Repost of an Size 10 Womens (=Men's 8.5) NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ LEATHER Silver 807471 015 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Air Max 90 Womens Unreleased Sample AA0515 003 Size 7 Blue Rare
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.WMNS NIKE FLYKNIT ROSHERUN ID PINK-VIOLET SZ 12/ MENS SZ 10.5 [777415-991]Nike Air Max Sequent 3 Womens 9 Pure Platinum Racer Pink Trainer Sneaker Unworn
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Air Max Zero iD Black SZ US 7.5 /// Womens SZ 9 ( 853860-901 )
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.NIKE AIR MAX 1 ID WHITE/SPORT RED-COOL GREY SIZE WOMEN'S 6 [823375-994]Nike Air Max 90 Womens Wolf Grey/White/Dark Grey Running Shoes Sz 7(Authentic) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.NIKE WOMENS AIR FORCE 1 FLYKNIT AF1 TOTAL CRIMSON TEAM RED 818018 800 SZ 6NIKE Women's Free RN 2017 Running Shoe Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Dunk Sky Hi 2.0 Breathe Hidden Wedge Sz 12
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NEW Nike Women’s Air Force 1 '07 Mid Suede Black Grey 807448 001NEW Size 10.5 Nike Volley Zoom Hyperspike Women's Volleyball shoes 585763-001Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike Air More Money LX W Size 6
- Dansko Maryjane Clogs Vegan Canvas Beige Tan Women’s US 6
- Drew Women's Elite Brown/Sport White Nubuck Sneakers
- Mens PRADA Brown Leather Sneakers Shoes Size 10
- Mens Leisure Slip On Loafers Embroidery Floral Moccasins Wedding Shoes Flats New
- Men's Flat Sandals Loafers Slip On Round Toe Dress Party Sequins Casual Shoes
- Mens Males Dandy Loafer Fashion Sneakers Casual Slip-on Shoes Black CS-PTS_mC
- Dockers Landon Stain Defender Brown Leather Casual Shoes size 8-12
- Nine West Glitter Women's Black Leather Squared Toe Knee High Boots US Size 7 M
- NATURE BREEZE LEOPARD ANIMAL PRINT SUPER SUEDE BOOTS THIGH HI BOOTS - SIZE 7.5
- SO Gluestick Women's Boots size 8.5 8 1/2 NEW NIB Shoes Buckle BLACK
- Mr/Ms - Shoes Beige 38 Fine workmanship online shop Global sales
- SOL SANA Women's Mason Boots Size 37 Brand New Leather Suede
- Invicta Mens Pro Diver Quartz Stainless Steel Diving Watch, Color:Silver-Toned
- Cole Haan Men's Vartan Sport Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Mizuno casual sneakers WAVE RIDER 1 D1GA1826 gray Free shipping
- Air Jordan Superfly Team Slide Sandal Cement Grey Black Sz 10 716985-014
- Hush Puppies Womens Epic Slip-On Loafer- Pick SZ/Color.
- 2007 Mens Nike Air 82 AF-1 Blue Purple Sneakers 13 Medium
- Mens High Top Canvas Denim Sneakers Flats Casual Sport Athletic Stud Shoes 2018
- The Florsheim Shoe Leather Boots Side Zipper 569952 Size 9.5B
- Grafters Original 60s Monkey Boots Mens Womens Black Red Shoes Size
- Men's Aspen Brown Thermolite Waterproof Brown size 12 Shoes Leather Upper
- Caterpillar Outline Work Boots-Men's sz 11.5 M Brown
- Dr. Martens Men's Icon Industrial Strength Steel Toe Boot Black Size US 8 Z173
- Skechers USA Mens Walson Dolen Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.
- Gentlemen/Ladies LACOSTE LT Fit 118 Blanc Aesthetic appearance modern Reliable reputation
- Christian Louboutin Pink Pigalle Follies 100 Shocking Glitter Heel Pumps Size EU 35 (Approx. US 5) Regular (M, B)
- J.Crew Silver Glitter Lula Ballet Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Steve Madden Blush Nude / Beige Patent 'valeri' Mary Jane Heels Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Jordan Future Sz 12
- Santoni Made in Italy 'Striper 2' Brown Perforated Leather Fashion Sneaker 9 D
- Adidas DF24 carbon 2017-18 field hockey stick 36.5" BEST OFFER
- Nike Men's Flex Exprnc Run Shoes 749173-001-11E Blk/Anth/Wht/Gry Sz 11
- 1803 adidas Pureboost X Element Women's Training Running Shoes BB6084
- Womens NIKE ZOOM ALL OUT LOW 2 Midnight Fog Trainers AJ0036 002
- Womens Girl Sweet Bowknot Hidden Heel Ankle Boots Pull On Round Toe Casual Shoes
- Womens Pointed Toe Patent Leather Stilettos Over The Knee Boots Zipper Plus Sz
- S75582 Tubular Viral Women Running Shoes Sneakers Grey White Hit
- New Size 9.5 Nike Air Max LD-Zero 848624-004 Pure Platinum
- Pleated Leather Womens Pointy Toe Back Zipped Block Heeled Ankle Boots Formal SZ
- Hunter Original Short Wellies Black Womens Rainboots
- Lady Rebel by Durango Women's Waterproof Pull-On Western Boot
- SAS Genuine Handsewn Black Leather Moc Tassel Wedge Loafer Women's US 8.5N
- J Crew Harper Black Patent Leather Flats Size 5 $138 Style B1791 NWOB
- Sesto Meucci Black Brown Leather Shoes Loafers Flats Slip On 9.5 S N Square Toe
- MOT-CLe 932 Gold / Rose Gold Leather Elastic Wedge Fashion Sneakers 36 / US 6
- Tory Burch Benton Ballet Leather Shoes in Sea Shell Pink Gold Logo Size 8.5 $248
- Women's NIKE AIR MAX 2014 ID GREY Size 9 [641425-991]
- NIKE WOMAN AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 FLYKNIT SIZE 7.5 WHITE PLATINUM NEW COMFORTABLE
- Nike Air Max 90 PREM Wmn Shoes Size 8 443817-002 Black/Black
- Bolo Clogs Womens 8 US 39 Navy Blue Alligator Print Textured Slip On Shoes *B38
- ECCO Women’s Sz 40/ 9-9.5 Nursing Clogs Brown Leather White Rubber Soles ??
- New Prada Men's Black Shoes Oxfords Calzature Uomo Size 12 Saffiano Dress
- 2017 New Fashion Men's Casual High Top Sport Sneakers Athletic Running Shoes
- Mens fashion Driving Moccasins Fringes studded Rivet Camo Pull On Casual Shoes 9
- Johnston & Murphy Driving Loafer Men Size 10 M Brown Slip On Moc Toe Shoe Brazil
- BLACKSTONE CM03~ MENS BLACK CAP TOE OXFORDS~ 42 / 9- 9.5 US
- Cathy Jean Brown Zip Cheetah Texture Women's Ankle Boots Size 8m Wedge 6 in heel
- Women Boots Kitten Heels Style Fashion Mid Calf Slouch Faux Leather Cross Design
- L Fashion Womens Casual Suede Wedge Heels Ankle Shoes Conceal Wedge Heels Bootie
- Hunter Glossy used gray boots TALL size 9
- Lucky Brand Women's Harleen Over-The-Knee Wide Calf Boot (1135) Brindle Size 7M
- NIKE Men's Shoes 442432 White 27ｃｍ
- Prada Mens Black Leather Sport Loafers / Driving Sneakers Size 8 US / 7 EU
- Luxury leather sneakers men embroidery bee design size 12
- Man/Woman Reef Rover (Black) Men's Sandals Complete specification range Beautiful Seasonal hot sale
Nike Air Max 270 Flyknit Women's Shoes Size 8.5 Crimson Pulse AH6803 800
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Air Max 1-100 (Size 9.5 W) Brand Newthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Size 7 Women’s Nike Air Max 90 LX Black Tan Pony Hair Casual ShoesNike Womens Air Huarache Run sneakers Print WHITE NEBULA PINK US 7.5 AQ0551-100.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike Flyknit Racer Triple Black Men Sz 6 Women’s 7.5 Multicolor Vapor Max Silver
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. NIKE Womens Air Huarache Run PRM TXT Metallic Mahogany White AA0523-202 Size 6.5After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, NIKE WILD TRAIL WOMEN'S SIZE 11 NEW IN BOX 643074 001when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA WOMEN SIZE 9.5 NEW W/O BOX!!!!
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike WOMEN'S Lunarepic Flyknit Laser Orange/Bright Citrus SIZE 7 BRAND NEWNike Womens HyperVenom FG Phelon 2013 Soccer SHOES New Red / Charcoalspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.W Nike Air Skylon ii Size 6.5 AO4540 101860544400 NIKE AIR FORCE 1 HI SE BINARY BLUE WHITE WOMENS SNEAKER SIZE 9.5
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Breathe Polarized Blue 917523-400 Women’s 8 NewNike Air Huarache Run PRM Women's Running Shoe 683818 009 Size 5.5They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,NIKE WOMAN DUAL FUSION RUN 2 WOLF GREY SIZE 6.5 NEW RUNNINGNike LunarTempo Women Size 11.5/Men 10 NEED FUNDS.run.jordan.yeezy.black tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
nike Women's Air FORCE 1 HI LX TX ORANGE WOMENS SHOE SIZES BQ7925-800
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Black Air Max Siren Women Sneaker Size 10.5 3036and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, NEW NIKE PRESTO FLY WOMENS SHOES ULTRA LIGHT SNEAKERS WHITE GRAPE sizes 6 - 10dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Women’s Nike Free 5.0 DB Sz 6.5 Doernbecher 100%Authentic Blue Lagoon 728651-400
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit 881109 002 White Women SZ 10.5 NEWThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Women's Air Huarache Run SE BinaryBlue 859429-401counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike Wmns SF AF1 High Special Field Air Force 1 Hi Women Sneaker Boots Pick 1 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.860544003 NIKE AIR FORCE 1 HI SE BLACK DARK GREY WOMENS SNEAKER SIZE 11Nike Wmns Air Max Thea J Women White Metallic Gold White Sneakers AJ2010-100
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Wmns Nike Classic Cortez Leather White Black Women Shoes Sneakers 807471-101WOMEN'S SHOES SNEAKERS NIKE WMNS CLASSIC CORTEZ NYLON [749864 607]
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given