Repost of an Superga Black S003j40 Sneakers Size US 5 Regular (M, B) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Sam Edelman Beige Or A Natural Rose Flynn Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Tory Burch Black & Gold Reva Ballet Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)Cole Haan Nude Discontinued Pumps Size US 12 Regular (M, B)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Badgley Mischka Pewter Silver Antlea Formal Shoes Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Vince Camuto Brown with Orange Detailed Heal Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)Emilio Pucci Slides Sandals Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Donald J. Pliner Black Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Céline Brown Leather Logo Canvas Sneaker Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B) Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Steve Madden Blue Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Stuart Weitzman Nude Pointed Toe Patent Leather Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Diane von Furstenberg Black Dvf Heels Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Stuart Weitzman Clear Nuclear Sandals Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- Dansko 38 (EU) 7.5/8 (US) Crushed Velvet Clogs Brown Closed Back Career Shoes
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Pearl Cross-Strap Black Full Grain Leather Mary Janes
- Men Hugo Boss Shoes Orland_Lowp_sdny1 Sneakers Blue Size 10
- Mens Propet Summit Walker M6026 Outdoor Hiking Trail Boots Size 8.5 M
- Alfani Crown Leather Oxfords Black Men's 9 M US - MSRP $99
- Giorgio Brutini Mens Candent 21094 Leather Wingtip Oxford Dress Shoe Gray 9.5 11
- men's shoes +2 MADE IN ITALY 8 () slip on blue leather BZ452-B
- New Women Breckelles Dorado-18 Suede Fringe Cap Toe Ankle Bootie Size
- Mi Bottes BARRATTS Daim Marron Clair T4 (37) TTBE
- Womens Ladies Fashion Suede Leather Rabbit Fur High Heel Ankle Boots Shoes Rainb
- VINTAGE LEATHER EUROPEAN PLATFORM BOOTS IVORY BULGERIA WOOL LINED 7.5 M TALL
- Unisa Womens subrina Fabric Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Boots Black Size 6.5
- New Mezlan Windsor 6 M tan (1108)
- Peal & Co. Ltd. For Brooks Brothers Velvet Smoking Slippers With Crown Size 8
- 650$ Tod's Brown Moccassino Formale Suede Loafers Size US 13.5 Made In Italy
- Mens Leather Beach Closed Toe Slip On Fisherman Sandals Outdoor Business Shoes
- Man's/Woman's CLARKS Women's Azella Revere Loafer bargain a wide range of products Selling new products
- Men's Nike Air Max LTD 2 Size 13 Black/Gray Running Athletic Shoes 316391-013
- Kenneth Cole Men's Black Double Or Nothing Slip On Sneaker Shoe Size 10.5
- Men’s Lugz Black Leather Steel-toe NY LUG CO Shoes Size 9.5, Excellent!
- Authentic Dolfie ankle boots chukka soft leather Shoes Mens Sz-US10 Rare
- Mens Suede Leather Pointed Toe High Top Buckle Chelsea Ankle Boots shoes dress
- Vintage Dingo Glossy BURGUNDY Leather Cowboy Western Boots USA Made Men's 12 D
- New Clarks Devington Hi Men Leather Boots Size 10 blk
- Steve Madden Men's Zepplyn Slip-on Loafer - Choose SZ/color
- ZARA MAN ROCKIN CRYSTAL STUDDED DTL BLACK HI-TOP SNEAKERS Sz 10US 43EUR BNWT
- Isabel Marant Black Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Moulamax 100 Red Velvet Floral Heel 39.5 Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Burberry Black and Navy Leather Suede Badington Short Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Untouchable Vapor Men's Shoes Gym Red/Gold/Red/White 807164-600
- Samuel Hubbard Camplight Water Resistant Boat Shoe Size 10 M
- Men/Women: Lebron 9 Low Floridian: general product
- NIKE DUEL RACER SE BLACK COOL GREY SAIL ROSHE HUARACHE PRESTO SZ 8-13 AH7359-001
- adidas ULTRA BOOST X LIMITED EDITION WHITE WOMEN'S GIRLS TRAINERS GYM COMFY NEW
- SZ.5 Nike Wmns Classic Cortez Prem AR5696 202 "Maria Sharapova" ParticleBeige
- Report Women's Alexa Sneaker,, Nude, Size 7.0
- Womens Over Knee Boots Pull on Pointed Toe Block flower Embroidery Shoes Fashion
- Nike LeBron Soldier XI SFG Safari Black/Team Orange Size US 13 Men's 897646 006
- Women's Adidas Edge Lux Running Shoes Coral/White SSC20-179
- $379 PAUL GREEN Reese Dark Brown Suede Bootie, 10 US
- Skechers Women's Halo-Glory-Space Dyed Winter Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Brand new Decree Dark Brown sz 9 women's suede slip-on sporty flats
- LifeStride Women's Qwin Pointed Toe Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Paul Green 8 Black Slip On Women's Shoe
- New Womens TARYN ROSE Faye Grey Silky Suede Pointed Toe Flats Shoes 34TR0252
- Walking Cradles Women's Windsor Moc Toe Mule Black Patent Snake Print Leather
- Klogs Austin Womens - Clogs Flower Tool - 6 Medium
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2 Black/White-Anthracite 863780-001 Women's SZ 11
- Gentleman/Lady Drew Women's Ashton Heel use First grade in its class Diversified new design
- W Nike Air Max 1 Premium SC Jewel P36,5/6us/3,5uk
- Jessica Simpson Womens Shoes Size 6 B 36 Beige Blush MicroSuede Stiletto Pumps
- Dansko Vegan Canvas White Professional Nurse Clogs Shoes Size 42 (CON15)
- BRAND NEW ADIDAS × RAF SIMONS New Runner Core Black DA9297 size US 11
- Men's SAS "Time Out" Bone Leather TriPad Comfort Oxford Shoes 8.5 N~ EXCELLENT
- Gentlemen/Ladies Mariposa Beaded Wine Plate, "cheers" elegant Used in durability International big name
- Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Joplin Suede,Chukka-inspired fashion sneaker Size:11D US
- Men's Mephisto Black Leather Oxford Casual Dress Shoes Sz 11 Bicycle Toe France
- Coconuts Women's Western Casual Fashion Boots "Gaucho" SIze 6 M (Lot E)
- Vintage LL Bean Canada North Boots Lined Women’s 11 M Olive Green Suede Leather
- Womens Embroidery Floral Ankle Boots Chunky High Heel Casual Shoes Retro Cotton
- Chinese Laundry Women's Indigo Girl Boot Black Leather 6.5 M US
- BLACK OR RED PATENT LEATHER BALLET BOOTS SIZE 10-16 HEELS-8,5"- PRODUCER- POLAND
- CAMPER Mens Atom Muffler Work Kenia US 11
- Dirk Bikkembergs Low Osaka Dark Ice Florida Grey, Men’s Shoes, Size 11M
- Men's/Women's Florsheim Bahama in Brown, Navy Reliable quality modern Rich on-time delivery
- NEW SANUK MEN'S SIDEWALK SURFER CHIBA BROWN SMF1047 BRN SIZE 10
Steve Madden Black Maker Riding Boot#great For Motorcycle Riding# Boots/Booties Size US 8.5
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Cole Haan Brown with A Sheen M Wooden Beads Very Good Condition Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Loeffler Randall Gold Calf Hair Slide Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Salvatore Ferragamo Silver Fabina Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Anyi Lu Black Handmade In Italy Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Beverly Feldman Black Patent Ganache2 Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Miz Mooz Green Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Dansko Black Bonita Leather Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, White Mountain Brown Cliffs By Women's 8.5m/39.5 Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)Nike Ale Brown Leather Juvenate Sneakers Size US 9 Regular (M, B)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Gianni Bini Multi Color Women's Sandals 8.5m/39 Slingback Plat Wedges Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)adidas X Yeezy Pirate Black 350 Boost 2016 Sneakers Size US 11
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Juicy Couture Black Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Tahari Black Felix Leather Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Wide (C, D)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Bakers Platforms Size US 10Sam Edelman Black and Gold Frances Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nike Black and White Sneakers Size US 9.5
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Lauren Ralph Lauren Houndstooth Rossalyn Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nine West Royal Blue Feelngood Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Sperry Tan Flats Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Red Nubuck Rubber Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Sam Edelman Blac Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Matisse Distressed Black Rumor Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Beige Sandals Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)Naturalizer Gold Impulse Formal Shoes Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Antonio Melani Silver Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Lucky Brand Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given