Repost of an NEW NIKE FREE TR 8 ATHLETIC SHOES SNEAKERS WOMEN WHITE GREY PLATINUM RICE 5 - 11 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Women’s Air Max 90 LX Particle Rose Velvet Size 8 (898512 600)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Rivah Premium Women’s Running Shoes Size 7 USWmns Nike Free TR 7 VII Rust Pink White Women Training Trainers 904651-604
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Air Max 2017 849560-402 Concord Violet Running Shoes Women's Size 7.5
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Wmns Nike Air Zoom Structure 20 Black Grey Womens Running Shoes 849577-003Nike Wmns Air Max Thea J Women White Metallic Gold White Sneakers AJ2010-100 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike Huarache Grey size 6.5 Ywmns nike hyperdunks 2016 tb 10.5 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
NIKE WOMENS SF AF1 AIR FORCE 1 MID BLACK GUM BROWN FIELD BOOT AA3966 002 SZ 8.5
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Womens NIKE ZOOM VOMERO 9 Blue Graphite Running Trainers 642196 401Nike WMNS Air Max 90 Premium women lifestyle sneakers NEW mica blue 896497-400Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.NIKE WMNS SF AF1 HI AIR FORCE 1 BOOTS SHOES BLACK GUM AA3965 001 US 6.5
- RIEKER DORIS 85 BRONZE 41385 SLIP-ON ANTI-STRESS LOAFER WOMEN'S 40 / 9 - 9.5
- Alegria Women's Kayla Clog Black Nappa 38 EU/8-8.5 M US
- NIB ECCO BIOM GRIP MENS SHOES CREEK SLIP-ON~7-7.5~GREY~AWESOME SHOE'S
- Church'S Fairfield Last81 Wing Chip Suede Shoes 026,403 Copper (40118
- Mens PU Ostrich Leather Buckle Slip On Snake Smart Formal Italian Design Shoes
- SKECHERS Men's 64260/BLK SEGMENT RILAR Black Size 11
- Dr MARTENS Casual Work Ankle Boots Size 8 US/7UK Men Made in ENGLAND
- Calvin Klein Aubrey Color Block Suede Ankle Zip Boot Purple Orange Brown 6
- Born black leather tall boots sz 7 riding low heel buckles zipper
- Womens Size 7STUART WEITZMAN Littleneck Black Suede Bootie Shoes
- Demonia Huge 3" Vegan Lavender Bat Wing Creepers Punk Goth Mod Womens 6-11
- J Crew Dix Tab women's 8.5m flat Leather Ankle Boots brown Chestnut
- Royal Elastics Icon Z 1802 Black White Men Shoes Sneakers Slip-On 02981-989
- Danner Acadia 200G GTX Tactical Ops Military MADE USA Mens Boots 7 sku7
- HOGAN MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW INTERACTIVE BEIGE 9B5
- Crocs Crocband Clogs - Cerulean Blue / Oyster - Croslite
- Cole Haan Womens Valeriesam Closed Toe Boat Shoes Tangerine Size 6.0
- Fila Ez Slide Skel-e-Toes Men's Sz 12M Blue (tu28)
- Puma Street Jump Lo L black/navy US 10 avec boite / boxed
- MENS BLACK LEATHER BIKER / MOTORCYCLE ENGINEER HARNESS BOOTS SZ 8M
- Dan Post USA Mens Sz 8 Black Leather Western Cowboy Riding Work Biker Boots
- Safetoe Safety Shoes Mens Work Boots Breathable Leather Steel Toe US Size 5 - 13
- MENS ADDISON SHOE COMPANY VIBRAM BLACK LEATHER STEEL TOE COMBAT BOOTS Size 8R
- Mongrel Work Boots Runners Zip Side Non Safety Non Steel Toe 961050 BEST SELLERS
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star OX Mens 1J794C Charcoal Canvas Shoes Size 5
- NEW Lacoste Carnaby Evo 416 1 CAM 7-32CAM0022C21 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SA
- Christian Louboutin Pigalle Follies Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Tod's Navy Suede Gommino Moccasins Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Talbots Pink Geranium Suede Genuine Leather Ballet B Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men’s Kobe Mamba Rage Size 9.5 908972-100
- R - Men's LANVIN 'Nappa' Navy Blue Leather / Suede Sneakers US 9
- Shoes Puma Suede Classic + Colored 360584 03 Woman Blue Special Edition
- Nike Air Zoom All Out Low Running 2017 Sz 9.5
- New adidas WMNS Pure Boost X Trainer 2 Women Training Shoe Grey SZ 7 (BB3286)
- Nike Juvenate Prm Running Women's Shoes Size
- Pin Up Couture Women's Siren 03 Slide Baby Pink/Teal Faux Leather
- NEW MINNETONKA SUEDED LINED BOOTS WOMENS 6 FAIRMONT TAN CHESTNUT SHEEPSKIN 86011
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Essential Cobblestone Men Shoes 875695-010 Size 8-13
- Adidas BB7006 Women Duramo 9 Running shoes grey Sneakers
- Pleaser Pink Label EVE-208 Concealed Platform Knee Boot Size 9-16
- Demonia MUERTO-900 1026 2028 Womens Platform Boots
- Corral Women's Studded Harness Cowgirl Boot - Snip Toe - A3073
- LILLY PULITZER Quilted Patent Leather Ballet Flats. Size 8 1/2 M
- TOD’s Black Patent Leather Flats - Size 5 1/2
- JEFFREY CAMPBELL Black Beaded BELANGER 2 Pointed Toe Flats Shoes - Size 9
- Jeffrey Campbell “Kirby” Oxford 6M New
- **Comfortable** FINN COMFORT 10 US women's Black,Leather-MINT, -W-04
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Black/White-Dark Grey 880560-001 Women's SZ 5
- Puma Pearl Cage Graph Mid Sophia Webster Womens Blue Athletic Training Shoes 10
- Dansko Women's Marietta Mid Calf Boot Black Burnished Nubuck Comfort Shoes
- Gentlemen/Ladies DANSKO Oxford Clogs Shoes Women's Charming design Quality First The first batch of customers' comprehensive specifications
- New Nine West Womens 25024219 Off White/Multi Flats Size 10
- Maison Martin Margiela GATs High Blush Pink Sneakers Size 41.5 42 43 43.5
- Jo Ghost 841 Italian Whisky colour leather ankle boots with decorative stitching
- Men's Sperry Top-Sider Boat Shoes Sneakers Size 10M Brown Orange Leather Moc T7
- New $100 VADO Men"s High Top Shoes Sneakers LEATHER Narrow Size 7 USA/40 EURO
- KENNETH COLE REACTION ( US MEN 7-M ) NEW FOR MEN
- Ladies Spot On Heeled Ankle Boots Label F50332
- Regence Canada Womens Leather Boots Zip Knee High Riding Boots Canada Size 8
- New Natural Soul by Naturalizer 'Variant' Black Knee-High Riding Boots Wide Calf
- HUNTER Original Purple Gloss Short Rubber Rain Wellies Boots Size US 4M / UK
- NEW "Carmella" Nappa Leather Boots Wedge Heel- Size 40 -RRP$229 -Made in Spain
- Rockport Men's RocSports Lite ActivFlex Slip On Dark Brown 8.5 W (EE)-8.5 W
- NIB $1,195 Christian Louboutin Gareth Zip Flat Oxford Shoes 46.5
- Puma Suede Classic + "Vintage Khaki" New (12 US) Limited Max blaze Air disc
- Gentleman/Lady Crocs Modi Sport Slide - White/Navy/Pepper fashion low cost Amoy
AUTHENTIC Nike Dualtone Racer Woven Barley Green Jungle Rush Coral Women size
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Wmns Air Huarache Run women lifestyle kicks NEW vast grey rose 634835-029the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike WMNS Air Max 90 Premium women lifestyle sneakers NEW light bone 896497-001Wmns Nike Flex 2017 RN Run Grey Black Women Running Shoes Sneakers 898476-002.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
NIKE FREE 5.0 TR FIT 5 Womens (Cool Grey / White / Volt) Crossfit [704695-004]
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Air Max 1 GS Grey White Pink Kid Youth Women Running Shoes 807605-007After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN MID PRM BLACK 807314-002 Womens Size 7/7.5/8/8.5/9when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nike Wmns Blazer Low Classic Women Shoes Sneakers Size 9 [AA3961 104]
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike Wmns Renew Rival Aviator Grey White Women Running Shoes Sneakers AA7411-005Nike W Lunar Exceed TR MTLC Black/Metallic Silver Running Training 921718-001specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Womens NIKE AIR ZOOM FITNESS Bordeaux Training Trainers 904645 600NEW NIKE FREE 4.0 FLYKNIT wmn USszs: 5.5; 6.5 run shoe "BLUE Lagoon" 717076-400
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Blazer mid Vintage Sneaker Women's Shoes Blue Sneakers Leisure 539929-411RARE Colorway Purple Nike Greco Supreme Wrestling Shoes Size 8.5They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike Wmns Zoom Winflo 5 Newsprint/Summit White Sportstyle Running AA7414-004Sneakers Nike Air Max 95 Ultra WMNS 6US tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
AUTHENTIC Nike Free RN 2018 Wild Suede Yellow Ochre Grey University Women size
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Womens NIKE AIR MAX ADVANTAGE Elemental Rose Trainers 908991 600and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Womens NIKE LUNARCONVERGE Purple Earth Trainers 852469 500dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike Metcon 3 Training 849807-003 MULTI Womens Size 9 1/2
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Nike Air Max 1 Ultra Flyknit trainers shoes 843387 301 eu 38 us 7 NEW+BOXThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Womens NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN PRINT Obsidian Trainers 725076 401counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike Wmns Air Max Essential Ladies Shoes White Shoes Gym Shoe New 624725-105 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.NIKE WMNS AIR VAPORMAX FLYKNIT MOC 2 AJ6599-003 GUNSOME BLACKENED BLUE GREYNIKE ZOOM ALL OUT FLYKNIT "COOL GREY" wmn USszs: 6; 7; 8 Running Shoe 845361-002
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Women's Nike Zoom Fly Size 7 Provence Purple Black 897821-516 running shoesWmns Nike Free RN Motion Flyknit Blue Black Wmns 7.5 Running Trainers 834585-401
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given