Repost of an NIKE KYRIE IRVING 2 AS.. MULTI-COLOR.. WOMEN 6.5 or YOUTH 5.. FAST SHIPPING! from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Nike Air Max 1 Ultra LOTC QS 747105 401 US Size 7.5 Brand New
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Women's Nike Metcon 1 Training Shoes Black/White-Jade-Volt 813101-002 Size 10.5Women's Nike Air Huarache Run PRM SIZE 6.5 683818-102 Oatmeal Khaki Tan White
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
New Nike Zoom Vomero+ 8 Womens Sport Shoes
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nike Flyknit Lunar3 Multi Color Purple Orange Blue RN Free Womens Running NEWNEW Womens NIKE Lunarglide 8 AA8677 500 Black Violet Running Sneakers Shoes History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.NEW* WMNS NIKE ROSHE NM FLYKNIT WOMENS RUNNING SHOE WHT CRIMSON $120 843386-604Nike Air Max 90 Premium Safari Shoes Wolf Grey CROC 443817 011 Women’s Size 7 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Women's Nike Air Force 1 Upstep Premium Metallic Black on Black 917590-003
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NIKE WOMEN AIR MAX 2016 COPA-BLACK-BLUE LAGOON SZ 11 [806772-400]Womens Nike Cortez Floral Running shoes sz 9Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Nike Womens Free Rn Cmtr Running Shoe
- DANSKO BLACK CLOG SHOES size 39 Uniform Wear 8.5 VERY STURDY Low Heels 8 1/2
- Z-Coil FREEDOM CLASSIC WHITE Covered WOMENS FW-02417-W Comfort Wide Shoes Zcoil~
- Hugo Boss Men's Gymm Neo Black Sport Sneakers Shoes Sz: 13
- Lovers Sports Shoes Casual Net Shoes Running Shoes Men's Shoes Women's Shoes
- Propet Mens Sergio Slip Resistant Work Shoe Black Waterproof Leather 10 M US
- Chuck Taylor All Star Converse Ct HI Dark Atomic Teal Unisex sneakers 157613F
- Puma Suede Classic Men's Sneakers Black-White 352634-03
- Womens mini bow Boots 6 Colors Available
- Tony Bianco Gidget Black Womens Shoes Casual Boots Ankle
- $139 BCBG BCBGeneration Women BG-Joesana Suede Ankle Bootie Shoe, Black, US 8.5
- Clarks Women Black 9.5M Merrian Rayna Knee High Leather Liteweight Boot Shoes
- $99 NWT Women's Jennifer Lopez Studded Hidden Wedge Ankle Booties Gry
- NEW Lacoste Europa 417 1 SPM 7-34SPM0044248 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- PRADA $690 men's LOAFERS DRIVER NEW shoes 100%AUTENTICH MADE IN ITALY CPS16
- asics Japan Onitsuka Tiger MEXICO 66 SD D838L Cream × Cream Free shipping
- NIKE AIR JORDAN HYDRO 3 RETRO III SLIDE SZ 10 WHITE RED CEMENT GREY 854556 103
- G.H. Bass & Co. Women's Patricia Driving Style Loafer
- New Balance Men's MX602WT Training Shoes Size US 8
- $120 Greedy Genius Cool Breeze Venice (turquoise / ivory / black) FW0708-101
- Excellent Dr. Martens Men's Brown Leather Made In England Oxfords Size 11
- MENS DICKIES LANDMASTER GREEN NON SAFETY WELLIES BOOTS SIZE FW91105
- Pointy Toe Military Men Black Zipper Leather Combat Riding Knee High Boots Shoes
- Dr Doc Martens Sussex Industrial Boots Mens Sz 10 Brown Chukka Ankle Slip Resist
- Hytest Hiker Men's Black Boot 7.5 Wide
- JUSTIN MENS Light BROWN Leather CLASSIC STYLE Cowboy Boots SZ 7.5 D
- Gentleman/Lady MEPHISTO Men's Oxfords Size 10.5 Quality products Let our products go to the world Personalization trend
- Christian Louboutin Black Ziggoo 85 Patent Silver Spike Heel 36 Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Brown Oneal Over-the-knee Medium Natural Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Asics Pink and Aqua Gel Noosa Fast 2 Sneakers Size US 8
- Nike Rosherun Run Print Shoes [655206-346] Size: Men's 6.5/Women's 8 Hyper Jade
- DIESEL Y01534 P1349 T8013 SKB S-KBY Mn's (M) Black Textile Lifestyle Shoes
- adidas Stadium Team Backpack, Collegiate Navy
- Mens Nike Air Jordan Flight 23 Off Court Shoes 317820 013 Sz 10 Black Blue NEW
- adidas Cloudfoam Advantage W White Black Leather Women Tennis Shoes AW4287
- Women's Nike Lunarlon Size 7
- Asics Gel Kayano 20 Sneaker - Women's Size 8.5 Purple
- Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Women's Kline Ankle Boot
- NIKE FREE RN Flyknit Mens Running Shoes Black White Gym Shoes831069 001
- $130 Nike Air Max Zero SE Men’s Size 13 Dark Grey/Black/White 918232-001 Free SH
- Betsy Johnson JAX Booties Black Beaded embellishment block heel Size 7.5 NEW
- Ladies Rieker Style 93756 Knee High Long Winter Boots
- Yippee Kay Yay by Old Gringo Women's Eveleight Western Boot Bone 8 M US
- Aetrex Women's Bungee Oxford Blackberry Size 7.5 NG1s
- Man's/Woman's Made in Italia - LUCILLA wholesale At a lower price classic style
- NAOT “Kirei” Bronze/Brown Suede Comfy Mary Jane Shoes Size 40 EU/9-9.5 US $185
- Loints of Holland Shoes Clog Flats Lagenlook Womens Red Comfort Shoe / 7
- COCLICO SHOES HIELO MONK STRAP FLATS 37 DARK NAVY BLUE
- Skechers 818 Street Womens Double up-E.Moe.g Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- MBT WOMEN'S PATA 6S STRAP BLACK NAPPA ART N
- 1709 adidas Originals Iniki Runner Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes BY9093
- Clark's Artisan Unstructured Black Leather Shoes Size 8.5 Med Women Gently Used
- ALEGRIA by PG Lite Debra women's size 36 Black embossed rose slip on nurse clogs
- NIKE Men's sneakers Air Jordan1 retro high OG 555088-020
- O40 Adidas X_Plr White/Core Black Mesh/Rubber Running Shoes Men's Size 10 M
- Mens Floral Embroidery Floral Leather Oxford Shoes Loafers Slip on Casual Flats
- PUMA Men's Flexracer Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Mens Stacy Adams Dress Casual Shoes GULLIVER 24993 Brown Suede Slip On Loafer 13
- NEW ZENSU BECKI WOMENS LEATHER MID HEEL ANKLE BOOTS
- Red Ball LaCrosse Womens 9 Brown Leather Rubber Waterproof Snow Winter Boots-450
- $229 Steven By Steve Madden Womens Narri Boot Shoe Blue Leather, US 8.5
- L'Artiste by Spring Step Women's Black Multi Rikeet Boots Size 41
- Bare Traps Womens Yaegar Fabric Round Toe Ankle Cold Weather Boots
- Xtratuf Men's Finatic II Tan/Chocolate Size 7.5 Casual Shoes
- Men's NEW size 9 White Leather MBT Sport Shoes with Gray Trim
- Donald J Pliner Darrin 3 Slip On - Men's Size 7.5 Black
- Mens Summer Leather Fisherman Roma Beach Shoes Vintage Hollow out Sandals Flats
Nike Lunarclipse 629683-510 Red Violet Magenta Running Shoes Medium (B,M) Women
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Women's Metcon 1 Training Shoes-BLACK/COOL GREY/VOLT-MULTIPLE SIZESthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike TN Air Tuned Air Original 2001 White / Pink Shoes Max Rare Size 8.5Nike Lunartempo 2 818098-003 Womens Running Shoes Black White & Pink.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nike Women's Air Max Tailwind 8 Rcr Blue/Black/Chlk Bl/Hypr Orng Running Shoe...
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nike Air Max Thea Ultra SE - SIZE 5.5 - NEW - 881118-100 Oatmeal Khaki Tan QSAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, *New* Nike Air Huarache Run Mid Black/Hot Punch Women’s Size 8 Shoes 807313-003when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nike Men's KD Trey 5 V Basketball Shoes
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, NIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN SE BLACK GREY COBBLESTONE DENIM 859429 007 SZ 10Nike Women’s Air Force 1 ‘07 F Russian Floral Athletic Shoes Sz. 8.5 AJ1690-001specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.NEW 844888-403 Women's NIKE AIR PEGASUS "89 Shoe!! GLACIER BLUE/BLACK-WOLF GREYNIKE ROSHE RUN PRINT FLASH LIME/white WOMEN'S Running SHOES 100% authentic
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Nike AF1 Blue Croc Se *Rare Sample* Women's US Size 7 Style: 898889-400Nike Juvenate Print Casual Women's ShoesThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,New Nike Hyperdunk Basketball Shoes, White/Black, Women's 8, 9.5NikeLab 878224-001 Air Zoom LWP X Kim Jones Women's Training Shoes Black, SZ 5.5 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nike Roshe One Womens 511882-404 Binary Blue Oatmeal Mesh Running Shoes Size 6
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Brand New Rare Nike Air-Max Thea Joli 725118-002 Metallic Pewter Shoes -Womens 7and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, NIKE ZOOM TERRA SERTIG BOOT Women's SZ 8 ACG 2017 916812-002dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
nike womens free RN running trainers 831509 403 sneakers shoes
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. NEW Nike Nikelab Women’s Air Max Plus Slip SP Black/Gold 940382-001 Sz 6.5.The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Air Max 90 LX Velvet - Particle Rosecounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 LE MJ USA Red Blue Gold Shoes Women's 8 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Nike Women’s SF AF1 Mid Air Force 1 Boot Orange Quartz AA3966-800 Size 7Women's Air Huarache Run SE "Cedar Gum" / 859429-600 / W Nike Yellow White Red
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike Air Max 90 SE Womens 7 Blue Floral Athletic Sneakers Comfort Shoes 881105[621078-003] NIKE AIR MAX 2014 WOMENS SNEAKERS NIKEDK MGNT GRY/BRGHT MNG-PCH CRM
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given