Repost of an NEW MEN'S NIKE TANJUN PREM 876899-303 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
[AA4083-400] NIKE AIR FORCE 1 '07 OBSIDIAN WHITE MEN SNEAKERS Sz 11 New
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.New NIKE Roshe Two Flyknit V2 Casual Shoes Mens V2 khaki green all sizesNike Shox Gravity sz 12 ar1999 100 trainer running shoes
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Men's All Court 2 Low Leather Shoes size 9 style 724271-100
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.New Nike Downshifter 7 Men's Running Shoes multiple colorsNIKE METCON 3 MEN'S CAMOUFLAGE CROSSFIT SHOES 852928 008 MULTIPLE SIZES NEW History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike SFB 6'' NSW Bomber Leather Mens Size Obsidian Boot 862507 401Air Force 1 Mid ‘07 315123 203 Medium Olive/Sail Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
New Nike SB Trainerendor Premium 812975-144 White/Summit White Brand New Size 11
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Nike Air Max 1 LHM Latino Heritage Month WASAFU NOMAD AH7740-100 NEW Men's US 5A604 Nike SB zoom Dunk Low Pro 854866-019 Mens Size 11 Shoes NEWAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike LeBron Soldier XI TB Promo Men's Basketball Shoes, Size 14.5, 943155 404
- DANSKO BLACK CLOG SHOES size 39 Uniform Wear 8.5 VERY STURDY Low Heels 8 1/2
- Z-Coil FREEDOM CLASSIC WHITE Covered WOMENS FW-02417-W Comfort Wide Shoes Zcoil~
- Hugo Boss Men's Gymm Neo Black Sport Sneakers Shoes Sz: 13
- Lovers Sports Shoes Casual Net Shoes Running Shoes Men's Shoes Women's Shoes
- Propet Mens Sergio Slip Resistant Work Shoe Black Waterproof Leather 10 M US
- Chuck Taylor All Star Converse Ct HI Dark Atomic Teal Unisex sneakers 157613F
- Puma Suede Classic Men's Sneakers Black-White 352634-03
- Womens mini bow Boots 6 Colors Available
- Tony Bianco Gidget Black Womens Shoes Casual Boots Ankle
- $139 BCBG BCBGeneration Women BG-Joesana Suede Ankle Bootie Shoe, Black, US 8.5
- Clarks Women Black 9.5M Merrian Rayna Knee High Leather Liteweight Boot Shoes
- Jack Rogers Deborah Booties - Women's Size 6 M, Charcoal
- Skechers USA Men's Corven Horst Slip-On Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- $1080 Prada 4E2830 Blue Nylon Suede Leather Fashion Trainers Sneakers Shoes 12
- BRUNELLO CUCINELLI Two Tone Brown Leather Fashion Sneakers US 9 NEW CM9
- Crocs MODI Sport Clog Unisex Clogs CrosLite Navy/Tennis Ball Green Blue
- Dolce Vita Women's BAZ Moccasin - Choose SZ/Color
- U.S. Polo Athletic Sneaker - Clutch 3
- New Balance Men's #MX99BK Training Sneaker Black/White 4E width
- Kamik CHAMPLAIN Leather/Rubber Winter Waterproof Ankle Boot Black Sz 12-M
- HOT Mens Lamb Fur Lined Suede Mid Calf Winter Warm Boots Vintage Zip Outdoor NEW
- Men's Polo Ralph Lauren Wittier DK Brown Leather SZ 7.5 MSRP 170$
- Mr/Ms Dunham Men's Gavin-Dun Shoe,Black Modern and elegant fashion New style List of explosions
- MENS TONY LAMA H4742 BLACK LEATHER BULLHIDE COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS SZ 8 EE
- Florsheim Men's Edge Gore Slip on Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- Vintage Mens Embroidery Dress Shoes Business Leather Shoes Youth Party Shoes New
- Christian Louboutin Mulit Color Bip Bip Women Sneakers Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Trouvé Dove Blakely Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- FENTY PUMA by Rihanna Pink Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Dunk High Pro SB 'Tecate' Size 11.5 Metallic Gold / Sport Red-Black
- Moreschi Men's Sumatra Black Leather Loafer New in Box
- Adidas Vigor Bounce Athletic Shoe - Women's Size 9, Haze Coral
- NEW NIKE PIPPEN 6 SHOES BLUE/WHITE 705065-400 MEN'S SIZE 6 RETAIL: $150 wmns 8
- adidas Originals Superstar Women's White/Supplier Colour/White Down CQ2514
- Nike AIR MAX SEQUENT 3 Womens Black Dark Grey 908993-011 Athletic Running Shoes
- Reebok Women's Runner Wide D MT Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Fashion Women's Round Toe Wedge Heels Shoes Pull On Athletic Ankle Boots size
- NIKE AIR ZOOM PEGASUS 34 RUNNING BRAND NEW/BOX MODEL 880555 403
- NIKE LEBRON XIII 13 BALANCE KNICKS CAVS SIZE 11 BLUE WHITE ORANGE 807219 418
- Man's/Woman's Franco Sarto Women's Kolette Fashion Boot Moderate price Beautiful Good quality
- Steve Madden Women's Gills Sneaker - Choose SZ/color
- Alberto Fermani Women's taupe / gray pull on booties sz. 41
- SANUK Womens Katalina Luxe Slip-On Loafer Shoes Slate Blue Flats Espadrille
- Vaneli Womens Disko Black Perf Soft Nabuk/Black Nabuk Sandal (B)
- Women's Cole Haan Zerogrand Perforated Sneakers Barley Pale Lilac Nubuck Size 10
- Kenneth Cole New York Women's Allyson Espadrille Platform Sneaker
- Fitflop Womens Fringey Sneakerloafer Slip On Shoes, Deep Plum Snake, US 6.5
- Asics Gel Kayano 23 NYC NEW YORK Running Shoes Gym Sneakers Womens 10 42 T6A7N
- J. Renee Women's Mayetta Slingback Pump Navy Pearlized Patent Synthetic
- NIKE AIR MAX 97 UL '17 SE BLACK/WHITE-HABANERO RED SIZE WOMEN'S 7 [AH6806-005]
- DAKOTA Women's Quad Lite Steel Toe Steel Plate Sneakers Black/Gray/Pink 8M
- VANELi Women's Bonet Slide Pale Platino Metallic Leather/Metal Detail Slides
- Men's/Women's bx32958 Dirk Bikkembergs bordeaux man's loafers service Stylish and charming buy online
- GENERIC SURPLUS MEN'S M WELLINGTON CVS BLACK SIZE 9.5 SHOES - BRAND NEW - NWT
- Madden Men's M-Dash Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Dr. Comfort Leader Chestnut Men's Size: 9 W Diabetic Leather Dress Shoes
- Skechers 52819W Mens Overhaul Debbir Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- Women's CARESSA JEANNINE KNEE HIGH BOOTS Size 9 Black Leather Side zipper Brazil
- STEVE MADDEN Light Brown Suede High Heel Zip Fringe Peep Toe Ankle Boots Sz 10 M
- DOUBLE-H HH Black Leather Road Logger Biker Boots Women's 9.5
- AC101 BIBI LOU shoes black leather women ankle boots
- Ilse Jacobsen Rub 1 Rain Boots-Women's size 7 Blue
- Bed Stu Richmond Oxford Shoes - Men's Size 11.5 - Rustic Brown
- Salvatore Ferragamo Blue Suede Runners 45 8562
- BUTTERO ITALY MEN SHOES SIZE : 41 insole 27-27,3CM LEATHER SOLE
- Merrell Espresso Sandals Men's 11 Brown Leather Fisherman
0 NIKE MEN'S SZ 8.5 TECH CHALLENGE II LASER MEN'S SHOES 832647 001
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, NEW NIKE ZOOM SHIFT MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOES BLACK/RED SIZE 10 897653 003the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:NIKE SB AIR FORCE II LOW QS DENIM EAST WEST BIGGIE TUPAC AO0298-441 Size 10.5New CONVERSE Chuck Taylor Street Mid Sneaker Mens all sizes black red.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike Lebron Soldier XI SFG 11 Light Bone Stucco Sz 9.5 897646-005
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike LunarEpic Low Flyknit 843764-300 Seaweed Black Ghost Green Mens Lunar EpicAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, New Nike Air Force 1 Premium SOUTH KOREA WORLD CUP WHITE ROYAL BLUE RED 11when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nike KB Kobe Bryant Mentality II Basketball Shoes Orange Yellow Sz10.5 818952003
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike Flex Experience RN 7 VII Run Grey Black White Men Running Shoes 908985-011Air Footscape Magista Flyknit wolf grey black navy blue size 11.5 816560 001specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Nike Charles Barkley Posite Max PRM QS "Area 72" Alien Men's Size 9.5Mens Nike METCON 4 Cross Fit Training Shoes -Black -2018 -AH7453 008 -Sz 8 -New
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Lebron Soldier XI SFG Sz 12 100% Authentic Dark Grey 897646 003MEN'S NIKE ROMALEOS 2 WHITE-BLACK WEIGHTLIFTING CROSSFIT 476927-101 SZ 16They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Mizuno Men's Synchro MX Running ShoesNike Lebron XI SOUTH BEACH Sz 8.5 Authentic 11 616175 330 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
NIKE Air Force 1 Ultraforce HI Mens Sz 10 Shoes Dark Team Red 880854 600
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” 2013 Nike KD 5 Extraterrestrial 13 ()and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, NEW MENS NIKE DUNK FLYKNIT RUNNING / CASUAL SHOES - 13 / 47.5 - AUTHENTIC - $120dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Men’s Nike Superfly 6 Academy MG Size-9 Black Orange (AH7362 081)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Dunk CMFT Premium QS Black/Flat Gold-Hyper Red Men's Shoes 716714-002The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, new mens nike free trainer V7 9.5/10.5/11 oregon ducks week zero aa0881-301counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,New! Men's Nike Zoom TJ Elite Triple Jump Track Spikes Shoes Sz 10 (705394-413) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.NIKE DUALTONE RACER PREMIUM SZ 8-13 BLACK WHITE PRM 924448 002Nike Air Zoom Spiridon '16 926955-105 Men's Lifestyle Shoes White NIB
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike NikeLab Air Unlimited Black Sail Wihte 854318-003 Msrp $180 BoNIKE MENS AIR MAX MODERN FLYKNIT SHOES ROUGH GREEN 876066 300 MULTIPLE SIZES NEW
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given