Repost of an Nike Air Zoom Talaria Mid FK Flyknit Mens Athletic Shoes Trainers Size 5.5 $200+ from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Zoom Superfly Elite Racing Spike Track Running Shoes 835996-413 Sz 7
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.NIKE Mercurial X Proximo Indoor/Court Soccer Shoe 718774-580 Men US 10.5332286-101 Nike Blazer High Premium TZ Stussy x Neighborhood 8 8.5 9
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Men's Nike Kaishi 2.0 SE Running Shoes Black/White New In Box Sz 8-12 844838-005
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Zoom Superfly ELITE Racing Spike Shoes, Blue 6, 11, 12Nike Air Zoom Spiridon '16 926955-105 Men's Lifestyle Shoes White NIB History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike Zoom Train Complete Amp Men's training shoe Super Bowl edition 882152 001MEN'S NIKE ZOOM BRUIN SB SHOES SIZE 12.5 obsidian red 366665 461 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Roshe run FB 580573-402 QS DS authentic max air retro jordan trainer SB
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NIB MENS SIZE 9 NIKE AIR FORCE 1 HIGH '07 BASKETBALL SNEAKERS BLACK 806403-006NIKE AIR MAX AUDACITY 813318-160 MEN'S SIZE 17 SHOES SNEAKERS BASKETBALLAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Black Mamba Kobe BryantBlack/Universal Gold, Size 10.5, Nike Basketball Shoes,
- Women's / US 8 Josef Seibel Comfort Velcro Leather Walking Shoes Brown
- Eastland Women's Debora Loafer Camel Leather Loafers
- Camper Men Shoes Beetle Leather Sneakers Trainers Fashion Shoes
- ALDO Mens Trendy Square Toe Slip On Black Leather Shoes Size 12 Euro 45
- Ths01 Men Oxfords Zapato Driving Suede Moccasin Leisure Loafer Slip On Dress Sho
- Mens Pointy Toe Casual Oxfords Patent Leather Business Nightclub Shoes Plus Size
- New Rockport Perforated Mudguard Leather Men Sneakers Sz 11
- BOC Born Concept Women's Black Leather Ankle high heel Boots Sz 8.5
- Aerosoles Ankle Boots Size 7.5 Black Leather Zip Up Chunky Heel Mule Shoes Women
- Funtasma by Pleaser Womens Flat- Select SZ/Color.
- SUPER SEXY! VIKTOR & ROLF BLACK LEATHER KNEE HEEL BOOTS SZ 37.5/ 6.5 US NICE
- Womens ACME Sz 7.5 M Grey Cowboy Boots Stacked Heels Gold Tips
- Dr. Martens Edison Soft Wair Black Leather Shiney Slip-On Loafers Shoes Men's 10
- RALPH LAUREN MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW GREY 5C5
- Gentleman/Lady Bally Avallo Sneakers 10 High quality and low overhead the most economical Good quality
- Nike COMFORT SLIDE 2 Mens White Silver 100 Slip On Slide Sandals Shoes
- Slip on gothique, rock, emo DRAVEN SKULLENTINE Black pink
- New fashion Men's round toe tassel Driving Moccasins Casual Flats Shoes
- Mr/Ms Jordan size 13 Fine workmanship International choice As of the latest model
- DANNER Boots Men's Size 11 D Work CENTURION 8 GORE-TEX Black Leather #B1999
- EUC Ariat 10010938 Black Weather Square Toe Cowboy Western Boots Size 9D
- Men's Bates Lites Buckle Chukka Black Leather SZ 7.5 MSRP 185$ Made in USA
- Mr/Ms NEW Converse Work 5.5 C4333 (H24T) main category Online Superb craftsmanship
- Mens Military Leather Riding Knee High Boot Casual Boots Shoes Pull On Stylish
- MEN'S GBX SMOOTH BLACK LEATHER PULL ON HARNESS BOOT SIZE 7
- Nike Roshe Tiempo VI QS Men's Shoes Black/Black/Metallic Gold/White 853535-007
- Sergio Rossi Blue Indigo Scarpe Donna Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Brown Amy Ballet Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- H&M Black Chunky Heel Genuine Leather Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- New Men's Nike Lebron Soldier IX Think Pink size 11
- Tod's Men's Leather Tassle Loafer Shoes Black Brown
- adidas Baseball Bat EQT X2 33 inch 30 oz
- Nike Rosherun One Challenge Red sz 10.5 636220 601 leopard yeezy trophy white
- [Adidas] AW4014 Advantage Clean QT Women Shoes Sneakers White Gold
- Nike Women's Classic Cortez SE MetallicSilver/White 902856-006
- New Balance WT00PP2 - Women's 00v2 Trail Running Shoes
- Women Transparent Ankle Boots Stiletto Heels Pointy Toe Back Zipper Shoes Plus
- Nike Men's Shoes Size 10.5 Kobe XI 11 3D Low Grey Crimson Basketball 836183-084
- Nike Air Trainer Max 91 Haystack/Red-Velvet Brown Bo Jackson 309748-700 SZ 10
- Women Clear Transparent New Rain Ankle Boots Round Toe Zipper Block Heel Shoes
- Jack Skellington Nightmare Before Christmas WOMEN's Martin Boots Disney Burton
- Caterpillar Corrine Boot Brown 8 B(M) US
- ARRAY Womens superior Leather Closed Toe Loafers, Black, Size 11.0 Q9sa
- Karl Lagerfeld Giselle Brown Black Silver Suede Fashion Sneakers Women's 7.5 M
- NIB Cobb Hill by New Balance Ivanka Mist Oxford Shoes size 6 W
- Ariat Women's Bit Cruiser, Navy, 7.5 B US
- NIB Dansko Professional Leather Clog in Viola Patent Leather
- Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Madison Fashion Sneaker,
- Nike Womens Air Max Jewel Running Trainers 896194 Sneakers Shoes 101
- Women's Adidas Ultra Boost 3.0 Sz 9.5 100% Authentic White Pearl Grey S80687
- Ecco Womens Black Basket Weave Clogs Shoes Size US 5-5.5
- Women's DANSKO Clog Professional Dark Red Oiled Leather Mule Size 38 (7.5-8)
- Men Vlado Footwear Shoes Mogul Fashion Black Size 12
- New Mens Casual Korean Breathable Sneakers Sports Running Flats Vogue Shoes Hot
- Men's Fashion Stylish Metal Decor Slip On Loafers Clubwear Oxfords Shiny Shoes #
- Cole Haan Vartan Sport Oxford Men's Black Canvas Tennis Shoes Size 9.5M #C12195
- Saucony Jazz Original S2044-435 Blue Suede Casual Shoes Medium (D,M) Men
- Prialpas Sz 9M Brown Suede Leather Knee High Boots Made In Italy See Description
- Camel Color 3" High Wedge Heel Comfortable Knee Boot Top Rabbit Fur Size 7
- JOULES WELLY PRINT WOMEN'S TALL RAIN BOOTS PINK FLOWER US 7
- New Farylrobin Morris Black Crackle Gunmetal Leather Boots Sz 9
- David Tate Womens Citadel Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- New Vivobarefoot Flex Mens Suede Cement Minimalist Sneaker Trainer
- Men's To Boot New York Aster Brown Suede SZ 8.5 MSRP 350$ Made in ITALY
- To Boot New York Men’s huston white leather sneakers size 10 $ 98.00
- Mens Black Weave Real Leather Outdoor Roma Slippers Shoes Beach Sandals Mules Sz
Nike Lebron XII 12 Witness Cleveland Orange 684593 830 Sz 13 BasketBall Shoes
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, NIKE ZOOM TRAIN TORNADA BLACK TURQUOISE GREY WHITE TRAINING SZ 8-13 * 835657-003the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike Air Jordan Retro High OG 1 Lemon Lime Gatorade Cyber Yellow AJ5997-345 Sz10NIKE AIR ZOOM SPIRIDON 16 RETRO RUNNING SHOES WHITE/ORNG MEN 9.5 NEW 926955-106.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike Zoom HJ Elite High Jump Track Cleat Shoes Volt Pink
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Zoom Fly "Crimson" Men's Running Shoes (Size 15). Great condition!After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Hypervenom Phinish FG Mens Soccer Cleats Size 8 Black Blue Volt 749901-017when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nike Zoom Assersion Low Basketball Shoes Sz 10.5
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, NIKE LEBRON SOLDIER XI SFG Mens Shoes Light Bone Dark 897646 005 RARE Sz 12.5NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI DARK GREY / BLACK-WHITE *NEW*specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Nike Free Train Virtue Mens Size 10 Running Shoes Black & Whitenike flyknit trainer Crimson 2013 Size 11.5
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Air Force 1 White / Game Royal-Turf Orange Knicks 488298 142 Size: 10NIKE AIR MAX SEQUENT 2 852461 001 BLACK/METALLIC HEMATITE-DARK GREY SIZE 11.5They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,NIKE FS LITE TRAINER 4 SNEAKERS grey red and black 844794 600 size 11NIKE AIR ZOOM SPIRIDON “DESERT RED" sz 9 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nike Court Royale Prem Casual Men's Shoes Size
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Lunar Restoa 2 KJCRD QS Men's Running Shoes 777503-006 Black/Crimson/Greenand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nike Air Huarache Run Mid Black Trainers Hot Punch 807313-003 6-9dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike Lebrom Zoom Soldier II 318694-001 Black Shoes size 10.5
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. NIKE MEN'S METCON DSX FLYKNIT 852930-002 TRAINING SHOES 9.5The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Air Max Audacity 2016 Size 20 Mens Basketball Shoes Navy White Silvercounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike Kobe AD, Black / Sail / Light Gum Brown, 922482 006, Size 13 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike Men's Zoom Train Incredibly Fast Shoe NIB 844803 100 (Sz11&12) Wh/Blk/GreyNike Air Force 1 AF 1 color block mens shoes low top sz US 14
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike Free Train Force Flyknit Men's Athletic Shoes 833275-999 US Siz 10.5 / 11.5Nike Air Meadow OG VINTAGE 1994 Sneakers Athletic Multi Leather Men's 14
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given