Repost of an Juicy Couture Grey Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Isola Cognac Gold Carlota Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Guess Black Velvet Beaded Wedges Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Leopard Print None Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Taupe Suede Round 37) Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Sanita Black Koi Swedish MulesNaturalizer Brown Kyran Classic Dress Mocha Taupe N Display Pumps Size US 7 Extra Wide (Ww, Ee) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.BCBGeneration Brown Platform Wedges Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Eric Javits Tan Cage Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B) Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Saks Fifth Avenue Beige Black Label Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Silver Roriee Ankle Strap Dress Sandals Pale W Pumps Size US 7 Wide (C, D)Ralph Lauren Black T-ankle Strap Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Matisse Black with Rhinestones Heals Formal Shoes Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Sanita Clogs Wooden Mules Wood Professional Shoes 7.5 Black Patent
- Naot Women's Matai Mary Jane Metal Leather/Black Suede Comfort Shoes
- Gentlemen/Ladies Rocky Long Range Waterproof Western Boot Exquisite (middle) workmanship online shop Fashion versatile shoes
- Retro Men Canvas Loafers Slip on Breathable Ethnic Casual Fashion Flat ShoesA484
- Men's Loafers Shoes Slip On Pointy Toe Casual PU Leather Military Metal Decor
- native Men's Monaco Low CT Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Polo Ralph Lauren Size 11 HALFORD Charcoal Gray Fashion Sneakers New Mens Shoes
- Nine West Women's ESHELLA, Dark Grey Fabric, 6 Medium US
- Womens Gray 1.5" Low Hidden Heel Side Buckle Sexy Knee Boot Size 7
- VANELi Womens Zandra Black Nappa Size 7.5 pF5h
- Men's/Women's Dr.Martens Shoes 912672 Red 4 wholesale Reliable performance King of the crowd
- Boulet Leather Cowboy Boots 7.5 Khaki Suede Western Topstitch Cowgirl Southwest
- Skechers Men's Work Relaxed Fit Ruffneck Steel Toe
- DSQUARED2 Size 42 Kick It Sneakers Dean & Dean Signed Red Yellow White Leather
- Cole Hann Men's Grant Canoe Camp Slip-on Loafer Batik Size 10 New In box
- Sanuk Men's Tarzan Classic Sandals Flip Flops Multi Blanket Stripes SSMS10546 L
- Spring Step Women's Shondra Smoking Flat 40M
- Nike Air Flight Dime Dropper - 316410-101 Sz 10 Athletic Shoes
- VANS ERA (LEATHER/PLAID) RHUBARB BLACK/RED MEN'S SKATE SHOES
- 2018 Mens Fashion Safety Shoes Breathable Steel Toe Hiking Climbing Boots
- Ska Doo Mens Black Low Top Duck Snow Winter Cold Weather Boots with Insulation
- Vasque Skywalk Mens 8063-NVY Brown Navy Gore-Tex Hiking Boots Shoes Size 7.5
- Mens Casual Hiking Sneakers Breath Combat Desert Tactical Outdoor Climbing Shoes
- Polo Ralph Lauren Tavin Rollover BOOTS Mens 9 Shearling Lamb Leather Brown Green
- BRITISH 10 HOLE EYELET UNDERCOVER RANGERS BOOTS PUNK ROCK BIKER SKINHEAD MOD
- New Balance CRT300AO D Green Grey White Men Casual Shoes Sneakers CRT300AOD
- Oscar de la Renta New Python Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Dsquared2 Ariel Sandals Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Black Tassel Loafers Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- New Nike SB Blazer Zoom Mid XT Shoes
- NWT FENDI Granite Print Canvas Espadrilles Shoes Size 6 US 39 EU $550
- Adidas - ADI-EASE - Black / White - Canvas - B41851 MSRP $60
- Nike Kyrie 1 All Star Dark Grey Multi Color 742547-090 Men’s Size 8
- adidas ZX 750 WV 127
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2 - Black;Purple - Womens
- NIKE ROUBAIX V SHOE SHOES ORIGINAL NIKE NEGRO (PRICE IN SHOP 89EUROS)
- Womens Chic Sneakers Pull On Over Knee High Boots Slim Leg Long Boots Shoes Sz
- Nike Jordan Ultra Fly Basketball Shoes NIKE Jordan Sneakers NEW
- Nike SF Air Force 1 MID Men's Shoes, 917753 004 Size 9 NEW
- Shiny Women Super Over Knee High Riding Boot Patent Leather Nightclub 2019 12cm
- Crevo Women's Linley Fashion Boot, Grey, 9.5 M US
- Teva Womens W Foxy Mid Calf Boot- Pick SZ/Color.
- Dr. Scholl's Women's Feel Crazy Good Mule Clog Shoes New
- NEW ADIDAS by Stella McCartney ITRAN BALLERINA Women's Shoes Flats Size US 10
- Man's/Woman's Alegria Keli - Black - Womens superior Beautiful Vintage tide shoes
- Saddle shoes oxfords black white 8M
- Tory Burch Lonnie Flat Logo Espadrille Canvas Soft Patent Calf Chambray 6372 Sz7
- Gentlemen/Ladies New Balance Women's 680v3 Running Shoe online sale Has a long reputation Reliable reputation
- Man/Woman Skechers Women's D'Lites Sneaker main category Upper material British temperament
- 1801 Nike Air Max Plus Lux Women's Training Running Shoes AH6788-001
- New Balance 1063 Running Women's Size 8 - Worn Very little Super Nice Fast Ship
- Dansko Womens Pro XP Mule- Pick SZ/Color.
- New in Box-$695 DSQUARED2 Pop Tux Studded Black Leather Sneaker Size 11.5 (44.5)
- PRADA MEN'S SLIP ON SNEAKERS NEW TECH BLUE AB2
- Mens Chinese Beijing Style Slip On Loafers Fur Lined Warm Casual Winter Shoes
- VANS ERA VAN DOREN STARS STRIPES CHECKER MENS SIZE 9 NEW SKATE SHOES
- Skechers Men's Work Relaxed Fit Felton Black Sneakers Shoes
- Lisa Vicky Printed Flower Suede Women's Boots, Size 7.5 M, New!!
- Soda Brown Faux Leather Cowboy Pull-on Ankle Boots Oak
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Damara Ankle Boots 789, Black/Black, 6.5 US / 37.5 EU
- VINTAGE Light Brown Leather Pony Hair Fur Boots 6 6.5 Flat Stitch Detail
- AJ516 DONNA MODA shoes brown suede women boots
- Asics Gel-Lyte V Round Toe Suede Sneakers
- Radii Mens Apex Black High Top Fashion Sneakers 10.5 Medium (D) BHFO 2600
- RAPARO Brown Suede Slip On Loafer Shoes Size 10
- Brand New Mens Gray & White Adidas Voloomix Vario Sandals, Size 8
Sam Edelman Black Eloise Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nine West Black Leather Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Gentle Souls Sand Rock Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Ciao Bella Brown Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Nine West Black Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. New Balance Vivid Cobalt 247 Sneakers Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Charles Jourdan Brown Unique Vintage Minimal Wear Suede Heels Dark Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Nine West Multi Color Formal Shoes Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Eddie Bauer Brown Koko Boots/Booties Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Purple Marvel Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Charles David Black Leather. Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)Audrey Brooke Gold Formal Shoes Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Carlos by Carlos Santana Faux Snakeskin Tall Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)Sam Edelman Brown Nylee Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Rockport Black Orr Hall Wedges Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Halogen Grey Ghillie Nella Ankle Wrap Suede Leather Flats Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Clarks Black Ciera Brine Oxford Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nina Silver Neely Slingback Strappy Dress Sandals 672 Glitter Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Liliana Nude Villian Platforms Size US 6 Regular (M, B)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Black Chelsea Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Black Venah Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Via Spiga Nude Espadrille Wedges Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Martinez Valero Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.White Mountain Black Dover Harness Knee High Used Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Salon Shoes Ivory Rio Mules
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.White Mountain Black Behari Pull On Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)Steve Madden Nude Patent Leather Pumps Platforms Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given