Repost of an Prada Grey Boots/Booties Size US 9 Narrow (Aa, N) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Fiorentini + Baker Black Leather Buckles Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Philipp Plein Black Limited Edition Runway Studded Hi-top Sneaker Boots Sneakers Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)YEEZY Black 2 Sneakers Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Minnetonka Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Pink Satin and Crystal Embellishment Limited Edition Peep Pumps Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)Givenchy Black Lock Leather Mid Calf Wedge Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Christian Louboutin Black Monicarin Platform Thigh High Over Knee Heel Lady Daf Red Sole 37 It Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)Givenchy Black Tall Shark Boots/Booties Size US 7 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Aqua Black Grey Air Presto Sneakers Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Christian Louboutin Black Guerilla 39 It Suede Spike Platform High Heel Lady Fashion Red Sole Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Tournoi Suede Knee-high Stiletto 39.5 Boots/Booties Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Christian Louboutin Black Impera 120 Pvc Lazercut Eu 37.5 Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Women's / US 8 Josef Seibel Comfort Velcro Leather Walking Shoes Brown
- Eastland Women's Debora Loafer Camel Leather Loafers
- Camper Men Shoes Beetle Leather Sneakers Trainers Fashion Shoes
- ALDO Mens Trendy Square Toe Slip On Black Leather Shoes Size 12 Euro 45
- Ths01 Men Oxfords Zapato Driving Suede Moccasin Leisure Loafer Slip On Dress Sho
- Mens Pointy Toe Casual Oxfords Patent Leather Business Nightclub Shoes Plus Size
- New Rockport Perforated Mudguard Leather Men Sneakers Sz 11
- BOC Born Concept Women's Black Leather Ankle high heel Boots Sz 8.5
- Aerosoles Ankle Boots Size 7.5 Black Leather Zip Up Chunky Heel Mule Shoes Women
- Funtasma by Pleaser Womens Flat- Select SZ/Color.
- SUPER SEXY! VIKTOR & ROLF BLACK LEATHER KNEE HEEL BOOTS SZ 37.5/ 6.5 US NICE
- GUESS!! GERRIE BROWN SUEDE ANKLE BOOTIES SIZE 10 NEW IN BOX
- adidas Originals PW Tennis Hu / PK Pharrell Williams Mens Lifestyle Shoes Pick 1
- Gentleman/Lady alexander mcqueen sneakers men Guarantee quality and quantity Wholesale trade various kinds
- Nike Lunar Force 1 Reflect Dark Sea Reflect Silver Men's SZ 10.5 NEW 616774-300
- New Sperry Topsider Sandals flip flops Brown Leather Thong sz 9 M
- Women's Size 37 (6.5) Brown Leather Dansko Clogs Professional Closed Back Shoes
- New Balance Mens Mxcr900h Yellow/Black Running Shoes Size 9 (310292)
- Nike Blazer Studio Italian Leather Mid 880870-400 New Genuine USA Men's Size 10
- MENS VTG ABILENE 6518 BLACK LEATHER COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS SZ 10D 10 D
- Cole Haan Leather Boots men's Sz 10
- New Andrew Marc Moore Suede Buckle Moto Boots men's size 11
- Men's Fila Boot Resolute WT 1SH40055-001 Triple Black Size 6.5-13 Brand New
- Genuine British Military Issue Officers George Boots Black Leather Ceremonial RS
- Ariat Mens Black Leather Western Boots Size 11.5D
- Dunham Fitsync Casual Slip On Shoes - Men's Size 10.5 4E, Tan NEW IN BOX
- Old Gringo Lucky Boots/Booties Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- ALAÏA Silver Flat Bombe Sandals Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Jeffrey Campbell Black & Yellow Find Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- NIB MEN’S NIKE AIR INTEGRATE WHITE/GOLD/BLACK BASKETBALL SHOES 80$
- NEW Cole Haan Gunnison II Black Croc Emb Leather String Loafers Shoes 11 NWB
- PUMA Women's Fierce Knit Cross-Trainer Shoe
- NEW Nike Zoom Evidence Game Men Basketball Shoes Sneakers Black Sz 10M $90
- Scarpe ADIDAS Donna BIANCO Pelle naturale BY2126
- **Authentic** Nike Flex Contact Womens Running Shoes (B) (001)
- Diesel Kimura Sport Black/Gray Leather/Suede Sneakers Size: 7/37
- Ladies Pointed Shoes Synthetic Leather High Heels Zip Up Knee Boots US Size b082
- Nike Air Max Tailwind 8 Men's Running Shoes 805941004 Black/Sail-Racer Blue-Volt
- Nike SB Stefan Janoski Premium QS "TIE DYE" White Royal Blue 678472 104 SZ 10.5
- Cow Leather Winter Women Ankle Pointed Toe Rubber Footwear Fur Med Heels Boot
- Gentlemen/Ladies Spring Step Women’s Esbella Booties online sale Cheaper than the price Vintage tide shoes
- Just Fab "Rory" Women Black Slip On Shoes Size 7.5
- Man/Woman Aerosoles Women's You Betcha Slip-on Loafer durable buy Recommended today
- Men's/Women's Bernie Mev Women Cuddly FlatsNavy37 excellent quality Online Preferential price
- AGL Jinny Golden Animal Print Leather Cap Toe Ballerina Flat
- Womens Creepers Leather Breathable Rhinestones Low Heels Sneakers Sports Shoes
- Women’s Kelsie Dagger Fabricea Neon Pink Flats Shoes Size 10
- Women Shoes Skechers Memory Foam Air Cooled Roses Print US 10 EUC
- Nike Women’s Air Max 1 SE OLYMPIC GOLD White Black MultiColor Grey OREO Sz 6.5
- Men/Women Azura Women's Bernat Bootie durability Excellent performance Excellent workmanship
- Propet Tour Walker Diabetic Shoes Women's Size 8.5M Double Strap Medicare A5500
- Merrell Encore Black Suede Upper Women's Shearling Lined Clogs Size 8 US 38 EUR
- 650$ Tod's Ferrari Black Fondo Sport Sneakers Size US 10 Made In Italy
- Vogue Breathable Mens Shoes Slip On Summer Canvas Low Top Leisure flag Sneakers
- Men Brogune Pointed Toe Slip On Loafers Casual Shoes Platform Hidden Heel Work
- Vans Mens Half Cab Snake Blanc De Blanc White Skate Shoes Size 12 VN0A348EOIG
- Stacy Adams Cyrus Black Moc Toe Bit Leather Lined Summer Loafer Size 12
- Maine Woods Vintage embroidered design Leather Black Ankle Boots Size 7 M
- White Mountain Lacona Slouch Harness Boots 316, Black, 7.5 US
- PRIALPAS Leather Knee High Riding Boots Womens 40/9.5 Brown Bronze Made ITALY
- Teva W WANDER CHUKKA-W Womens Wander Canvas Chukka Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- NWT Women's Jennifer Lopez Madeira High Heel Ankle Boots Choose Size White
- DS NIKE 2003 DUNK LOW MAPLE 6 SAFARI MAX DUNK 1 90 95 FORCE DUNK ZOOM SB PRO B
- Klogs Arbor Mens Leather Professional Clog Mahogany Smooth - 10 Wide
- Jambu Gerald Bungee Sneaker - Men's Size 12M, Tobacco Nubuck/Stretch Air Mesh
- Keen Mens 8M Newport H2 Mens Trail Sport Sandals Blue Gray Waterproof $100
Lucky Brand Multi - Leopard Lk-basel Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Christian Louboutin Black Guerilla Leather Metal Silver Spikes Open Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Jimmy Choo Suede with Crystal The Tartini Formal Shoes Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Taupe Sempre Monica Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
EMU Tan Bronte Hi Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Christian Louboutin Black New Snakilta Spike Ankle Lady Fashion High Heel Toe Red Sole Zip Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Givenchy Black Leather Over The Knee Narlia Boots/Booties Size US 7when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Black Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, 2016 Azzedine Alaia Bombe Suede Rose Pink Nude Studded Sandal 38.5 Heel 110Vince Camuto Warm Brown Studded Leather Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Stuart Weitzman X Mules/Slides Size US 4 Wide (C, D)Joie Grey Soft Leather with 3.5" Stacked Heel Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Vince Camuto Silver Sole Wear Light Insole Wear. Good Previously Worn Condition Flats Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Donald J. Pliner Black Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Cole Haan Brown Leather Mules/Slides Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Brian Atwood Black Fontanne Pumps Size US 5 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Air Jordan Black Yellow Retro Sneakers Size US 6
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Stuart Weitzman Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Pierre Hardy Black Pumps Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Ralph Lauren Black Holleen Nappa Braided New In Box Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nina Formal Shoes Size US 10 Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nine West Grey Daniol1 Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Vaneli Hot Pink X Wedges Size US 4 Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Tahari Brown Patent Leather Leopard Print Senora Pumps Size US 6.5BCBGMAXAZRIA Brown Abell Wedges Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Steve Madden Blush Ecentrcq Flats Size US 6 Wide (C, D)Sam Edelman Alba Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given