Repost of an NEW Vans SK8 Hi Top Neon Blue White Leather Slim Shoes Sneakers Womens Sz 8 9.5 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
NEW Nike Air Max Body U TB sz 10.5 Red Silver Crimson Basketball Shoes Sneakers
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Puma Sky II Hi Explosive Gray Violet Women's 363374 03 SZ 7SKECHERS EZ FLEX 2 ACCESS Slip On WOMENS Black White 22175M NEW
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Adidas Superstar Up two straps dark blue Womens #S82794 US Size 6
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Under Armour Women's Threadborne Shift Gray Size 7.5NEW Nike DUNK HIGH Skittles Womens 6.5 (5Y) LTD NIB sb NR History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.New VANS Womens Authetic Lite POP PASTEL WHITE/PINK VN0A2Z5JN5Q USW 5.5-8.5TAKSEConverse - Chuck Taylor - Marimekko Hi Top Purple (Women's-9 UK-7 EUR-40) New Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Nike Shox 2007 White Silver Red Sz Wmns 7.5 2007 Release Ds OG Rare
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. NEW NIKE FLEX EXPERIENCE 4 PRINT Running Womens 8.5 (7Y) 749822 300 NIBVANS Sk8 Hi Reissue (Inca) Moonrock/Dachshund WOMEN'S 8Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.9D10 Nike Air Zoom Training Cross Running Walking Jogging Women Shoes Size 5.5
- Women’s Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit Size-9.5 “Glacier Blue” Platinum (849557 014)
- Fabulicious Women's Chic 26 Black Velvet/Satin/Black Matte Party Shoes
- Armani Jeans Trainers AM506/13 Shoes Men Size 11.5 gray black white yellow
- Gentleman/Lady BLACK SHOES MEN'S SIZE 13 Many varieties New design unique
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Camo House Blend Casual Shoes Sneakers Men's Size 8.5
- Propet Landon Sneaker - Men's Size 10H (3E) - Brown
- Men's Cole Haan Black Leather Penny Loafers US 8.5 M
- Amanda Smith Beige Brown Jeans Print Stretch Fabric Bardo Heels Boots 6.5M BN1
- VANS Womens Reily Beige Suede Leather Faux Fur Trim Boots Sz US 10
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Miles Ankle Boots 259, Black, 10 US / 40 EU
- Hot Women England Round Toe Winter Fashion Flats Lacu Up High Top Ankle Boots
- Naturalizer Katrina Gray Leather Ankle Bootie Women's size 10 M New
- Gentleman/Lady Dr. Scholl's Men's Harrington Work Shoe Year-end special promotions stable quality Direct business
- Dr. Martens Men's 1461 CARPATHIAN Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Wolverine Steel Toe Dura Shocks 03159 Boots 8W New
- Merrell Terran Convertible Sandals in Brindle Dark Brown & brown Sugar
- Haflinger Womens 7 Brown Leather Slides Loafers Shoes
- MIZUNO SIZE 7 W Athletic Hi-Top Sneaker Basketball court shoes
- Nike Lunar Superbad Pro TD Mid Mens Football Cleats 534994 Orange Black Sz 14.5
- STEVE MADDEN Men's shoes ankle boots size 9 brown
- Tony Lama Brown Snake Skin Leather Boots Y6281 Men's 9 D
- VTG MENS KNAPP STEEL TOE WORK LEATHER BROWN SHOES SIZE 9 D
- HOMME DICKIES Cleveland Bottes de sécurité pointure travail cuir noir
- AdTec Men's 1443 Engineer Boots 16"
- Mr/Ms used Dr. Marten's M black *M59 Crazy price product quality Popular tide shoes
- Allen Edmonds First Baseman Boat Shoes, Leather Upper, Black/Red, 6,5 3E, New
- Salvatore Ferragamo Men's 'grandioso' Black Leather Loafer 8 1/2 D Formal Shoes Size US 8.5 Wide (C, D)
- Valentino Black Noir Rockstud Cage Thong Sandals Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Alarc Mini-spike Mesh Red Sole Sandal Nude/Gold Pumps Size US 10.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Force 1 Mens 488298 153 white and red low sneakers size 10
- PIERRE HARDY Men's Shoes 144323 Grey 42
- Men's/Women's: 2011 Royal Foamposites: International Big Name
- Nike Air Max Flair 50 Running Shoes Khaki/Black Men's Brand New US Size 10
- Adidas Originals Women's Superstar Slip-On Shoes D96704 18G
- Nike Women's Metcon 1 Training Shoes-BLACK/COOL GREY/VOLT-MULTIPLE SIZES
- Womens Cow Leather Flower Fashion Sneakers Flsts Mules Oxfords Round Toe Slip on
- INC Fabbaa Women's Boots, Dk Chocolate, Size 6.5
- nike SB rabona LR mens trainers 641747 411 sneakers shoes
- NIKE FREE RN MOTION WOMEN SHOES VOLT PINK 843434-999 SIZE 12 (29CM)
- Womens Sexy pointy toe high heels patent Leather knee high Boots shoes New Club
- Tommy Hilfiger Women's Palmyr Combat Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- New. BRUNELLO CUCINELLI Brown Leather Monili-Trim High Boots Shoes 7/37 $2095
- Bridal Womens 2018 pointed toe Wedding shoes Flats Shiny Rhinestone Bridal Shoes
- Man/Woman Eastland Women's Gabriella Clog Excellent craft Fine art Preferred boutique
- Gentlemen/Ladies Klogs Mission - White - Womens Modern and elegant fashion stable quality Cheap order
- Eastland Women's Double Down Brown 8 M US
- The Office Of Angela Scott NWT Gray Metallic Suede "Mr. Holly" Flats SZ 37.5
- Adidas Energy Boost Womens Noble Indigo Aero Blue Hi Res Orange CG3971 Size 8
- Men's/Women's MBT Womens Simba SyntheticM- Pick SZ/Color. bargain Modern design General product
- women's shoes MBT 6 / 6,5 () sneakers purple textile dynamic BT22-37
- Sanita Danish Design Vegan Clogs Women’s Gray/Black Swirl Sz (7.5) VGUC
- Hades Women's Steam Machine Purple Platform Shoes
- Diesel Men's S-Nentish Sneakers Shoes Silver Black
- Mens Printing Loafers Slip On Breathable Leisure Flats Board Shoes Driving Shoes
- Astral Baker Men's 9.5 M Tan Black Cordura Mesh Water Casual Slip On Loafer Shoe
- Mark Nason Los Angeles Men's Landfair Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Vans Mens UltraRange Pro Spitfire Cardiel Black Skate shoes Size 12 VN0A3DOQOM
- NEW GRIZZLY BECKTON WOMENS MERINO WOOL LEATHER FASHION ANKLE BOOTS
- BROWN PILOT-05 Women Zipper Buckle Over the Knee Boot Size 7
- Womens Calvin Klein SHOES TAUPE Brown Suede Boots, Tall Zippers, 9.5 HIGH HEELS
- Enzo Angiolini Daniana Boot- Women's Size 6.5 M, Black
- Georgia GB00142 Giant Womens Brown Rust Leather Twin Gore Slip On Shoes size 8
- (B41768) ADIDAS MENS DEERUPT RUNNER BLACK/WHITE *NEW*
- Men's Real Leather Square Toe Crocodile print Pull On Ankle Boots Flats Shoes sz
- Gentleman/Lady Ana Lublin JENNY Selling high quality Characteristics
- MENS NIKE BENASSI SOLARSOFT SLIDE *705474 090* (FLIP FLOP) ASST. SIZES *NIB*
Nike Free TR 7 Tea Berry Bordeaux Red Women Training Shoes Size 8 904651-603
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Nike Free RN Motion FK 2017 Flyknit Women's Running Shoes 8 New 880846 402 Newthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Nike Sky Hi Red Print 543258-600 Women's Shoes Size 40.5 / 9Man/Woman GEL SONOMA 3 W BLEU SAUMON Good world reputation auction General product.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Adidas Tubular Viral W Granite White S75907 Women’s 8.5, UK7, F 40 2/3 New Box
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. NEW Mizuno Womens Running Shoes - Women's Wave Rider 20 Size 6 (No Box Lid)After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, ASICS GEL-Ds Trainer 22 - Purple - Womenswhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Women New Balance WXNRGv1 Training (Wide D) WXNRGOH Grey White 100% Authentic 11
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Brooks Purecadence 5 Running Shoes Black/Teal Women's US Size 10.5 (C3,18)Saucony Strech N Go Smooth Charcoal Running Women's US 8 Eur 39 (Q3,15)specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.DANIEL Freestone Silver Metallic Leather Flatform Trainers - //US 10.5NEW ADIDAS STAN SMITH W (CQ2823) ADIDAS ORIGINALS CASUAL SHOES SNEAKERS
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. onitsuka tiger womens curreo trainers D4K8N 8088 shoes sneakers asicsWomens Breathable Carved Brogue Sport Shoes Athletic Flats Heel Running Shoes SZThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,[309730-001] NIKE WOMENS NIKE DUNK LOW PREMIUM WOMENS SHOES WHITE / GRAYMUST SEE FABULOUS $104.99 NWT NEW BALANCE MINIMUS GOLF NBGW1005 WOMEN 10 B!! tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Under Armour Performance Spikeless Women’s Golf Shoes 1297176 141 White Size 7.5
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Mizuno yellow/white/blue wave, round-toe, mesh synthetic running shoes, 6and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Altra Lone Peak Zero Drop Mesh Orange Running Shoes Womens Size 8 A2353-1-080dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Saucony Women's Swivel Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Naturalizer Women's Junction Fashion Sneaker, Black, Size 9.0The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, SKECHERS ALPHA LITE WATER MEMORY FOAM LOW WOMEN SHOES FLORAL SN845 SIZE 8.5 NEWcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Original S.W.A.T. Women's Chase Low Military and Tactical Shoe, Black, 9.5 B US tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.ASICS Women's Torrance Easy Running ShoeLadies Belt Buckles Pointy Toe Wedge High Heel Sneaker Sports Athletic Shoes Hot
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nike Size 7 Pink Black Training Sneakers New Womens ShoesValentine's Day Special Heart Print Running Shoes For Women- Free Shipping
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given