Repost of an Women's Nike Lunarglide 8 Sz 7-9.5 Noble Red/Fuchsia 843726-600 FREE SHIPPING from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Free RN CMTR 2018 GS Black White Kid Youth Women Slip On Shoes AH3460-001
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Womens Nike Dunk High Hi Lux SP Sacai White Wolf Grey Volt wmns wedge 776446 117Wmns Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 Sz 5.5-12 Pink/White 831356-602 FREE SHIPPING
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
NEW Nike AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA BREATHE sz: 6, 7; 8; 8.5 running shoe 833292-800
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Air Presto Premium PRM Leather Triple Black Shoes 878071-002 Women Size 8MEN'S NIKE CORTEZ KENNY III SHOES "BET IT BACK" BV0833-016 SIZE 4 Women’s 5.5 History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.WMNS Nike Metcon 2 Sz 6.5-10.5 Platinum/Crimson/Violet 821913-002 FREE SHIPPINGNike Womens Air Max 90 Premium Running Shoes Red Bronze White 896497-902 Size7 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Womens NIKE FREE RN CMTR 2017 Sequioa Trainers 880842 301
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN SUEDE SZ 9.5 COBBLESTONE GREY MUSHROOM 918411 001WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 95 LX BLACK-BLACK-GREY-SAIL "PONY HAIR" SZ 9 AA1103-001]Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Women's Nike Air Max Cage 554874 100 Size 10
- B.O.C. Women's Peggy Clogs Size 6.5 Med
- Finn Comfort Stanford 2552 Bronze Womens Mary Jane Clogs Sandals Leather
- NIKE Air Max Zero Essential Noir Noir 876070 006
- Gentlemen/Ladies DC Women's Trase SE Skateboarding Shoe Complete specification a wide range of products Modern mode
- Cole Haan Mens 10.5 M Oxfords Apron Toe Shoes Black Leather Upper (F28)
- 76937 BKGY Skechers Men's Work Millenium Strikes Athletic Steel Toe Black/Gray
- New NIKE TANJUN (812654-011) MENS FASHION SNEAKERS RUNNING SHOES
- J CREW Crop Horse GENUINE LEATHER TALL RIDING DRESS BOOTS WOMENS SHOES SIZE 7
- Steve Madden Black "Waltz" Wedge Platform boots Boots Sz 10
- CROCS SUPER MOLDED WEAVE CROCBAND WELLIE RAIN SNOW BOOT SHOE~Pink Berry~W 4~NWT
- Sugar Vale boot women's black over the knee tall boot size 8
- ZARA Women's Patent Finish Ankle Boots (Navy Blue, US 9/)
- Levi's Men's Ashbury High Top Sneaker Black Men's US - Size 9
- Cole Haan Zerogrand Wing Ox Shoe - Men's Size 15M Burgundy
- Mizuno M-Line sneakers Mizuno MR1 Reproduction-limited model made in Japan Black
- Adidas Aqualette Slide White/Black/White Sportstyls Sandals Slippers CG3538
- Man/Woman Ladies Remonte Casual Shoes R3431 Not so expensive auction Sales online store
- VANS "Authentic" Black Canvas Low Top Unisex Shoes Men’s Size 7 Women’s 8.5
- Nike Lunar Superbad Pro TD Mid Mens Football Cleats 534994 427 Navy White Sz 14
- Vintage Doc Marten 6 Eye Boots Brown Leather Made In England Air Wair Size 5
- Robert Wayne Men's Jaron Boot
- Stacy Adams Mens DESMOND CAP TOE MONK STRAP Cranberry Dress Shoes 25162-608
- DANNER Quarry 8" 2.0 GTX 14521 Men 11.5 D Boots Black Leather
- Rockport Men's Cold Springs Plus High Moc Boot, Black - Size 8.5
- Vintage Nocona Full Quill Ostrich Cowboy Boots Men’s 8.5 C Black Med Round Toes
- RUSSELL & BROMLEY BLACK LEATHER TASSEL HANDMADE LOAFERS / / US 8
- Christian Louboutin Black Fencing 85 Chalumeau/Calf Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Dieppa Restrepo Metallic Sage Green Cali Flats Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Stretch Nikon Nero 1 Boots/Booties Size US 6 Narrow (Aa, N)
- Nike mens black Lebron Soldier X triple basketball 9 M 844374 001 EUC
- $450 size 8.5 To Boot New York Duke Brown Leather Oxford Mens Dress Shoes
- adidas Women's CF Daily QT Mid W Sneaker, Red Night/Purple, W Size 11 Medium US
- Mens 11.5 NIKE Flyknit Air Max Blue Volt Green Running Shoes
- ADIDAS NMD_XR1 WOMEN'S SIZE 9
- Nike SFB 6" NSW Leather 862511-001 Black Women Special Field Tactics Boots
- Puma Women's Complete SLX Ryjin J Fashion Athletic Running Shoe Sneakers
- Retro Round Toe Platform Wedge Heels Ankle Boots Color Stitching Athletic Shoes
- Nike Air Presto Essential "Game Royal" Men's Shoes NEW! Sz 10
- Adidas Y-3 Kanja Black White Red Women's Sz 5-6 Small Running Shoes BA7847 NEW!!
- Womens Suede Pointy Toe Wedge Hiddle Heel Pull on Ankle Boot Retro Leisure Shoe
- Tommy Hilfiger Women's SAYNA Mule - Choose SZ/Color
- New Crocs Women's 16025 Duet Busy Day Mary Jane Flat Graphite/Ultraviolet W8
- Gentleman/Lady Beacon Terri Women's Slip On sell Latest styles Quality and consumer first
- Dr Martens Women's Loafer Double Monk Strap Chestnut Size 11 Leather $195
- Axign Medical Footwear Womens Hawthorn Diabetic Arthritis Relief Shoes
- Salvatore Ferragamo 10 AAA Women's Brown Leather Loafers
- NEW...FINN COMFORT 7 - 7 1/2 US, (38 Eu), womens,sensitive feet, Biege, BD 001
- NIKE DART 10 RUNNING SHOE SHOES ORIGINAL NIKE WHITE (PRICE IN SHOP 79E)
- Asics GEL-DS Trainer 22 [T770N-3967] Women Training Shoes Aqua/Flash Coral
- Oboz Women's Sawtooth Low Hiking Shoe Chestnut/Beach Glass Nubuck Leather
- MUNRO, Women's Size 9.5 M, Slip On Loafers, Black
- ARA LUFTPOLSTER Lady's black leather Shoes comfort W/air cushions US 8.5
- Baldinini Suede Italian Shoes Summer Collection New Sizes 6,11
- Gentlemen/Ladies Men's Casual Shoes Driving Loafers ML7130 Reputation first cheapest Elegant and robust menu
- CLARKS BLACK LEATHER UPPER MADE IN CHINA SIZE 9.5M
- Mens U.S. Trask Mens Brown Shoes Bozeman Montana 3247 7 Size 12 M Made in Brazil
- Georgia Boot Mens 7 1/2 E Steel Toe Non-Slip Safety Boot/Shoe Opryland GOP NEW
- Circus By Sam Edelman Womens Paxton Black Tall Boots 8M Zip Up Low Heel
- Womens VanEli Brown Suede Ankle Fashion Boots Sz 9 1/2
- OTBT Low Rider Boot - Women's Size 9.5M Black
- Anne Klein Delray Stretch Knee High Boots 014, Black/Black, 6.5 US
- DONALD J PLINER COUTURE Olive Suede Bronze Stud Embroidered Heel Boot Size 7 M
- Nike Stefan Janoski Max 631303 008 Skateboard Lifestyle Running Shoe size 13
- Mr/Ms BLOHM Men's Shoes 303952 Black We have won praise from our customers. Beautiful comfortable
- DOLCE & GABBANA D&G SIZE 45 BLACK GOLD LEATHER SNEAKERS TENNIS SHOES
- KEEN Mens Brown Uneek Flat Cord Comfort Athletic Water Shoes Sandals Size 8.5
Womens NIKE FREE 5.0 SOLSTICE Black Running Trainers 806588 001
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Exotic Nike Air MAX 90 DmB Qs City Shanghai Gold 813152 sz 8.5the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike Women's Size 6 Air Max 90 Running Athletic Training Sneakers ShoeNike Women's Rift Wrap SE Mica Blue/Legion Green/Black 881192-400.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Womens NIKE AIR MAX THEA KJCRD Cinnabar SyntheticTrainers 718646 600
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. W Nike Vandal HI High LX Lux Black Iridescent White AH6826-003 Women's 8.5-9.5After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, NIKE HUARACHE RUN GS WOMEN SIZE 7.5(6Y) NEW W/O BOX!!!!when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
New! Nike Zoom Winflo 4 Women's Size 7.5 Running Shoes lack/Dark Grey/White
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Nike Air Zoom Elevate Women's Running Shoes AA1213-003Nike Women's Zoom Kynsi Jacquard Waterproof Boots Size 8 [806978 001] Blackspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.New Nike Free 5.0 Womens Running Shoes Sneakers 580591 400Womens Nike Air Huarache Run iD Aqua Grey White Gloss SZ 6.5 (871141-993)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. NIKE WOMENS FLYKNIT ZOOM AGILITY SZ 7 CHALK BLUE WHITE RACER BLUE 698616 403NEW* WMNS NIKE ROSHE NM FLYKNIT WOMENS RUNNING SHOE WHT CRIMSON $120 843386-604They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Nike Wmns Classic Cortez SE 902856-900 Blur/Bio Beige/Light Orewood Brown Size 8DS WOMENS NIKE FLARE LG QS AIR JORDAN 1 SERENA WILLIAMS 878458 006 SZ 7 NOBOXLID tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nike Flyknit Air Force 1 Size 7
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nike Air Max Thea Premium Womens Shoes Metallic Field/Metallic Field 616723-902and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Nike Air Zoom Ultra React HC Women's Size 7 Red Tennis Shoes 859718-602dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
NIKE AIR HUARACHE ID WMNS SIZE 6.5 [777331-972] WHITE PURPLE PINK
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. New Nike Women's Air Max 90 Pinnacle Obsidian Nikelab Lab Leather 839612-401The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Women Volley Zoom Hyperspike sz 6 (585763-011) Grey White Volleyballcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,New Womens Sz 6.5 NIKE AIR MAX 1 ULTRA 2.0 FK FLYKNIT 881195-001 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike Air Huarache Women's Shoes Ember Glow Dark Cayenne White 634835 801 NewWomen’s Nike Free RN FLYKNIT 2018 Black Size 5
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.NIKE WMNS AIR FORCE 1 JESTER XX BLACK FASHION SNEAKERS AO1220-001 Size 9.5Nike Air Revolution Sky Hi Liberty London Hidden Wedge Sz 8.5
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given