Repost of an Sam Edelman Bronze-shimmer-leopard-fabric Nadine Sandals Bronze Leopard Print Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
J.Crew Multi-color Blue with White Polka Dots and Red Patent Leather Toe Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Andiamo Taupe/Blue/Cream Loreli Kid Suede Pumps Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)Minnetonka Black Little Kid Double Fringe Mocassin Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
SCHUTZ Silver Sandal Platforms Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Sperry Navy and White Stripes Flats Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Sam Edelman Black Denver Blksde/Blksnk Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Crown Vintage Black Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Ecco Black Leather Slip On Mules Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Fendi Metallic Silver with Buckle 38 Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Ariat Black Suede Slip MulesNine West Tan Gerri MulesAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Converse Blue Chuck Taylor Ii Sneakers Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- DANSKO Women Professional Red Clogs Patent Leather Shoes SZ 6.5-7 US / 37 EUR
- Azura Women's Jeanette Navy Textile Open Toe Shoes
- MOCASSINS GERARD SENE - T.6 (T.39) - TBEG
- COLE HAAN MENS ZENO SLIPON SHOES 9M
- Cole Haan Men Black Leather Loafers Moccasins Driving Shoes Size 12 Med
- Mens Males Dandy Loafer Fashion Sneakers Casual Oxford Shoes Brown CS-PTK_mC
- men's shoes +2 MADE IN ITALY 9 () loafer blue gray leather BZ450-D
- neat-09 Fashion Over the Knee Bluckle Zipper Synthetic Women Winter Boots 6.5-
- LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Womens Mikenna Rubber Closed Toe Ankle, Black, Size 6.0 r
- GIANNI BINI BOOTS Womens 9.5 M Heels 3" Black Dress Cowgirl Style Shaft Pull tab
- Volatile Cake Wine Leather Dyed Calf Fur Ankle Boot Bootie Size 8.5 MSRP: $120
- Madden Girl Womens Gray Prissley Boots Shoe Size 7
- Rockport Men's Get Your Kicks Sandals Thong Black/Grey 10 M D-10 M
- To Boot New York Men's Adelphi US 13 M Black Leather 3 Strap Sneakers Shoes $295
- Daniele Alessandrini Shoes Sz. 45 Leather ITALY Man Gr F10003507-11 MAKE OFFER
- REEF MENS SANDALS FANNING BROWN GUM SIZE 8
- CLARKS Women's Gracelin Jenny Ballet Flat Black Leather 100 W US
- Men's Fashion Athletic Sneakers Casual Shoes Sport Outdoor Running Big Size
- ASICS GEL KAYANO 22 Running Shoes (Grey orange black) Mens 8.5. WORN twice!
- Texas Steer Kode Leather Soft Toe Work Boot Brown Water Oil resistant Sz 8.5W
- KrystalSB Boy London Korea Made Mens Boots 2.16" Elevator Shoes SneakersUS7~10
- Clarks Mens RASPIN LIMIT TOBACCO or TAUPE SUEDE
- FLY LONDON ~ BROWN LEATHER ANKLE BOOTS ~ MENS 40 ~ MADE IN PORTUGAL
- Baffin Mens Green Rainboots Size 6 (289191)
- Volcom Men's Del Coasta Suede Shoe Chukka Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Prada Men's Vitello Leather Suede Loafer Shoes Black
- Giuseppe Zanotti Emerald Green Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nina Formal Shoes Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Yosi Samra Copper 27-413 Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Women's Air Zoom Vomero 12 Running Shoe
- Puma AVID Fusefit White Silver Men Casual Lifestyle Shoes Sneakers 367242-02
- Man/Woman：PUMA Women's Fenty x Avid Sneakers - Choose SZ/Color： Quality Superior
- Nike Kobe AD Mens Size 9.5 Black Gum 922482 006 VNDS
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS Baskets deerupt RUNNER W cq2911 MINT
- Nike Wmns Free RN CMTR 2017 DX Running Womens Shoes Vast Grey AH8676-001
- KASTINGER K-FIT 1 KF1WW 37.5-41.5 NEW outdoor shoes outdoor trail trekking
- Women's Short Rainboots Waterproof Rubber Rain Boots Safety Non-slip Shoes New
- NIKE Air Force 1 '07 Men's Low Casual Black/Black Leather Shoes New
- Nike Roshe One SE Mens 844687-007 Black Pure Platinum Running Shoes Size 10.5
- Andre Assous Women's Larissa Ankle Bootie, Navy, 38 EU/8 M US
- ECCO Womens Womens Shape M 15 Ankle Bootie, Stone/Dark Shadow, 42 EU/11-11.5 US
- Gentlemen/Ladies Ariat Women's Josefina Western Cowboy Boot online sale comfortability Seasonal promotion
- Qupid Women's Bee-29 Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Earth Pax - Women's Lightweight Breathable Leather Navy - 10 Medium
- Fitflop Womens Uberknit Ballerina Crystal Black Ballet Flats 9 Medium (B,M) 7120
- New Waldlaufer closed sandal in Black size 6US
- Womens Dr Martens 8065 PW Virgina Black Leather Mary Jane Shoes Shu Size
- Apex Active Double Strap Walker Women's Walking
- 367817-01_Puma Shoes – Basket Heart Leather Wn′s white/white/pink_2018_Women_Lea
- Robert Clergerie Tolka Kiltie Leather Sneakers, Women's Size 8.5, White/Black
- New Naturalizer Womens Selah Black Loafers Size 12 (C,D,W)
- Dansko Professional Clogs NIB Navy Medallion Euro 37 US 6 1/2 -7
- Versace Collection Nickel Medusa Plaque Sneakers White 40 Eu
- TSUBO Men Leather Tassels Shoes Size 13 Slip on Light Weight EUc
- ECCO Mens Intrinsic Knit Sporty Lifestyle Black White 42 EU8-8.5 M US - B 14
- new vogue Men Sequins Glitter Bling Flat Casual Loafer Slip On nightclub Shoes
- PW Minor Leisure Time Mens 8.5 Wide Dark Brown Leather Casual Comfort Diabetic
- Madden Girl Dally Black Womens Shoes Size 5.5 M Boots MSRP $59
- EUC Womens TROUVE black leather dual zip ankle boot. Sz 8.5M
- SHOE DAZZLE FAUX LEATHER/QUILTED FLAT 1.25" HEEL INNER ZIP DBL BUCKLE ACCENT
- VINCE CAMUTO KALLIE BLACK TWO TONE CALF WOMEN BOOTS SIZE 6 M MSRP $229
- Women's Clarks Desert Boot Grey Felt
- VANS TAKA HAYASHI SLIP ON 66 LX MARSHMALLOW BLACK AUST SELLER KINGPINSTORE FREE
- Alexander McQueen Men’s Cross-Stitch Flower Loafers size 41 $795
- Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Grey mens size 6 US
- KEEN Mens Bison/Black Sport Sandals Size 9.5 (14741)
Nike Black & White Free Fly Knit 4.0 Sneakers Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Boutique 9 Pink Bt Paulyne Flats Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Black Sapphire Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)Blue Suede Italian Oxfords Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
JOE'S Blue Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Giorgio Armani Neon Green Logo Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Tahari Red Barb Canvas Jute Peep-toe Slingbacks Heels Platforms Size US 6 Regular (M, B)when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Ivanka Trump Gold Lissa Cut-out Ballet Flatsgold Leather Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Marc by Marc Jacobs Red Peep Toe Bow Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Jean-Michel Cazabat Black Cream Brown Wedge Heel Sandals Size US 11 Regular (M, B)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Cape Robbin Blue Denim and Black Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)ZIGI soho Fushia Evening Embellished Sandals Formal Shoes Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Black Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Steve Madden Black --- Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Shellys London Black Klikta Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Corso Como Camel Patent Leather Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Nine West Black Leather Knee High Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Black Ayaa Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Black Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Ann Taylor Blush / Nude Camille Bloom Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Easy Street Linin Formal Shoes Size US 8 Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike White Serena Williams 2016 French Open Roshe Ld-1000 Collectible Sneakers Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Eric Javits Black Cage Sling Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Fergalicious by Fergie Grey Elegant Pumps Size US 11 Regular (M, B)Naturalizer Brown Kyran Classic Dress Mocha Taupe N Display Pumps Size US 7 Extra Wide (Ww, Ee)
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Børn Concept Leather Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Cape Robbin Blue Denim and Black Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given