Repost of an Saks Fifth Avenue Nude Latte Eu 41 Wedges Size US 10 Narrow (Aa, N) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Marc Jacobs Black Wedges Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Nine West Purposer Cogtmor/Suit Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Brooks Brothers Ivory Moccasin Inspired with Tassel Bow Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Zara Natural/Red Platforms Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Nine West Tan Pintuck D4 Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)Gianni Bini Brown Wynona Ruched Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Cape Robbin Pink Flats Size US 10 Narrow (Aa, N)New Balance 574 Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B) Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
SCHUTZ Black Panteria Suede Chain-trimmed Wedges Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. A. Marinelli Dark Brown Ease Platforms Size US 6.5Red #626651 Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Liz Claiborne Print Cute Platforms Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Dansko 38 (EU) 7.5/8 (US) Crushed Velvet Clogs Brown Closed Back Career Shoes
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Pearl Cross-Strap Black Full Grain Leather Mary Janes
- Men Hugo Boss Shoes Orland_Lowp_sdny1 Sneakers Blue Size 10
- Mens Propet Summit Walker M6026 Outdoor Hiking Trail Boots Size 8.5 M
- Alfani Crown Leather Oxfords Black Men's 9 M US - MSRP $99
- Giorgio Brutini Mens Candent 21094 Leather Wingtip Oxford Dress Shoe Gray 9.5 11
- men's shoes +2 MADE IN ITALY 8 () slip on blue leather BZ452-B
- New Women Breckelles Dorado-18 Suede Fringe Cap Toe Ankle Bootie Size
- Mi Bottes BARRATTS Daim Marron Clair T4 (37) TTBE
- Womens Ladies Fashion Suede Leather Rabbit Fur High Heel Ankle Boots Shoes Rainb
- VINTAGE LEATHER EUROPEAN PLATFORM BOOTS IVORY BULGERIA WOOL LINED 7.5 M TALL
- NEw Nine West Navy Blue Suede Booties Womens Sz 6 1/2
- Finsbury Gamme Latina NAVY Blue Suede Fashion Sneakers Shoes Mens / US 9
- S-1313997 New Bally Wabler Mustard Suede Driver Shoe Size US 10D Marked 9E
- Lacoste Men's Piloter Full Premium Leather Solid Slip-On Loafer Moccasins Tan
- Mens Slip On Sandals Casual Flat Heel Shoes Breathable Soft Hollow Out Oxfords Y
- Men/Women Flat Nine West Morton Natural/Natural Fabric Elegant and sturdy set meal Strong value Exquisite (processing) processing
- $120.00 Etnies Plus Upsetter Disney Collaboration (black / purple) Fantasia 4107
- PUMA MoccLite Black Shoes / Fashion Sneakers Sz 13 Brand New with Original Box
- Florsheim Mens Brown Chukka Leather Ankle Boots Size 11.5 M
- Xelement X93009 Size 8.5 Performance Black Leather Motorcycle Boots
- New Stacy Adams Mens Cagney Chukka Boot Black Milled Leather 24907-007
- Men's Fashion Suede Zip Shoes Pointed Toe Slouch Formal Ankle Boots Dress Shoes
- Eastland Jett Men's Boot Ankle Black Size 9 1/2 D Style 7038-01 Boots
- GEORGIA SPORT & TRAIL LEATHER BOOTS 400 THINSULATE ULTRA GORE TEX WOMENS Sz 9.5
- Lacoste Bayliss Sneakers, Men's Size 13 Navy
- Acne Studios Ora with Clear Heels Boots/Booties Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Givenchy Black Nunka Boots/Booties Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Tod's Black Leather Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 Men's Running Training Shoes Black/White 831352-001 New
- Guaranteed Free Shipping Bacco Bucci Iliad Sneaker
- Man/Woman：Puma Vikky Ribbon Trainers Womens Red Sports Trainers Sneakers：Wear Charm
- Nike Air Max 2009, 486978-407, Men's Running Shoes, Blue/Green, Size 10
- scarpe adidas stan smith con glitter rosso
- Nike Free Tr Fit Women's White/Cerise 29785101
- Womens Pull on Bowknot Ankle Boots Chunky High Heels Shiny Patent Leather Shoes
- Womens Athletic Ankle Boots Platform Knitted Stripe Stretch 2018 Hot Flats Sport
- DS Adidas Iniki Runner Hazel Coral Womens Size 10 BA9999
- Nike Jordan Flight 23 Black / White 317820-015 Basketball Shoes Men
- Black Women's Pointed Toe Pull On Flat Heel Snow Ankel Boots Colorful Fox Fur Sz
- Dr Martens 2976 Vegan Womens Black Cambridge Ankle Chelsea Boots Size & 13
- OLD GRINGO VESUVIO BROWN Leather ANKLE BOOTS Embroider Western COWGIRL COWBOY 10
- WOW NENE EMMA ITALY FLATS PINK & TAUPE BALLET SLIPPER 10 SHOES SLIP ON EXCELLENT
- Vionic Women's Ailie Leather Mary Jane Sport Shoe Size: USA 6,
- La Pinta Women's Slip On Shoe Ballet Flats Beige Leather Upper 2081425Beige
- NEW DOLCE & GABBANA BLACK AND YELLOW LEMON PRINT PLATFORM ESPADRILLES SIZE IT 37
- NWOB FS NY Passport Flat Black Patent Cap Toe Quilted Black Leather Upper 7.5
- Nike WMNS Air Max 1 Ultra Essentials women lifestyle casual sneakers NEW gym red
- HOKA ONE ONE BONDI LTR BLACK LEATHER RUNNING ATHLETIC SHOES SIZE US 7.5 WOMENS
- New Balance XC5K Women's Laser Blue/Dragon Fly WXC5KBP4
- SAFE T STEP Womens Size13 Black Faux Snake Skin Non-Marking Clogs Slip On Mules
- Kodiak Static Dissipative Work Shoes CSA Protective Women's Shoe Sz. 81/2W Black
- Men's/Women's bx33609 Hogan man's brown derby shoes Louis, elaborate Win highly appreciated The first batch of customers' comprehensive specifications
- V 1969 Italia Mens Loafer Camel MATTEW
- NEW Men's Dexter Cody Size 9 Medium Hickory Waxhide Leather Casual Tie Oxfords
- 51361 Black Skechers Shoe Men New Memory Foam Comfort Slipon Dress Casual Loafer
- Steve Madden Men's Felix Sneaker Navy Fabric Size 9.0
- Lucky Brand Booties with heel Zipper brown Size 9.5
- LAURA ASHLEY Black Short Fashion Ankle Boots "Mansfield" 11M B NIB
- Man's/Woman's Khombu Mayana Cold Weather Boots, Black fashion Price reduction Good quality
- Boots Roma Booties Leather Elastic Slip Ons Cut Out Heel Extra Pads Brown Asgi
- crocs 203851 Womens Freesail Shorty Rainboot- Choose SZ/Color.
- Reed Hill Brown Leather Zipper Jod Boots Ladies size 6 C - Made in USA
- BOSS Green by Hugo Boss Men's Shuttle Tenn Leather Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- A.Testoni Men's Shoes High Top Sneakers Black 7 US 41 NEW
- 2018 mens Beach summer PU leather thongs flip flops sandals casual comfort shoes
Tory Burch Brown Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Paul Green Black Velcro Strap Sneakers Sneakers Size US 8 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:REPORT Tan Womens Amrik Gladiator Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)BCBGMAXAZRIA Black Platform Studded Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Tory Burch Teal and Ivory Bleeker Street Leather Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Nude Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Kenneth Cole Reaction Black Hype-d Up Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Alexander McQueen Red Floral Peeptoe Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Circa Joan & David Animal Print Shootie Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Pink Gregory's Sneakers Sneakers Size US 6 Regular (M, B)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Madden Girl Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Via Spiga Black Gladiator Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. ALDO Blk Pumps Size US 8Crown Vintage Black Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,ALDO Black Platforms Size US 6 Regular (M, B)White Floral Claire Leather Sneaker Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Cole Haan Gold Amari Ot Soft Metallic Leather 5.5m Wedges Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Kelsi Dagger Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, French Connection Black/Snake Skin Mulesdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Jessica Simpson White Jp-geniviv Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Steve Madden Black Veruca Triple Strap Mary Jane Pumps Display Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Sperry Navy White Cap Boat Sneakers Size US 9 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Ballet Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.BC Footwear Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Cosmopolitan Black Na Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.ALDO Black Flat Suede Pointy Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Red and Sliver Edition Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given