Repost of an NEW Nike Football White/Maroon/Maize Men's Cleats size 14 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Free RN Ghost Green Black Men's Running Shoes Size 13 831508-302
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Kyrie 3 TD - White/Black Basketball Shoes (Men's 16) -Nike Stefan Janoski SBxFB Mens size 12
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Air Mission Size 8 629467-102
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Hyperfresh PRM Premium Black & White Polka Dot Mens Size 11 805898-002NIKE ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI CANVAS SB 11.5 RED GREEN YELLOW DIGI FLORAL 615957 613 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.651549-505 Nike Men Magista Onda TF Turf Soccer purple whiteNIKE ZOOM RIVAL D 9 Black Lime Green Mid Distance Track Spikes NEW Mens 10 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
NIKE JORDAN Flight Luxe Black Gym Red 919715 002 - Men 10 New/NoLid
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Nike Lebron XII Lows GS 744547-838 Kids Size 6.5Y Orange/Blue/White$200 Nike Mens Size 12 Untouchable 2 Black Shattered Wolf Grey Football CleatsAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike Air Max Prime Black White Sz 12 876068-001
- Super- Fendi Boots Manufacturer'S 40 Reference 27Cm (129710
- Womens Dansko Professional Patent Plume Pro Work Clogs 406770202 Sizes 37-40
- TAN BURNISHED LEATHER APRON TOE PENNY LOAFERS BY BRUNE (VNGS-096-09)
- Man/Woman Report Men's Maratt Slip-On Loafer We have won praise from our customers. Won highly appreciated and widely trusted at home and abroad General product
- Vogue Mens Floral Canvas Slip On Loafers Oxfords Moccasins Shoes Pump Casual New
- Dr Martens Doc Mawgan Dark Brown Loafers Slip Ons Shoes Mens Size US 7
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Striper II LTT Leather Sneaker, Grey, 12 Medium US
- Men's/Women's Zara Mini Booties Charming design modern high quality product
- Lands' End ~ Cold Weather Women's Shearling Suede Boots $70 NIB
- ECCO Bottines Boots Femme Cuir Noir et Textile T 41 TBE
- NEW* Bearpaw Hickory NEVERWET Suede Ankle Boot with Faux Rabbit Cuff Trim 7M
- Women's 8.5M Black Suede Cowgirl Boots Gianni Bini
- New Tsubo ARATUS Men Leather Shoes Size US 13 (MSRP $160)el
- SAS Guardian Black 11 WW Men's Shoes New
- New Ralph Lauren Edric Black Penny Loafer Shoes Made In USA 4 $395
- NIKE AIR JORDAN HYDRO 6 SLIDE SANDAL MEN'S 11 BLACK/WHITE/WOLF GREY 881473-011
- Gentleman/Lady Vince Camuto Women's Annaley Ballet Flat elegant Skilled manufacturing Elegant and solemn
- Under Armour Mens Basketball Shoes High Tops Size 7.5 Black Leather A-62
- NIKE Air Max Destiny TB Mens Flywire Basketball Shoe Red Black White size 15
- Men&Women's Couples Steel Toe Safety Work Breathable Sneakers Smart Casual Shoes
- Calvin Klein Men's Kenley Calf Suede Slip-On Loafer
- VTG MENS BRONCO COWBOY LEATHER BURGUNDY BOOTS SIZE 7 D
- BLACKHAWK Black Short Leather Comfort Boots. MEN Sz 9.5
- TOTO F70272- 3.2 Inches Height Increasing Elevator Brown Casual Work Style Boot
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Design 10572 Loafer,
- NIKE SB ERIC KOSTON - BLACK / BLACK - CYBER GREEN - WHITE 725055 002 SZ 8.5
- Christian Louboutin Multicolor Intern Spikes Spiked Toe Red Orange Loafers Flats Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Ivory Patent Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Steve Madden Black Crisscross Leather Slide Sandals Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Zoom Kobe 11 3D Men’s Size 10 NEW 836183-084 Hollywood XI
- Dr Martens Mens 3989 White Mono Brogue Leather Shoes
- Gentleman/Lady：Puma Women's Fenty Surf Slide Sandals Green Gecko 367747-04：Multiple new designs
- NEW NIKE DUAL FUSION TRAIL Running MENS 7 Black Volt Red NIB
- LE NOUVEAU CHAUSSURES ADIDAS NMD_R1 STLT PRIMEKNIT AC8326
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 ULTRA FORCE MID JOLI - Black/White (725075-001) Sz 6
- Adidas FLB W Purple/White-Gym BY9302 Women's SZ 6
- Baretraps Rusty Water Resistant Winter Boots -Black 6 M US New In Box
- Nike Air Max 90 Essential OG Men Running Casual Shoes Sneakers Pick 1
- Adidas Adizero Tempo 9 Brand New Never Worn
- RALPH LAUREN COLLECTION Short Boots Tan Suede Size 6B - EUC
- Under Armour Women's Street Precision Slip Metalli - Choose SZ/color
- Gray Shimmer Canvas KEDS Low Ankle Sporty Casual Sneaker Oxford Shoes Size 8
- Clarks Artisan Brown Suede and Leather Flats Size 8.5M 31070 2059
- FitFlop Women's Shuv Patent Mule 9 BM US, Midnight Navy
- Jill Sander Black Patent Leather Ballet Flats Size 8
- Sweet Womens Carved Leather Flats Oxfords Sandals Hollow Out Slip On Shoes Comfy
- Cobb Hill Revchi Ballet Flat By Rockport Black - 8.5 N
- nike air zoom fearless flyknit 922883-001 Retail 140
- Women's Nike AF1 Flyknit Sz 8 100% Authentic Retro Air Force 818018 800
- Adidas Stan Smith B24105 WHT/GRN Womens Size 8.5
- Dr. Scholl's Womens Madi Jute Blue Flats Size 8.5 (22242)
- Therafit Women's Samantha Slip-On Shoe Black Suede Comfort Shoes
- 550$ Bally Willet White and Silver Leather Sneakers size US 11.5 Made in Italy
- VT669 John Lobb - WILLOUGHBY - Regal Purple Suede - F - 8000 Last
- Fashion Mens Boys Platform Wedge Sneakers Low High Top Sport Students Shoes Hot
- Columbia Mens Black Tan Cascadian Summit Winter Thermolite Boots #BM1168-255 11
- NIB Hush Puppies Men's Strategy Oxford Bowen Leather Shoes - Extra Wide 11-11.5
- Men's/Women's Ladies Spot On Boots Label F50071 Not so expensive High-quality materials German Outlets
- Bucco Capensis Black Knee High Boots. Size 8
- Sam Edelman Petty Ankle Boots Women's Size 8.5 M Black Suede Low Cut Booties
- Wittner Brand Womens Grey Leather Ankle Boots Size 41 NEW
- Calvin Klein Womens Jozie Suede Pointed Toe Ankle, Shadow Grey/Black, Size 8.0 f
- Men's/Women's Florsheim Men's Riva Customer first product quality Contrary to the same paragraph
- Brunello Cucinelli Men's Sneakers retail price $795
- Caterpillar Recourse Oxford Men's Black Shoes Sneakers
- NEW! MENS HURLEY PHANTOM FREE SANDALS THONGS KHAKI BROWN BLACK size 9
NIKE MENS ZOOM LIVE II EP BASKETBALL SHOE #AH7567-100
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Brand new Nike Zoom low top Size 14.5 Autographedthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Saucony Echelon 6 Navy Running Shoe Men's US 11.5 (W) Eur 46 (K0,8)Nike Mens Size 8.5 Zoom Kobe Venomenon 5 Basketball Shoes 749884-585 Purple.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike Air Max Effort TR AMP Super Bowl, Black/Orange, 705367-008, Men's Size 13
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Tanjun Running Black/Black-Anthracite 812654 001After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Flex 2017 RN Sequoia/Black Medium Olive New with Box 898457-300 Size 10when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
NIKE AIR FORCE 1 MENS SZ 10 LEBRON JAMES HATER 311729 661 CHAMBER OF FEAR AF1
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, NIKE AIR ASSAULT IPC INDEPENDENT PLEASURE CLUB BLACK FIVES BASKETBALL SHOES SZ14Men's Jordan BCT Mid 2 Training Shoes-Black- Sz 13.5- 616362-003specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Nike Zoom Men’s JA FLY 3 OC Rio Track & Field Spikes Volt Size 10.5 (882032-999)Nike Men's Zoom Hyperfuse 2013 Green Glow Game Royal Basketball Shoes Size 15
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. NIKE WHITE ON BLACK LUNAR HYFERFUSE 469756 105 MEN SIZE 13 MJordan White/ Blue size US11They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,NIKE VANDAL HIGH SUPREME LTR JOHN ELLIOT BLACK size 9.5 Model AH8518 001NEW Nike Free Train Versatility Amp Green GYM Training Running Shoe 833336 316 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nike Lunar Hyperquickness TB Basketball Shoes 652775-607 Red/Metallic Slvr Sz 10
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Jordan CP3 VII Violet Purple Shoes- Size 8.5and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, nike air force 1 Low Black And white size 13 huarache Jordan 1 2 3 5 7dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Men's Nike Free Run Train Versatility Sneakers, UNC Tarheels Blue New B35
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Mens Shoes Af-1 82 Size 10 Good Condition Look at the PictuesThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Men’s Nike Air Max Lebron X(10) Low “Easter” Size 10.5counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Men's Size 10.5 2012 Nike Air Jordan Flight Luminary Basketball Shoes 551820-027 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.nike high dunk grey black and white- SIZE 9.5Nike Roshe Running Shoes Mens Size 10 Black White
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.NEW 705461-400 Nike Men's Lunartempo Running Lyon Blue Sneakers Shoes Sz 13Men's NEW Size 11 Nike Hyperdunk '08 GYM RED/WHITE-TEAM RED
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given