100% Authentic Italian Made SANTONI Brown and Blue Shoes Brand New In Box
- Hugo Boss Men's Dandy Suede Driving Loafers Shoes
- New Teva Men's 1091589 Blue Hurricane XLT2 Sandals Size 10
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Women's Boomer Me Espadrille
- Route 21 'Cross Walk' Men's Urban Casual Loafers Synth. Suede Twin Gusset Shoes
- adidas Men Tubular Invader Strap BB5036 Dark Blue White DS Size 10.5 11.5 13
- New Mens Riding Military Long Boots Leather Zip Knee High Punk Motor Roma Shoes
- Men's Dr. Martens Delray Overdyed Twill Canvas Black 16512001
- Wolverine MultiShox Contour Welt Work / Motorcycle Brown Leather Boot Size 9.5
- Laredo Men's Paris Collection Cowboy Western R Toe Leather Boots 4242 Sz 9.5 EW
- Man's/Woman's Dickies Trader - Tan - Mens Diverse new design Clearance Famous store
- SWEAR London Vinnie 4 Black Leather Suede Yellow sole EU44
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star High (Andy Warhol)
- Christian Louboutin Orniron Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Chloé Black Susannah Studded Leather Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Platforms Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Jordan Eclipse Chukka Light Bone Golden Beige Black 881453-015 Size 10
- Mr/Ms Georgia Boot Small Batch Wedge Boot Practical and economical New in stock General product
- Man's/Woman's：PUMA Women's Carson 2 Terrain Wn Sneaker, - Choose SZ/Color：old things in the south of the city
- New beautiful Nike shoes,size 9 women or 8.5.
- Adidas Super Star (GS) White Black Gold Women/Boys/Girls Trainers All Sizes
- Nike Women's Air Max Sequent 2 Running Shoes (7 B(M) US, Aurora Green/Black
- adidas Energy Cloud WTC W Black Green Women Running Shoes Sneakers BA7529
- Marco Tozzi Platform Elasticated Boot Womens Navy Textile Chelsea Boots
- Nike MEN'S Air Max Emergent Deep Royal Blue/University Red SIZE 10.5 BRAND NEW
- NIKE AIR PENNY IV 4 HARDAWAY [864018 001] 1 CENT NO FOAMPOSITE UPTEMPO MAX SZ 7
- STEVE MADDEN LAMBII BLK NUBUCK ANKLE BOOT SIZE 8
- DEMONIA Sexy Gothic 5 1/2" Skeleton Finger Bone Heel Calf High Boots MUERTO-1026
- New Reef Women's Stargazer Thong Rubber Soft Gold
- Jessica Simpson Women's Size 8.5 Mandayss Natural Leather Ballet Flats ZU-567
- Ladies Clarks Flats Label - Busby Folly
- NIB Vince Canyon Womens Suede Slip On Sneakers Loafers Sz 9.5 M Indigo Bone $250
- Brooks brothers gray flats size 8 M
- Vintage 1989 Kenneth Cole Women's Shoes Ballet Flats Great Condition Embroidered
- Mizuno Women's Wave Inspire 12 Running Shoe, Royal Purple/Silver 6.5
- OluKai Women's Paniolo Slide Vintage Indigo/Vintage Indigo Slides
- Nike Women’s Zoom Modairna Vanchetta Tan Sail White NikeLab Lab 880884-200 Sz 11
- 02-2874 Alegria By Pg Lite Women's Paloma Mary Jane SIZE 36/5.5-6
- Man's/Woman's Oasis Women's Suzie White Comfort Shoes Fine processing Settlement Price Known for its excellent quality
- Merrell Mens World Vue Moc Black Slip-On - 8
- LL Bean Boat Shoes Deck Loafers Mens Size 10 M Tan Leather
- CLARKS XTR Lite Tan Nubuck Leather Loafers Slip On Shoes Men's 9
- New Skechers Relaxed Fit Comfort Rommier Brown Casual Shoes Mens 10 Memory Foam
- Cole Haan Men's 11.5 E Leather Slip On Loafers Fringe Kiltie Strap Buckle Wide
- Diana Ferrari Black Leather Fashion Ankle Boots Size 8.5 M US Excellent Brazil
- L’idea Women’s Ankle Boots By Lori Black Leather Size 36.5 US 6 Glitter Stars
- Nine West Millicento Brown Leather Fashion Dress Casual Knee Boot Heels Size 8
- Franco Sarto Women's Ivanea Slouch Boot Black 7.5 M US
- Dr Martens Women's Pascal Pebble Metalic Split Black Silver 8 Eye Combat Boots
- Lacoste Men's Meyssac Deck 116 1 Beige Fashion Sneakers Hihg Top Casual Shoes
- Men's Clarks Unnature Time Black Tumbled Leather Shoes 261 27942
- Man's/Woman's Armani jeans shoes men Every item described is available Online Elegant and solemn
- Skechers Relaxed Fit Pelem Emiro Chocolate Mens Flip Flops Sandals 65093
Men's Nike air flight 89, size 10, White, blue and grey
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, NIKE Men's Mercurial Victory VI CR7 (FG) Firm Ground Soccer Cleatthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike Air Max 90 Black/Wolf GreyNew Nike Cortez Leather Black/White 819719-012 Shoes Men.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike Zoom Victory 3 Spikes Running Shoes Hyper Orange 835997-804 Sz 10, 12
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. nike rosherun NM mens trainers 631749 701 sneakers shoes CLEARANCEAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Air Max Flair 942236-009 Grey Pumice Green Men's Sportswear Running Shoeswhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
NIKE JORDAN HORIZON SIZE 10 MEN'S SHOES BLACK, WHITE, RED 823581 001 NEW IN BOX
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike Air Presto Essential Mens 848187-201 Neutral Olive Running Shoes Multi SizeNike KD V BHM Kevin Durant 5 Black History Month Men Size 10.5 583107-001specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.NIKE SHOX GRAVITY SHOES ATMOSPHERE GREY BLACK AR1999 011 LIFESTYLE NEW MENSBrand New Mens Lebron Soldier 10 Pinnacle AA1090-100 White Size 14
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Air Jordan B. Fly Soar Blue White Black 881444-402 $110 FKNike Air Force 1 Low '07 NBA Logo Pack White Black Orange 823511-104 $100 FVThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,NIKE Men's Jordan Formula 23 Low Sneaker Black 919724 010 sz 9~14Nike Kobe 11 XI Elite Green Glow Low All Star 822521-305 Men's Size 11 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
MENS NIKE AIR ODYSSEY LTR SHOES SIZE 7.5 blue silver navy 684773 402
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” (807472-102) MEN'S NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ NYLON WHITE/GYM BLUEand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nike Flyknit Trainer Mens Running Shoes Night Purple Black AH8396 500dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike SF Special Field Air Force 1 Mid Ivory Neutral Olive Size 10.5 [917753-101]
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Sb Shoe Goo Size 12. Rare.The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Air Max More Money As Qs sz 12 Aq0112 001 basketball shoes retro 270counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,nike Green Air max + 2009 sneakers Men 7.5 . Kept in storage !! Little Wear tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike SB Zoom Blazer Mid Yellow Size 10.5819685 103 NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA WHITE COOL GREY 8-13
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.NEW NIKE ZOOM ALL OUT LOW 2 - MEN'S Light Bone/Black AJ0035-001 Running ShoesNike Zoom KD 10 Igloo
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given