Repost of an Christian Louboutin Nude Toerless Muse Leather Caged Ballerina Flats Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Brown Dallia Scrunch Toe Riding 994 Dark Boots/Booties Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Christian Louboutin Brown Simple 85 Pumps Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)Donald J. Pliner Black Modi Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Tahari Black Doe Heeled Tie Up Sandals Black/Black Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Stuart Weitzman Brown Embossed Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)Tory Burch Olive Green Eddie Ballet Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Tory Burch Silver Reva Ballet Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Cole Haan Black D40353 Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B) Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nina Shoes Ivory Pauline Formal Shoes Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Zara Auvergine Flat Slingback Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)Jeffrey Campbell Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Madewell Black Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- B.O.C. Women's Peggy Clogs Size 6.5 Med
- Finn Comfort Stanford 2552 Bronze Womens Mary Jane Clogs Sandals Leather
- NIKE Air Max Zero Essential Noir Noir 876070 006
- Gentlemen/Ladies DC Women's Trase SE Skateboarding Shoe Complete specification a wide range of products Modern mode
- Cole Haan Mens 10.5 M Oxfords Apron Toe Shoes Black Leather Upper (F28)
- 76937 BKGY Skechers Men's Work Millenium Strikes Athletic Steel Toe Black/Gray
- New NIKE TANJUN (812654-011) MENS FASHION SNEAKERS RUNNING SHOES
- J CREW Crop Horse GENUINE LEATHER TALL RIDING DRESS BOOTS WOMENS SHOES SIZE 7
- Steve Madden Black "Waltz" Wedge Platform boots Boots Sz 10
- CROCS SUPER MOLDED WEAVE CROCBAND WELLIE RAIN SNOW BOOT SHOE~Pink Berry~W 4~NWT
- Sugar Vale boot women's black over the knee tall boot size 8
- NEW Louise Et Cie Andora Womens Black Leather High Boots US Size 6.5 M Shoes 583
- Quiksilver Snow Men's Territory Layer Top - Choose SZ/Color
- SAUCONY men shoes Red suede and tech fabric sneaker S70363-1
- Del Toro Shoes x Katherine Bernhardt NEW Chukkas. Boots, Size 11 US 10 UK, $400
- KEEN NEWPORT H2 Waterproof Mens Sport Sandals Sz 14/47.5 Outdoor
- Repetto Women's 38.5 7.5 Black Suede Ballet Flats Metallic Check Ballerinas VGUC
- LIGHT up "YOUR" shoes kit fits Mens or Womens Nike size 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
- Mr/Ms PUMA Women's Basket Glitter Wn Platform Exquisite (middle) workmanship Win highly appreciated best seller
- Ameritac 9" Side Zip Suede Leather Combat Work Outdoor Men's Desert Tan Boots
- MEN'S SEARS VINTAGE WESTERN BOOTS SIZE 8D STYLE 87413 CINNAMON BROWN
- Schnee's Montana II ADV Mens 9 400g Winter Boots Handcrafted in Bozeman MT rw
- Belleville Men's Size 6 Leather 610ZST Tactical Steel Toe Boots Military
- Vintage Merrell Millennium Hiking Boots Made In Italy Vibram Soles Men’s Size 10
- SUBMARINE London Desert Boot New Aberdeen Suede SML720032 Grey Polacchina 2017
- men's shoes U.S. POLO ASSN. 12 () mocassins blue textile AP272-D
- Pierre Hardy Black Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Givenchy Blush Pink Nude Egyptian Heel Knee High Boots/Booties Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Bethany Moc Flats Size US 8.5 Narrow (Aa, N)
- Nike HypervenomX Finale II IC Indoor Soccer Cleat Shoes Green Orange Size 11
- DSQUARED Men's Shoes 565955 Brown 42
- Saucony Originals Mens Jazz Lowpro Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
- Nike zoom Kobe ICON JCRD Size 10.5
- Adidas Alphabounce Womens DA9971 White Grey ForgedMesh Running Shoes Size 8
- Nike Revolution 4 Womens Style : 908999 Black/White/Anthracite Womens Size 11
- Converse Hello Kitty Chuck Taylor All Star Low 162947C SZ 11.5 Women's Shoe
- CARLOS SANTANA "FALCON" SHOE BOOTS - BLUE - SZ. 6 - NEW IN BOX
- Nike Roshe One 511881-023 Laufschuhe Running Sneaker Joggen Freizeitschuhe
- Adidas Stan Smith J Black Womens Trainers
- Women's boots high knee length with high heel Boot leather black made in italy
- Franco Sarto Women's Aberdale, Black, 10 M US
- Sweet Womens Girls Bling Bling Pointy Toe Slip On Loafers Flats Heels Walk Shoes
- Women's Lifestride, Viva Slip on Loafer DENIM 6.5 W
- TORY BURCH Reva Black Silver Logo Ballet Flats SZ 7.5M
- Klogs Usa Tucker Black Tintoretto Womens Slip-On Size 8M
- Esquivel Womens Slides Gold Kiltie Black Leather Size 11
- TORY BURCH 'Minnie' Travel Ballet Flat Black Leather Logo Shoes Size 6.5 M
- SUPERGA 2750 COTU CLASSIC NAVY Sneakers NWT $98 Sz 7
- Nike Dualtone Racer Womens Style : 917682 Black/White/Dark Grey Womens Size 7
- Man/Woman Saucony Men's Guide 10 Running Shoes the most convenient Beautiful Vintage tide shoes
- Women Size 10.5 Wide Comfort Diabetic Shoe SURE FIT Valencia S325 Black Gray
- Z-CoiL Women's Toffler Slip Resistant Black Leather Clog Sandal 10 C/D US
- Aquatalia Neil Brown Nut Calf Leather Weatherproof Penny Loafers - Men's 8.5 M
- VT1150 Vass ASCOT - Oxblood & Green MusCalf - US 11 - K Last
- New Summer Mens Casual Hollow Out Sandals Father Mesh Slip On Breath Shoes Size
- Clarks Tilden Walk Oxford - Men's Size 8.5 M, Brown
- Man/Woman Men's Clarks Shoes Ryley Street sell Sales Italy Seasonal promotion
- Nice Orange Leather Ladies Boots Made in Italy, Size 8 M, Nice Italian Leather
- Tommy Hilfiger Hamden Boots New
- Lamb King Bootie Shoes Green Size 8
- Jessica Simpson women's Ankle booties Dark Brown 7 M
- WOMENS SAM EDELMAN Over The Knee Boots Paloma Tall Suede Boot OTK Black 5.5 $225
- ALDO Men's Krasnoff Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- TSUBO "Tycho" Men's Sneaker Shoes Cuir Blue US 9 / / (rrp:)
- HOGAN MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW H321 BLUE 1CA
- Jordan Hydro 7 Bred Mens AA2517-062 Black Red Wings Logo Slide Sandals Size 12
Nina Black Coella Open-toe Dress Pump Heels Luster / 38 Eu Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Vince Camuto Toast Brown Massi Open Toe Mid Heel Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Vince Camuto Smoke Taupe/ Flsh Gold Vc-follie Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)J.Crew Tan Leather with Gold Metallic Lara Glitter Peep-toe Heels Sandals Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Christian Louboutin Black Espadrilles Flats Size US 8 Narrow (Aa, N)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Rachel Zoe Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Christian Louboutin Brown 37.5 It Platform Thigh High Over Knee Lady Daf Red Toe Otk Suede Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Tory Burch Black Wedges Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Melissa Purple Clear Beach Slide Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Zara Coral Peach Orange Patent Leather Loafers Flats Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Cole Haan Orange Chelsea Ot Sling D39658 Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Cole Haan Brown Euc Suede Leather Women Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Pour La Victoire Red Pointed Toe Astrid Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Salvatore Ferragamo Black Open B Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,J.Crew Sea Green and Natural C7228 Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Diane von Furstenberg Burgundy Dvf Suede Platforms Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Tory Burch Black/Brown/Leopard Calf Hair Reva Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Zara Black Suede Beaded Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Free People Colorful Thaikila Sandals Size US 7 Regular (M, B)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Salvatore Ferragamo Grey and Pink Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Donald J. Pliner Silvery Brown Low Heels Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Casadei Beige Leather Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Zara Black Pointed Toe Buckle Heels Pumps Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Donald J. Pliner Dolly Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Prada Green 641017 & Ivory Woven Leather Slide Sandals Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Linea Paolo Black Patent Pumps Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)Keds White Leather "Champion Pennant Baseball" Sneakers Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given