Repost of an NEW MEN NIKE LUNARLON RUNNING SHOES -STABLE RIDE SOFT -BLACK AND GREEN SIZE 12.5 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Mens Nike Classic Cortez Shoes Blue Yellow Size 12
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Size 9 High Jump Elite Rio Olympic Track and Field 882028-999Nike Flex Experience RN Men's Running Shoe 749179 009 Size 8.5
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
NIKE AIR VICTOR CRUZ TRAINER LIGHT BONE WHITE [777535 003] MEN'S SZ 8.5
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.NIKE MERCURIAL VICTORY VI IC CR7 RONALDO SIZE 11 BRAND NEW (852526-376)Nike Roshe Running Shoes Mens Size 10 Black White History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Vintage Nike Air Max Hyped TB 407705-601 Red Athletic Sneaker Euro 50.5 US 162005 Nike Air Brown Shoes Men's Size 9.5 Rare Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
New NIKE VAPOR SPEED TF TURF training football/lacrosse/soccer 833408-001 Sz 8
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Nike Air Zoom Spiridon '16 shoes sz 11.5 926955 105 running trainer crossfitNEW NIKE MENS INDOOR SOCCER SHOES MERCURIAL SIZE 10 Futbol FootballAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.NIKE HYPERVENOM PHELON 3 DF FG BLACK ON BLACK SIZE 12 NEW W/BOX (917764-001)
- DANSKO BLACK CLOG SHOES size 39 Uniform Wear 8.5 VERY STURDY Low Heels 8 1/2
- Z-Coil FREEDOM CLASSIC WHITE Covered WOMENS FW-02417-W Comfort Wide Shoes Zcoil~
- Hugo Boss Men's Gymm Neo Black Sport Sneakers Shoes Sz: 13
- Lovers Sports Shoes Casual Net Shoes Running Shoes Men's Shoes Women's Shoes
- Propet Mens Sergio Slip Resistant Work Shoe Black Waterproof Leather 10 M US
- Chuck Taylor All Star Converse Ct HI Dark Atomic Teal Unisex sneakers 157613F
- Puma Suede Classic Men's Sneakers Black-White 352634-03
- Womens mini bow Boots 6 Colors Available
- Tony Bianco Gidget Black Womens Shoes Casual Boots Ankle
- $139 BCBG BCBGeneration Women BG-Joesana Suede Ankle Bootie Shoe, Black, US 8.5
- Clarks Women Black 9.5M Merrian Rayna Knee High Leather Liteweight Boot Shoes
- BcBgeneration Nerissa Wedge Mule Suede Platform Slip On Size 5.5 8.5 $110 New
- Man/Woman Stacy Adams Waltham Men's Oxford Charming design New style leading the fashion
- Men's MEPHISTO 'Bonito' Brown Leather Sneakers Size US 11
- Mr/Ms Mens Thorocraft Ross Black ROSS13R0S Practical and economical New design best seller
- crocs Unisex Bistro Clog, Black,11 US Mens/ 13 US Womens
- Women Slipper Slip on Mule Metal Chain Indoor Outdoor Chic Shoes Real Rabbit Fur
- UA Charged Bandit 3 Men's Running Shoes Size 5.5 Red and Black
- Fashion Unisex Shoes Athletic Outdoor Running Sneakers Breathable Casual Flats
- EK EURBACK - HIGH TOP WORK BOOTS INSULATED WATER RESISTANT WHEAT SIZE 6-13 (6311
- Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Chukka Boot Dark Brown 9.5 M US/42.5 EU
- Vintage 1980's L.L. Bean Men's Insulated Work Boots Size 11.5 W Made In USA
- Black Leather Pull On Western Cowboy Boots Mens Size 10.5 D Style 6691
- Steel toe safety boots work – western design wellington look
- Calvin Klein Men's Bayard Leather Loafer - Choose SZ/color
- Kenneth Cole Double Hearder MB Men’s High Top Shoes Sz 10 $158
- ALAÏA New Suede Ankle Boots/Booties Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Garavani Suede Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- adidas By Stella McCartney Black Discosura High Top Sneakers Sneakers Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Revolution 3 III Black Grey White Mens Running Shoes Sneakers 819300-001
- Red Wing Mil-1 Black Esquire Plain Toe Leather Blucher Oxfords 9087 Size US 7 D
- Adidas V Racer 2.0 B75799 Men's Sneakers
- Nike Free Run Commuter 2017 SIZE 12 White-Pure Platinum
- Adidas Originals Women's Superstar Slip-on Shoes Size 5.5 us CQ2382 LAST PAIR
- Nike Free 4.0 Flyknit Women's Running Shoe 631050 501 Size 10.5
- NIB ASICSGEL CONTEND 4 Women's T765N.4393 Blue/Silver/Orchid Runing Shoe US 6.5
- Sbicca Women's Jeronimo Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Brand New Nike Air Python SP White/Tan size 11.5
- adidas Originals Women's Superstar Decon W Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Crown Vintage Womens Tabby Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Fashion, Grey, Size 11.0 TA
- Reebok SD, Grey/Turquoise Athletic Oxford, Alloy Toe RB045
- NIB FRYE VERONICA BACK ZIP SHORT Dark Brown Antique Leather Boots 6.5 (6 1/2)
- Clarks Unstructured Womens 7W Brown Leather Slip On Mary Jane Flats Loafers
- Aerosoles Women's Rite on Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Baldan Black/Silver Flat With Silver Metallic Tip Size 41
- Cole Haan Womens elsie logo ballet ll Cap Toe Ballet Flats
- ALDO Women's Vergemoli Mule Natural Snake Flocked Synthetic Flats
- Nike Air Force 1 Ultra Force Mid Gym Red/Gym Red 654851-601 Women's SZ 9.5
- Skechers Women's Go Run 600-Refine Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- THIRTYTWO WOMENS "FOCUS BOA" SNOWBOARDING BOOT BLACK/TURQUOISE US SIZE 10 MEDIUM
- Women Crocs Alice Work Flat Slip On 11050-001 Black 100% Authentic Brand New
- Moxie Trades Women's Lotus Black Leather/Suede Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
- COSTUME NATIONAL High Top Sneaker Size 41 / US 8 MSRP $879.
- Men's Canvas Shoes Casual Floral Loafers Breathable Slip On Student Flat Shoes
- NEW! Skechers Men's ELMENT MERON Shoes Black/Grey T dz
- MEN'S NIKE MARQUEE LEATHER 580537-012 BLACK/WHITE-SAIL-GUM MED BROWN
- MENS BLACK CLARKS SHOES STYLE HUCKLEY ROLL
- NEW Women's Hot Fashion Knee High Riding Flat Heel Boots Shoes Faux Leather
- SPORTO WINTER ANKLE BOOTS GRAIN PICK SIZE & COLOR NTO
- New Kodiak Womens Waterproof Leather Waterproof Insulated Boots Size 10-(B-39)
- New STEVEN by STEVE MADDEN Sydnee Black Leather Motorcycle Knee High Boots 6.5
- SLOOSH Italy Logo Women's Black Rubber Rain Boots Shoes Sz 6 - 36
- Timex Men's Expedition Digital Shock CAT Resin Strap Watch
- Rockport RK6734 Men's Sailing Club Steel Toe Leather XRD Met Guard Work Shoes
- Adidas Y-3 Yohji Yamamoto Qasa High AQ2544 Limited Edition
- Diesel Mens SA-Maral Open Toe Slip On Slippers Black Size 7.5
Mens NIKE Air Zoom Vomero 9 Running Cross Training Shoes 12 (647377-007) (M-173)
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Vintage 90s Black Nike Cortez ‘72 Sz 10.5 Swoosh Classic Kicks Hip-Hop L@@K!the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Mens Large Size Nike 622306 Multi Color Football Cleats 14 M..434ANIKE Tanjun Men's Running/Training Shoes Grey 812654 014 Sz8-10 K.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike KD V 5 Christmas 2012 VNDS Men’s Size 10 - 554988-401 - With OG Box E.U.C
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. New Nike 525313-050 Mach Force Walking Trainer Men Fashion Sneaker Sz 11After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Benassi Solarsoft Slide 2 Men's Photo Blue/White/Binary Blue 05474402when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Men's 2010 Nike Trainer SC Shoes Size 11 (386484-161) (M-188)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, 2009 NIKE Dunk Med Pro SB Aquamarine/Black Suede, US Size 11.5Nike Kawa Adjust Slide Men's Black/White 34818001specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.SALE Mens Nike DUEL RACER 918228 004 Pale Grey TrainersNike Tiempo Mystic V FG 5 men soccer cleats football NEW light crimson
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. New Nike Zoom Victory 2 Mens Track Field Spike Mid Distanc Racing Shoes. Size 13New Nike T-Lite Xi Mens White Cross Trainers Sport Shoes SneakersThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike Tanjun Trainers Mens US 12 CM 30 REF 4353NIKE PRE MONTREAL '17 898031-001 black/sail-pale grey-sail Size 8.5 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
MENS NIKE TRAIN SPEED 4 TRAINING SHOES / SIZE 10.5 / RED-BLACK-CRIMSON /
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” WMNS NIKE LUNARSTORM 417724-001 lght bn/lght bn-drk cndr-gldn Size 8and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nike Air Odyssey 684773-100 Men's Running Leather Shoes Sneakers US Size 11.5dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike Air Jordan AJF 13 Fusion Men's Basketball Shoe 375453-061 Size 10 AA37
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Dual Fusion ST3 Men's Running Training Shoes Size 8, 657500-004The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, NIKE KD DURANT VI 6 Seat Pleasant YELLOW/ TEAL BASKETBALL SHOES Men’s Size 8.5counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike Air Jordan Flight Remix Men's Basketball Shoes Sneaker 679680-020 US Sz 9.5 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.NIKE ZOOM DUNK CMFT PRM WOLF GREY Mens Style :705433 Size 13Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit Mens Running Shoes 10 Cool Grey Black 843764 005
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike Air Zoom Elite 9 IX Black White Running Shoes 863769 001 Men'sNIB NIKE 880555 406 MEN ZOOM PEGASUS 34 DARK BLUE/OBSIDIAN SNEAKERS SHOE $120
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given