Repost of an Nike Flex Trainer 7 Womens Crosstrainer Shoe (B) (001) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
NIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA SZ 5 BLACK WHITE 819151 005
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.NIKE AIR MAX 95 SE PREMIUM 'PORT WINE' UK4 EU37.5 US6.5 SPACE BLUE AH8697 400Jordan 1 Flight 2 GS GG Black Gold Juniors Womens Boys Girls Trainers 631788 070
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Women's Nike Air Max Thea Running Shoes 599409-108
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Air Max 90 Prem womens trainers 443817 009 eu 37.5 us 6.5 NEW+BOXNEW Nike Roshe Two BR 896445-002 Womens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.NIKE JORDAN FLY 89 BLACK/WHITE BLACKBona Fide Nike Downshifter 7 Womens Fit Trainer Shoe (B) (006) Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
New Women's Nike Air Max 1 NS - Size 7 - Off White/Hyper Violet - 844982-101
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Nike Zoom Pegasus 34 GS 881953 601 Juniors Womens Running Shoes Red SneakersNike Womens Air Max 95 WQS Size 6.5 Fiberglass Satin 919491 301 Gum YellowAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike Womens Blazer Mid Suede Vintage SIZE 9 USA 586304-700 NEW DS
- AIR JORDAN 3 RETRO W "VOGUE" 2018 - ITEM NUMBER 4712-2
- Flexus by Spring Step Women's Aterie Fuchsia Nubuck Comfort Shoes
- New Keen Destin Low Ptc Mens Soft Toe Wide Fit Shoes
- Hot Men's Casual Leather Shoes Ankle Boots Breathable Cingulate High Top Sneaker
- Floats By Robert Wayne Sloop Black Mens Loafers Size 9 D
- Puma Nevoa Lite 2.0 10323902 Green Black White Brand New
- Mt. Emey Men's Diabetic Therapeutic Shoes Off White Leather Mens size 14 D
- JustFab Zane Women's Boots Black size 9
- NEW Womens Khombu Isabella Winter Boots Grey Size - Choose Size!
- Womens sz 9.5 M Sole Society Brigitte Wedge Bootie Tan Suede Leather Ankle Boots
- 36 - Vialis Unique Brown Leather Faux Fur Fold Over Ankle Boots Booties 0000MB
- Skechers Ruched Suede Wedge Boots - Parallel Universal Charcoal 9.5
- Asics Tiger Gel Lyte III 3 "Illusion" (US11) New fieg rare boost air ultra max
- AUTHENTIC! Original Bates High Gloss Military Police Shoes Dress Black 00941A
- Hugo Boss Men's C-Dresios_LTBU Dark Brown Leather Oxfords Shoes
- Mr/Ms Sanuk Men's Vagabond Brown 13 durable Brand Shopping promotion
- Fratelli Rossetti loafers, black leather, women's shoe size, US 7 $420
- Mens Fashion Shoes Breathable Mesh Athletic Lightweight Running Sneakers Black
- Men's Vans Blue/Gray Suede Hi Top Sneakers US 12
- Robert Wayne Arlo Wingtip Ankle Boots Men Size 10W Brown Leather
- FLY London Zip Ankle Boots Mens Size 41 Brown Leather Shoes Buckle
- US ARMY DESERT TAN HOT WEATHER COMBAT BOOTS SIZE 6 XN MENS / 4 XN WOMENS
- NEW Japanese Pro Guard Safety Underground Footpacks 12 24.5cm-28cm F/S
- Mason Shoe 752 West Men Round Toe Work Boot Sz 10B
- Polo Faxon Low Mens 816533932-005 Turquoise Blue Canvas Casual Shoes Size 7.5
- Skechers USA 64765 Mens Eris Sebos Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- Stuart Weitzman Black Lowland Velvet Leggylady Over The Knee Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Sorbet Blue Rockstud Block Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gold Fringe Blake 140 Chain Ankle Strap Platfrom Sandal Stiletto Heel Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid Ivory/Mars Stone 917753-100 Men's Size 9.5
- Gentleman/Lady Ted Baker Men's Umbber Oxford Long-term reputation Stylish and fun leading the fashion
- adidas Spider 2 M Men's Track and Field Athletic Shoes White Red Size 15
- NIKE SB BLAZER ZOOM LOW BLK/WHT MEN'S SHOES SZ 9.5 NEW NEVER 864347 019
- 1711 adidas Originals Zx Flux Adv Virtue Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CG4092
- Nike Womens Zoom Volley Hyperspike Volleyball Shoes - Black - Sz 8 (585763-001)
- Brooks Ghost 9 Womens Training Running Shoes Silver Blue Lime Sz 6.5 US/ 39 EU
- Retro Ladies Leather Over Knee Thigh High Boots Chunky Warm Shoes Outwear Chic
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid Black 554724-021 Basketball Shoes Men
- Adidas 10K W-Women's Sneaker Boots Black Zx Sneakers Leisure 750 New AW4932
- Sexy Pointed Toe Boots Womens Stiletto Over Knee Thigh High Heel Suede Boots ER4
- ARIAT CARTMELL H20 WATERPROOF LADIES BOOT SIZE 6 1/2 NEW IN BOX
- AUTHENTIC FIORENTINI + BAKER LEATHER DARK BROWN BUCKLE BOOTS BOOTIES SIZE 38
- Women Pointed Toe Buckle Belt Chunky Heel Slip On Loafer Pumps Shoes Plus Size
- AQUATALIA Marvin K womens black suede velcro wedge heels shoes 8
- Vince Womens Corbin Closed Toe Loafers, Navy, Size 8.0 PxAV
- Badgley Mischka Women's Bianca Ballet Flat, Ivory, 7 M US
- $280 PAUL GREEN CARMEN Bronze Loafers Shoes Womens 6.5 NEW IN BOX
- New FILA Womens Disruptor II 2 FS1HTZ3074X WHITE / PINK UNISEX SIZE TAKSE
- Merrell Women's All Out Blaze Aero Sport Hiking Water Shoe, Beige/Khaki, 8 M US
- Nike Women's Rosherun Flyknit Multicolor Blue Lagoon Pink Pow 704927 001 Sz 6
- Sanita Original Danish Royal Blue Patent Leather Closed Back Clogs Shoes Size 42
- Caterpillar Women's Freedom Pull On Oak Cinch Full Grain Leather Steel Toe
- Gentlemen/Ladies dsquared shoes men Fine processing Low price Different goods
- Chic Mens Floral Casual Shoes Driving Shoes Moccasins Low Top Loafers Slip on T9
- Dockers Leather Slip-on Loafers Mens Size 9 Basket Weave Moc Toe Brown EUC
- Mens Casual ankle short Boots suede Buckle outdoor shoes zip British plus size
- DS NEW Vans Sk8-Hi MTE Black Rosin Sz 8.5 100% Authentic Free Ship
- Women’s Leather Rocket Dog Brown Boots. Size 8 1/2 Medium.
- Frye Melissa Women's Black Leather Knee High Boots Size 7.5 B
- womens ladies fashion casual zipper knee high boots shoes white or pink size 789
- Merrell Moab Women's Bungee Cord Hiking Boot 5.5M J88790 Liege MSRP $129 NWT
- Chic Women Pointy Toe Over The Knee Stilettos Heel Boots Pull On Thigh Plus Size
- HAIX Airpower C7 US Black Leather Police service & leisure Shoes Size 8.5 m NEW
- Skechers Men's Solden Venic Oxford Navy Oxfords
- NIB Converse X Black Sabbath CT 70 Hi "Master of Reality" 143249C US Mens 6
- Mens causal Hiking strap Leather Sandals Closed Toe Fisherman Beach Shoes size
Nike Shox Women Running Shoes Size 6.5 Retro Year 2006 Very Good Condition
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Women's Freerun Running Shoes 880840-001 Marathon Knit Trainers Blackthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike Women's Air Huarache Run Running ShoeNike Women's Air Max Sequent 3 Running Shoe.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Women’s Nike Metcon 3 Amp Training Shoe Black W/White Logo Size 11 NEW
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Women's Juvenate Wolf Grey/White Wolf Grey Running Shoe 5.5 Women UsAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Women Nike Free Motion Fk 2017 SIZE 8 880846 015when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Women's Nike Air Zoom Structure 19 Running Sneakers (6) 806584-005
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike Women's Air Max 1 Ultra Moire Running ShoeNike Air Max Thea Ultra PRM Triple Black 848279-003 Women's Size 10specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Nike Women's Hyperdunk 2016 Basketball ShoeWMNS Nike Flex Run 2017 Mesh Running Shoes Black Blue Pink 898476-004 SZ New
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. WOMEN'S SIZE 10 NIKE AIR MAX LD-ZERO SE RUNNING / TRAINING SHOES NWB 911180 600Nike Womens's Air Max Thea Ultra Wolf Grey 844926-002They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,NIKE Women's AF1 Flyknit Low Casual Shoenike womens air max THEA PRM running trainers 616723 601 sneakers shoes tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
WMNS Nike Air Max 1 PRM SZ 6.5 Anthracite Metallic Hematite Black 454746-007
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Womens Free Run+ 3 Running Trainers 510643 Sneakers Shoes 702and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, [AR0625 001] NEW WOMEN'S NIKE AF1 JESTER HI XX BLACK BLUSTERY DUSTY PEACH NW75dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Nike Hyperize White Basketball Shoes Women's 8.5 Dream Flywire NEW
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. New Balance WR996CCC Lifestyle Sneaker Leisure Running shoesThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, nike womens air max thea JRCRD running trainers 718646 600 sneakers shoescounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,NIKE Air Max 2017 Women's Running Sneaker Concord/Persian Violet sz 6.5~11 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike Air Zoom Wildhorse 3 Women's Trail Running Shoes Sz 7 749337-010 Black33 Nike Air Max 90 Dark Wolf Grey Women's Shoes Size 7.5-8.5 325213 048
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.WMNS NIKE AIR HUARACHE ID RED-RED-RED SZ 10 "RED OCTOBER" [777331-972]WOMEN'S NIKE ZOOM ALL OUT LOW 2 (AJ0036-401),OCEAN BLISS,Running Shoes.NWB
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given