Repost of an Nike Women's Air Max Motion Lw Print Black/White Running Shoes size 8.5 844890 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Air Max Zero Premium Light Orewood Brown 903837-100 Women Size 7.5
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nike Air Max Thea Women's Shoes Size 8.5!Nike Air Huarache Women's Port Wine/Taupe Grey/Port/Summit White 34835609
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Nike Air Max 90 Essential Wmns Sz 7 Pure Platinum/Red/Total Crimson 616730-028
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Wmns Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Sz 8 Black/White/Grey 880560-001NIKE DUAL FUSION TR TURQUOISE WOMAN SIZE 7.0 RUNNING NEW LIGHT FASHIONABLE STYLE History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Nike Run Natural sz 8 women’s shoesNike Zoom Shift Women's University Red/White/Black 17731601 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Free RN 2017 Women Running Shoes Glacier Blue/Silver 880840-402 MM1 Size 10
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NIKE Womens Orive NM Black White Sneakers NEW IN BOX Sz 10Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra Women's Cool Grey/Anthracite/Black/White 19151007Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike Wmns Classic Cortez Leather Triple White Women Shoes Sneakers 807471-102
- Women’s Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit Size-9.5 “Glacier Blue” Platinum (849557 014)
- Fabulicious Women's Chic 26 Black Velvet/Satin/Black Matte Party Shoes
- Armani Jeans Trainers AM506/13 Shoes Men Size 11.5 gray black white yellow
- Gentleman/Lady BLACK SHOES MEN'S SIZE 13 Many varieties New design unique
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Camo House Blend Casual Shoes Sneakers Men's Size 8.5
- Propet Landon Sneaker - Men's Size 10H (3E) - Brown
- Men's Cole Haan Black Leather Penny Loafers US 8.5 M
- Amanda Smith Beige Brown Jeans Print Stretch Fabric Bardo Heels Boots 6.5M BN1
- VANS Womens Reily Beige Suede Leather Faux Fur Trim Boots Sz US 10
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Miles Ankle Boots 259, Black, 10 US / 40 EU
- Hot Women England Round Toe Winter Fashion Flats Lacu Up High Top Ankle Boots
- Salomon X Alp Mid LTR GTX Women's Black/Nightshade Hiking Boot 6M
- rhinestone slip on runway loafers fashion casual leisure british style red rivet
- Hugo BOSS Men's Lighter_Lowp_Mxme Fashion Sneakers Shoes 50370438 005 Black Red
- $230 OVATTO Brown Black Leather Ankle Boots Sneakers Men Shoes NEW COLLECTION
- Reef Cushion Bounce Phantom Black RF0A3FDIBLA Men's Flip Flop
- Frye Gemma Brown Womens Shoes Size 6.5 M Flats MSRP $228
- Nike Lunarglide 5 Mens Size 10.5 Blue Athletic Running Shies
- Fila Mens Sable 2 Cross-Trainer-Shoes 10- Pick SZ/Color.
- Decor Mens Side zip High top Buckle Chunky Block heel shoes Ruched Mid calf boot
- G.H.BASS BILLY MEN'S BLACK WING TIP LEATHER BOOTS SIZE 10 US,
- Bota Trabajo Establo Piel Grasso Shedron/Negro ID 121782
- Winter Snow Boots Waterproof Mid Calf Boots Fishing Outdoor Man Skidproof Shoes
- Bota Trabajo S/ Casco El General Crazy Arena ID 91670
- Merrell Brevard Chukka Boots, Men's Size 10, Shetland
- Mason Chukka Leather All Purpose Men's Casual Boots Size 10 New in Box NOS
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Cutout Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Devi Kroell Gold Snakeskin Knee High Flat Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Sandals Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- 2010 Nike Air Max Uptempo 97 - Size 11 - Nike Shoe - Black - Red - Bred Pippen
- BOSS HUGO BOSS Lighter Lowp Air In 030 Medium Grey
- Gentlemen/Ladies: ADIDAS ULTRA BOOST UNCAGED: Massive new
- Nike Zoom HyperRev Black Red Basketball Sneakers 630913~001 Men's Shoes Sz 8.5
- Adidas Originals Superstar Amplio Mujer Blanco
- NIKE ZOOM TERRA SERTIG BOOT Women's SZ 8 ACG 2017 916812-002
- Boykin Spaniel Dog Print Slip Ons For Women-Express Shipping
- Jack Rogers Women's Deborah Smooth Ankle Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- MENS NIKE JORDAN MELO M9 BLACKLIGHT PURPLE / ELECTRIC GREEN / BLACK SIZE 10.5
- NIKE SB DUNK MID PRO "LEWIS MARNELL” CAPPUCCINO-BRONZE-WHEAT SZ 12 AJ1445-200
- Pleated Leather Womens Pointy Toe Back Zipped Block Heeled Ankle Boots Formal SZ
- Hunter Original Short Wellies Black Womens Rainboots
- Lady Rebel by Durango Women's Waterproof Pull-On Western Boot
- SAS Genuine Handsewn Black Leather Moc Tassel Wedge Loafer Women's US 8.5N
- J Crew Harper Black Patent Leather Flats Size 5 $138 Style B1791 NWOB
- Sesto Meucci Black Brown Leather Shoes Loafers Flats Slip On 9.5 S N Square Toe
- MOT-CLe 932 Gold / Rose Gold Leather Elastic Wedge Fashion Sneakers 36 / US 6
- Tory Burch Benton Ballet Leather Shoes in Sea Shell Pink Gold Logo Size 8.5 $248
- Adidas Pure Boost X Red Pink Womens Running Training Jogging Sports Shoes AQ3399
- Clarks Women's Adriel Viola Pump Dusty Pink Patent Pumps
- Saucony Women's Redeemer Iso 2 Running Shoe
- Dr. Scholl's Womens Everett Black Leather Loafers Size 7 (24055)
- Aravon Women's Portia Mary Jane Black Multi Leather Comfort Shoes
- TAN LEATHER BLUE SUEDE SINGLE STRAP MONK BY BRUNE (NGS-246)
- Cole Haan USA Burgundy Leather Kilt Tassel Casual Loafer Shoes Men's Size 11 D
- CLAE Mills Manta Ray Pavement Mens Shoes
- Ecco Slip on Men Loafers Size 42
- Skechers USA Mens Pedley Aster Ankle Bootie- Select SZ/Color.
- Black Leather Lands End Boots Size 6
- Vince Camuto Marcin Ankle Harness boots Gray leather studs Sz 5.5 GUC
- skechers Boots Size 8 women's Australia tweed style fabric
- Lakota Bootie, Brand new in box Black 8.5
- Ivanka Trump Overland Women Knee High Boot (6.5M, Black Multi)
- Men's/Women's Rockport Men's Colben Oxford- Black-15 W Many styles Bright colors cheap price
- Faahion Tassels Men's Loafers Driving Slip On Shoes Suede Leather Casual Comfort
- Tommy Hilfiger AM NASONI White Multi Genuine Leather Sneaker Shoes -$0 Free Ship
- NEW TEVA ORIGINAL UNIVERSAL STRAPPY TIE SANDALS MENS 12 CAMO SUEDE FREE SHIP
Wmns Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 Sz 8.5 Wolf Grey/White 831356-004 FREE SHIPPING
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Court Force Hi Premium Madeira/Madeira-Black Cheetah 317072-221 SZ 10.5the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike LunarGlide 8 Women's Black/Anthracite/White 43726001Nike Court Force Hi Premium Madeira/Madeira-Black Cheetah 317072-221 SZ 8.5.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike EXP-X14 Women's Shoes (Women’s Size 7)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Wmns Air Max Guile Cobblestone Sail Ivory Women Running Shoes 916787-001After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Nike Wmns Lunar Apparent Blue White Women Running Shoes Sneakers 908998-404when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
WMNS Nike Lunar Empress 2 Wolf Grey Size 8.5
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike Air Max Jewell Premium Velvet - Women's Black/Black 04576005Nike Air Jordan XXXII Low GS BG GG 32 Women Youth Kids Basketball Shoes Pick 1specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Nike WMNS Air Huarache Run Premium women lifestyle sneakers oatmeal 683818-102Nike Free RN 2018 GS Black White Kids Youth Running Shoes AH3451-003
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike Air Max Sequent 3 GS III Pure Platinum White Kids Women Running 922884-005NIKE WOMAN SPORTS SNEAKER SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME CODE 724979 WMNS NIKE JUVENATEThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike WMNS Free Focus Flyknit 2 Size 9 US Purple Women's Running ShoesNike Future Flight GS Black Crimson Kid Youth Women Basketball Shoes AH3430-001 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
NIKE FREE VIRITOUS WOMEN'S PERFORMANCE RUNNING SHOES BLACK PLATINUM 725060 001
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Flex Experience RN 6 Womens Running Shoe (B) (008) | BUY NOW!and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Womens NIKE LunarTempo 2 WVT 'Athens' Running Trainers 845533 814dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Women’s Nike Free trainer 7 premium Size 8 brand new, 924592-200
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. NIKE AIR MAX THEA UK SIZE 5 5.5 6 7 WOMENS SPORTS RUNNING SHOES TRAINERS GREENThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Women's Zoom WINFLO 4 Running Shoes (898485-001) Trainers Runnerscounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,NIKE WOMAN SPORTS SNEAKER SHOES SYNTHETIC WMNS NIKE FREE VIRITOUS 725060 100 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Bona Fide Nike Tanjun Womens Fit Running Shoes (B) (403)NEW Nike Roshe Two BR 896445-002 Womens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Brand New 812655-011 NIKE WOMENS AIR MAX TANJUN BLACK Shoes SneakersNIKE Internationalist Taupe Pink 828407-205
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given