Repost of an Valentino Sandals Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B) from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Vince Black Cori Sneaker Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Joie Creme Espadrille Sneakers Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)Cole Haan Brown Metallic Air Bria Flats Size US 10 Narrow (Aa, N)
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Salvatore Ferragamo Black Suede Leather Pumps Size US 7 Wide (C, D)
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Emilio Pucci Green Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Stuart Weitzman Blac Low Heels Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B) History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Salvatore Ferragamo Black Open B Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Pour La Victoire Dark Green Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B) Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Zara Black Metallic Heel Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Stuart Weitzman Python Loafers Flats Size US 7.5 Narrow (Aa, N)Frye Carson Collapsible Ballet Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Donald J. Pliner Black Slip On Leather Mules
- DANSKO BLACK CLOG SHOES size 39 Uniform Wear 8.5 VERY STURDY Low Heels 8 1/2
- Z-Coil FREEDOM CLASSIC WHITE Covered WOMENS FW-02417-W Comfort Wide Shoes Zcoil~
- Hugo Boss Men's Gymm Neo Black Sport Sneakers Shoes Sz: 13
- Lovers Sports Shoes Casual Net Shoes Running Shoes Men's Shoes Women's Shoes
- Propet Mens Sergio Slip Resistant Work Shoe Black Waterproof Leather 10 M US
- Chuck Taylor All Star Converse Ct HI Dark Atomic Teal Unisex sneakers 157613F
- Puma Suede Classic Men's Sneakers Black-White 352634-03
- Womens mini bow Boots 6 Colors Available
- Tony Bianco Gidget Black Womens Shoes Casual Boots Ankle
- $139 BCBG BCBGeneration Women BG-Joesana Suede Ankle Bootie Shoe, Black, US 8.5
- Clarks Women Black 9.5M Merrian Rayna Knee High Leather Liteweight Boot Shoes
- Bare Traps Adalyn Black Suede Water Resistant Ankle Boots NEW
- Man/Woman Palladium Men's Pampa Oxford Special purchase Year-end sale Fashion dynamic
- GREEN GEORGE men shoes Black polished leather penny loafer made in Italy rubber
- Dansko Pro XP Waterproof Clog - Men's Size 12.5/13, Black
- 2018 Mens Roman Summer Straps Hollow Out Baotou Beach Weave Casual Shoes Sandals
- Man/Woman RIGHT NINA S BEIGE fashion Strong value Exquisite processing
- Men Soccer Cleats Sneakers Fashion Outdoor Football Training Shoes Breathable
- NEW Mens Warrior Lacrosse Burn 8.0 Mid Cleats - Choose Size & Color!
- Base London men's Marauder Beige Wax Suede Chukka Boot 44EU/11M
- Itasca Contractor Men's Steel-Toe Hiking Boots size 11.5 [ Taupe ]
- Keen Tacoma 8" XT CSA Sz 13 2E WIDE Water/Shock Proof Steel Toe Work Boots
- BATA INDUSTRIALS Polyblend Rubber Boots 9 Steel Shank Toe Slip Resistant Black
- Mens Punk Roman Buckle Strap Casual Pointed Toe Rivet Combat Ankle Boots British
- Dockers Men's Boots Winter Boots Yellow GoldenTan Leather 35ve006 NEW
- Atelier Men Shoes 216 Manhattan Suede Chelsea Boot Taupe USA 13 NIB
- Christian Louboutin Purple Iriza 100 Pop Suede D'orsay Heel 35 Pumps Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- ALAÏA Black New Studded Suede 4.5 Inches/110mm Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Vince Camuto Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Lunar Force Air Force Size 7Y Basketball Shoes Tennis Athletic Shoes Red
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 1RETRO HIGH PREM Sneakers kn1542 Red Gray US 10.5 28.5
- Man/Woman: Nike Mid Red Suede: excellent finishing
- NIKE JORDAN WESTBROOK 0.2 854563 704 WHEAT SIZE 10.5
- Adidas BA7973 Women Crazy Elite Training shoes black sneakers
- Nike Air Force 1 '07 Women's Shoes White/White 315115-112
- New Balance Women's 247 CLASSIC LIFESTYLE Shoes Black WRL247FA b
- Patent Leather Ladies Strappy Patry High Heel Shoes Women's Over Knee High Boots
- Nike Classic Cortez Nylon Athletic Men's Running Shoes Sneakers Size 7-10.5
- Nike Mens Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit Size 10.5 Running Shoe Olive Green Tan
- Chic Womens Elegant Pointy Toe Stiletto Pull On Ankle Boots Slim High Heels Size
- Corral Women's Butterfly Embroidery Western Boots L5004
- ECCO Footwear Womens Women's Touch Ankle Strap San - Choose SZ/color
- Ava & Aiden Satin Bow Back Flat
- Trotters Women's Estee Woven Ballet Flat, Dark Red, Size 11.0
- Hot Chocolate Design Chocolaticas New Wave Women's Mary Jane Flat Multicoloured
- Womens Dansko Professional Patent Pink Hibiscus Casual Clog Pro 406960202 37
- Fluevog 7th Heaven Angela Burgundy Rub-Off Size 9
- Cantos New Comfort Shoes Foot Acupuncture Acupressure massage Reflexology CT-S1U
- Adidas Women's Originals Iniki I-5923 Running Training Shoes Boost
- Adidas Originals Women's EQT Support ADV Shoes Size 5 to 10 us BY9110
- SAS Womens Beige Comfort Handsewn Oxford Moccasin Shoes Size 7.5 M
- SAS Women's TRAVELER Brown Leather Comfort Shoe Size 11 M Retails $169
- NEW Ferragamo NICKY Red Leather Gancini Men's Stitched High-Top Fashion Sneaker
- Fashion Men's European style leather Shoes Dress oxfords Casual Shoes US Size
- Mens Shoes Loafers Oxfords Retro Driving Moccasins Casual Slip On Drive Shoes
- 77128 W Wide Fit Black Skechers shoe Memory Foam Work Men Comfort Slip Resistant
- Dockers Lakeside Boat Shoes - Men's Size 12M - Brown
- Franco Sarto Women's Ankle Leather Brown Boots Size 8.5 M (Lot A)
- STYLE & CO LADIES/WOMEN BROWN LEATHER SUEDE FAUX FUR BOOTS SIZE 7 M
- INC Fedee Harness Strap Riding Boots, Cement, 6 US Display
- Demonia Huge 3" Baby Pink Vegan Heart Stud Spiked Creepers Punk Goth Mod 6-11
- Gentleman/Lady Steve Madden Women's Lover Western Boot New Listing Preferred material Most practical
- Lacoste Men's Embrun 316 1 Cam Fashion Sneaker
- G. H. Bass & Co. Men's Brown Tan Paxton Canvas Leather Oxford Shoes Ret $85 New
- NIB Converse Pro Leather 76 Mid White/Candy Grape 156692C US Mens 11.5
- Tommy Bahama Mens Brown Slides Size 7 (414559)
J.Crew Black Pumps Size US 7
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Dior Pink Flat Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Stuart Weitzman Flats Size US 7 Narrow (Aa, N)Cole Haan Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B).
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Zara Blue Abierto Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Zara Rhinestones Slippers Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Sportmax Tan/Black Patent Sandals Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Eileen Fisher Grey Sport Sandals Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Frye Black High Heel Thong Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Salvatore Ferragamo Brown Leather Reptile Design Aa Very Good Condition Pumps Size US 9.5 Narrow (Aa, N)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Donald J. Pliner Pewter Kilo Cutout Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Stuart Weitzman Black Suede S249183 Pumps Size US 7.5 Narrow (Aa, N)
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Tod's Coral Suede Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Tory Burch Nude Thong Leather Sandals Size US 6 Regular (M, B)They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Black Cork Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Ann Taylor Black - Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B) tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Vince Camuto Misty Blue Lancaster Flats Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Kelsi Dagger Black Patent Leather Platforms Size US 7 Regular (M, B)and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Steve Madden Grey Bryanna Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Tory Burch Dark Brown Riding Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. BCBGMAXAZRIA Gold Silver Rose Gold Stunning Snakeskin Metallic Trio Weaved Leather Bcbg Formal Shoes Size US 10 Regular (M, B)The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Black Lomia Suede Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Rachel Roy Rfgenna Brown Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.St. John Black Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)A. Marinelli Brown "Gable" Formal Shoes Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Kenneth Cole Black Reaction Wedges Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Supra Silver High Top Sneakers Sneakers Size US 5
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given